Manners....do people know what this word means?

tinamarie1

lol...Terry, are you saying that its something about Virginia??
Cause I wasn't gonna say that...but......
tee hee
oh, the lady from the church (about drum lessons) finally called me back last night during Survivor (what nerve!lol) and at the end of our conversation she said, Mrs. X, Im really sorry you had to leave 3 whole messages for me...ugh! her tone was really like, 3 isn't alot lady, get over it.
My former boss was a senator and he got the "do not call" passed (or so he claims hehe). It is in force and actually my husband will tell telemarketers to put us on a do not call list and they say they will and it will take like 2-3 days. It does not apply unfortunately to businesses. When I was working, we would get soooo many calls a day that were telemarketing.
Oh, an interesting side note is I might be a victim of cultural profiling (hehe)...our last name appears to be foreign, but I assure you I and husband are both as white as wonder bread. But we get stuff in the mail alot in Chinese and even telemarketers that speak chinese. shesh

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
After reading a lot of these posts while I was out yesterday I paid a great deal of attention to everyone around me. Just doing a little survey of my area. Well I was pleasantly suprised that each store my husband and I went to while running errands. Most were actually very polite. I was shocked. Not a one didn't say something a little nicely.

Now the flip side of that is I have a call to make an appointment for one of the kids and some info gathering for me and not a one called back.

Ahhh well can't have it all but I think it must be the benefit of Iowa that they are nicer.

Beth

K

Kjs

did anyone ever have to call about a bill???

My cable bill went up $50 this month. So, I call the number on the bill. Lady says she can see I paid X amount for two years, sorry can't help you. Transfers me to someone else. This is collections...They can't help, they only take your money. transfers me to customer service..get the recording I originally got. After listening to 9 options, I select the same one I did the first time. Now that person sends me to billing. The man I spoke to in billing said he can't help me he only Bills me! Well, that is my problem...my Bill. He transfers me to sales and promotions...the line goes dead!!! I try to call back, the first 15 minutes it's busy. Then go through the recording again. Then I get the nice recording on how much they value my business. They are experiencing high call volume(because everyone transfers everyone the lines are tied up!) So, I put on speaker phone, put some wash in, take a shower, getting ready to drive to the other side of town to the cable company and someone actually answered. 34 minutes and 42 seconds I was on hold.

difficult child is very polite though. He always says thank you. I had a teacher last year tell me he had no problem with difficult child. If he does act up in class he always comes back and says he is sorry. I picked up difficult child the other day when he stayed after for help. As I was sitting in the hall waiting I could hear him say, "thank you Mr. x".

easy child was home when a telemarketer called and they asked for the Lady of the house. easy child told them i was in the shower. They then asked if he was the man of the house. He replied, "no he's in the shower too". End of call, they hung up on him.

F

flutterbee

Manners works in both directions. We can't accuse others of poor manners if we exhibit poor manners ourselves. I hate shopping at the mall or grocery store during business hours. I quickly learn the times they are least busy and that's when I do the shopping...people blocking your view in the aisles and my personal pet peeve: when you're walking and people come right at you and expect you to move out of their way while you have bags on your arms and a kid on or at your hip (I HATE the mall). I feel like I have to be a bulldozer to get through it.

As far as companies and their poor manners, I don't believe it's the staff that is to blame. Companies don't value customers the way they used to. That old adage, "The customer is always right" is no longer applied in many places. For example, how companies try to lure new customers with great deals, but don't offer those same deals to existing customers? They are more interested in acquiring customers than keeping them. Think cell phone companies, cable, etc. It's become a revolving door.

Marg, the people at your McDonald's tell you to "have a nice day"?!! :faint: When I go to McDonald's, I'll say thank you and they respond with, "You're welcome." :rofl: