Mardi Gras beads

wakeupcall

Oh my goodness......I just had a thought!! After all the hype about the lead poisoning in children's toys from China, etc., I'm now concerned about the Mardi Gras beads I sent to my two youngest granddaughters (ages 1 and 3)!! I don't want to panic my daughter, but do you suppose those were made in China and contain lead? Those two little darlings have played with them for six months! And while the three year old seldom put anything in her mouth any longer, there's no way to stop a 1 year old! Do you think there's any way to find out if they were made in China?

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
"When in doubt, toss them out"......that's always my motto. There are too many other things that would be safe. Maybe not toss, but put away until mouthing stage passes....It's just not worth taking the chance.......

wakeupcall

You're right! It's not worth it. I've already called my daughter and told her to do it discreetly...(the girls LOVE them). Isn't it sad that we have to be so cautious of EVERYTHING?

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
It really is scary to think that there is even "still lead paint out there" and it would be used on anything around children.....

skeeter

If you have concerns - tell your daughter to request a lead test at the kids' next well baby physical. It involves taking blood (they fill one of those glass "straws").

When my kids were little we lived in an old house (100 years old) that most probably had lead paint and lead solder on the water pipes. So I routinely had them tested - every year - until they were 6 or 7 years old.
As long as you catch the lead quickly (and quickly would be in a years time) chelation therapy can prevent any long term effects. None of the tests ever came back high for my kids, however.
I have no idea what the cost of these tests are now, but back then they were about $35 and insurance paid for them. Seems a no-brainer and an easy way to put your mind at ease.
In fact, instead of going hog wild about exposure and abatement (often times abatement can make things worse than if you just leave it alone), I think a lead test should be part of a well baby checkup.