Marijuana addict

Justin569

I am a marijuana addict and has been smoking for the last six years. I have tried to quit it many times but just can't stop it. I have become really annoyed and depressive. Why is it so hard to quit? I am looking for good rehab centres(http://www.bellwood.ca/ ) nearby like the bellwood health services and do the drug rehab program from there. If someone can make suggestions, it will be great. I just don't know which way to go.

Praecepta

It seems to me that there is a key time of growing up (around age 18), where there are suddenly all sorts of "adult" problems and stressful situations to deal with. I went through that period of my life without using any alcohol or drugs and learned to deal with these problems by coming face to face with them - thinking about solutions and choosing the best course of action.

Or in other words - deal with it!

And I have noticed other people who used drugs/alcohol during that age are now forever hooked on using. That is their solution to solving problems.

I don't know if this applies to your situation or not, but if it does, perhaps the best thing would be an inpatient facility where you can't use anything and at the same time receive counseling to help you learn to deal with life's difficulties without the use of drugs/alcohol.

Or an outpatient program which would constantly give you drug tests and also the counseling.

Note I do not use drugs or alcohol. I also don't hang around with people who use drugs or alcohol. So that is another thing - get rid of "friends" who are druggies and start hanging around non-drug users!

You can find non-drug users in volunteer groups, churches, walking their dogs in the neighborhood, doing physical activities like hiking, walking, etc. They also eat at restaurants where alcohol is not served and go to entertainment places where alcohol is not served.

Anyway the above is from a person who does not use drugs (me), maybe my suggestions will help you, maybe not. It is all up to you!

worried sick mother

I'm not a drug user either but all I ever hear is how marjuana is not addictive. I do know that it kills dopamine in your brain so you can't really feel good without using. Maybe you could go see a psychiatrist and get prescribed medication to replace the dopamine. I agree to also find new friends who don't smoke marijuana or use drugs, find new activities.

PonyGirl65

Hi Justin,
I'm a recovering addict with 27 years clean :) My drug of choice was marijuana but I had graduated to anything and everything. What worked for me, when I was "ready" as you say you are, was inpatient treatment followed by regular NA Meetings. Let me say that one more time: Regular NA Meetings.

There's a lot of discussion surrounding addiction and the disease/not a disease aspects. Stuff to do with medical/non-medical approaches. I'm not going to debate any of those issues. I'm only going to share with you, what made my life worth living again: Regular. NA. Meetings!

You could google Narcotics Anonymous in your area, see if you are nearby an NA Meeting. Go to one. See what you think. You don't have to talk if you don't want to. Just check it out.

That's my two-cents :)

Peace

BusynMember

I dated a guy long ago who had a really hard time quitting pot, but he had a new child, no motivation, smoked every day, and wanted to quit.for his then wife and daughter. He told me that he went to therapy to quit and had to keep a very strict schedule and to do certain things especially during times he had used pot, such as as soon as he woke up. It worked and he was sober by the time I knew him. Along with that, and he credited giving up pot, he had his first really well paying job ever so that he could support his daughter. He was 35 when I spoke to him, and he had never worked anywhere except carnivals until he quit. He said the psychological addiction to pot was very bad and it was hard to quit. But he did it without rehab and he finally was able to grow up, although he feels using pot for so long gave him memory problems. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. These were his words though.
I hope you stop using this crutch, pot, while you are still young. Pot will only kill your motivation and keep you from becoming the grown man you were meant to be.
You have good insight into yourself. That's huge. Here's hoping you do what you know is best, even though it probably won't be easy. Good luck!

Nancy

Hi Justin. I applaud your honesty and willingness to get help. Unfortunately we can't suggest certain rehab centers on this forum. If anyone knows of a place in your area they can send you a private message. I hope you are successful. We have a lot of treatment centers in our area and more are opening all the time. Once you start networking you will find many avenues open. Do you have any city services that deal with substance abuse in your area? What about any of the hospitals in your area, do they have a treatment center associated with them? Have you gone online looking in your area?

DarkwingPsyduck

I am a marijuana addict and has been smoking for the last six years. I have tried to quit it many times but just can't stop it. I have become really annoyed and depressive. Why is it so hard to quit? I am looking for good rehab centres(http://www.bellwood.ca/ ) nearby like the bellwood health services and do the drug rehab program from there. If someone can make suggestions, it will be great. I just don't know which way to go.

You've certainly chosen an odd forum for your particular issue. This is mostly used by the parents of addicts. Those still struggling with their childrens' addiction. I am a recovering addict, but I am the minority here. There are certainly better forums for you. I would suggest the Need to Talk section of the drugs.com forum. I used that forum for years, during repeated relapse, and recovery attempts. Very good, knowledgeable people, and ALL addicts themselves. Here is a link;

http://www.drugs.com/forum/need-talk/

It is good that you've accepted that you have a problem, and that you can't beat it alone. That is the first, and most important step.

Nancy

You've certainly chosen an odd forum for your particular issue. This is mostly used by the parents of addicts

We all come here from different paths, like yourself a recovering addict. Hopefully Justin will be successful in his search. I am glad he reached out, it's a start.

DarkwingPsyduck

We all come here from different paths, like yourself a recovering addict. Hopefully Justin will be successful in his search. I am glad he reached out, it's a start.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that he should NOT be here. In fact, I hope he stays here. I was merely suggesting a forum that is more in line with what he needs. One that may be of more benefit to him. Sorry if it came off any other way.