Marine boot camp update...

ksm

she was finally able to make a quick call home today. She didn't call us, she called my son, her dad.

He texted that she had been placed in a different platoon as she did not pass some thing. And that was all the info she could say.

I assume that she was put in the physical conditioning platoon...to work her way in to better shape. I knew she wasn't in good enough shape, but my suggestions of being more active was not followed.

From what the recruiter said on Sunday, from then to Friday was all processing. And today, Fruday, they would meet their drill instructor. So that must not have gone well. By this Monday, we should be able to start mailing letters.

I was afraid this would happen...but didn't expect it so soon.

Ksm

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
My friend's son just went to the Army. He was kind of a problem child. Got a DUI a few years ago, couldn't hold a job, drank A LOT.

He had a hard time passing the rifle test but finally did.

Hang in there. I'm sure this is a shock to her system!!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I hope she makes it through. For her sake as well as yours. Maybe she'll surprise everyone and make it.

I'm sure this is a shock to her system!!

Not to make light of this situation, but it made me think of that movie with Goldie Hawn, Private Benjamin. Remember it? She joined the army and it was a real shocker....I remember a line from it that made me laugh.....she said (I'm so paraphrasing, it was 45 years ago!!), "this isn't the army I joined, I joined the one with swimming pools, condos, yoga and nice salons!"

The shock of this particular reality may be just what your granddaughter needs.

Lil

From what the recruiter said on Sunday, from then to Friday was all processing. And today, Fruday, they would meet their drill instructor. So that must not have gone well.

There's no reason to think things aren't going well. Recruits being put in a platoon to work on physical conditioning is not unusual. After all - there's a whole platoon of them! I kind of hope @Jabberwockey weighs in on this. I know he told me he was giving PT a LOT in the Marines. He just doesn't have the "Marine body", you know: broad shoulders, narrow hips, 6-pack abs.

So far so good. She didn't call crying and screaming to come get her!

Ironbutterfly

If focused on a single leaf you won't see the tree
Son was in Marines- Son had to lose more weight once he got in there. He made initial weight requirements. But I remember he passed out in food line one time. They will shift into different areas of focus/plattoon's during first couple of weeks. At graduation, the Marines all ran past the parents, friends and we didn't even recognize him at first.

I remember those first couple of weeks. One phone call first, then weeks before we got a letter. Hubby and I would race to the mailbox. He made it through it all and served 4 yrs even thru Iraqi Freedom in Iraq. Hang in there.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
husband didn't have the typical "manly soldier's body" either. He was into dance and martial arts, though did start running when he signed up for delayed enlistment.

He was small but heavy boned, and wiry. He also had never so much as handled a firearm before going into the Army, and had a heckuva time.

With practice and going through that phase a second time, he passed. Interestingly, after year in Germany, he improved so much that he made the competitive riflery team!

He only weighed about 150lbs in uniform, including boots, and had to uncork the martial arts skills a few times on infantrymen who thought it would be cute to benchpress him.

The military dates back to the days when people were in good shape from working on farms and PE in schools, and when everyone knew how to handle at least a rifle for hunting.

So long as she can pass the basic marksmanship requirements, she's fine. If she follows the training she's given, she'll pass.

As regarding PT, well, an awful lot of enlistees, even back in husband's day, had to go through the PT fitness platoon. husband didn't, but had a time on the runs initially as he'd had his ship date delayed due to a broken ankle and hadn't been able to run for 12 weeks. He could run 2 miles no problem, but it took 3 weeks before he could make time. He never was a fast runner, but could go on a ten mile run or 20 mile march without a problem until some idiot dropped the hitch on a water trailer on his right foot, breaking the hell out of it and leaving him with a permanent limp.

Kalahou

Likely many surprises ahead for her. There are lots of youtube videos with raw footage of Marine corps boot camp and processing, if you haven't checked them out already.

My son went to Army boot camp. ~ Heard his stories about gas mask near-suffocation, digging and sleeping in dirt fox holes for a few days at a time, away from any bathing / bathroom facilities, seeing a fellow recruit be jerked out of the hole when he lost the grip on a live grenade which landed a few feet from him, long overnight marches wearing a pack ... etc...
But there is definitely a sense of accomplishment to make it to graduation.

Keep us posted ksm. Best wishes.

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope she can find the stamina and determination to make it. Just getting there truly is an accomplishment for her! Just a little while ago you were not sure she was even going to make it on the airplane!

My brother was a troublemaker and a difficult child but he made it through Army Boot Camp years ago. If he can, I am sure that she can.

Enjoy letting her Drill Instructors worry about what she is doing and where she is and where all her stuff is!

Southern51

My son spent 4 years in the Army. The PT battalion is routine, many recruits spend a few weeks there before reaching the level where they can pass the PT test and join the training course. I hope she’ll make the most of it and graduate.

KTMom91

Son #2 once considered joining the Air National Guard. He was told to lose about fifty pounds and check back in about a month. During that month he decided to go to college all the way across the country. He came home after college (I think it was a mistake, not many jobs here) and managed to find something NOT in fast food. Miss KT - nope. She didn't want anyone telling her what to do.

Jabberwockey

I was afraid this would happen...but didn't expect it so soon.

Don't borrow trouble that you don't have yet. Placement in the Pork Chop Platoon as its not so affectionately called is, as many others have stated, fairly common place. I was actually working out and trying to get into shape during my delayed enlistment and still ended up in PCP. Remember, its the PHYSICAL CONDITIONING PLATOON, not the trouble makers platoon. You are placed there ONLY to focus on your physical conditioning. It has nothing to do with disciplinary issues.

Phase 1 is rough. The only real objective is to break you down both physically and mentally but while they're doing that they are also drilling basic regulations and what not into you. The simple fact of the matter is that if she wants it, she'll make it, if she doesn't, she wont. If she wants it but is struggling with part of it they will give her help and encouragement. Granted, a lot of that encouragement comes in the form of yelling at you but you can tell based on what and how they are yelling whether they are mad at you or just trying to motivate you.

husband didn't have the typical "manly soldier's body" either. He was into dance and martial arts, though did start running when he signed up for delayed enlistment.

At least he was in shape. My shape was round!

Enjoy letting her Drill Instructors worry about what she is doing and where she is and where all her stuff is!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
At least he was in shape. My shape was round!

LOL Jabber. No. husband was ordered to put on at least 15 lbs before reporting. I had him drinking milkshakes, etc, and we barely skated through. He started dropping weight like crazy in Basic and they put him on extra rations.

He had issues on some long marches under full kit as he was short and thin. When he got tired, the load would tend to over-balance him.