Marine update #3

AppleCori

I am sad that the Marines didn't work out.

I hope she has learned something from her experience.

I knew a woman many years ago who went to job corps. long before I knew her.

She told me stories of how the local men would go "cruising the job corp" (their term for it) on weekends, bringing drugs and alcohol, and looking to pick up job corp girls. The students could have weekend passes. My friend was one of those girls that got caught up in that, and ended up pregnant and dropped out.

I dont know if that happens in other job corps facilities, or just that one.

I guess they are all adults and cant be kept on lock down, though, no matter where they are.

AppleCori

No, it wont work. The only way for him to have on base housing outside the barracks is to be married.

Is this true only for lower ranks, or is this a policy only in the Marines?

My daughter’s boyfriend is in the Army and gets a housing allowance to live off base, and he is single.

BusynMember

Sadly, maybe he is why she enlisted, never a good reason.

Many parents steer off track adult children to the military thinking it will straighten them out or instill discipline that they dont possess. But the military does not rehabilitate people or bend rules for difficult young adults. There are no IEPs. You do what you are told. If you cant, they wont help. They are pickier now than they used to be according to my husband (who could be wrong). The Marines are the hardest...they are our first line of defense in combat.

I am sorry your daughter wont consider Job Corps. It sounds awesome. Maybe the boyfriend will go south and she will agree to give it a chance. Never think never.

Ksm, you are doing so much for your grands.

ksm

Her guy friend is in the army...not marines...but this is typical thinking of hers. A year ago she took off for Louisiana with a guy who used to live here that she was FB friends with. Their friendship lasted about a month in real life. Luckily, he drove back to our state at Christmas and brought her home.

Ksm

ksm

Still no word from DGD. She last called 6 days ago, and it souled like she would be traveling home in a day or two. I don't mind playing the waiting game BUT I leave today to go out of state because my nephew passed. There is a memorial service tonight in the home town where my brother lives and nephew grew up. Then Friday night, a candle light service by the brotherhood of his fire fighters family. Then Saturday a celebration of life also by the fire department.

Tomorrow my husband will meet up with me for the Friday night service. We won't be nearby if she finally calls and say they are putting her on a bus or plane! Of course we can't call the boot camp. The recruiter can't give us updates. I can't get messages to her.

My nephew was 38. He, his wife and two children were on vacation on the east coast, he collapsed and his wife, an RN did CPR until ambulance got there. He could not be revived. Two months ago, he climbed 121 flights of stairs in full fire gear for the yearly 9/11 memorial stair climb... This is also hard for me as my son collapsed at age 39 and his girlfriend, a nurse, did CPR for 8 minutes until ambulance arrived and did the defibrillator shocks that started his heart. He now has an implanted defibrillator.

I have been an emotional wreck this week... Ksm

Lil

ksm, I am so sorry for your family's loss. How shocking and sad.

As for your Difficult Child, well...she got herself into this and if she has to sleep in a bus station or a shelter for a day or two, she'll live. I know that sounds cold, but you can't ignore life and obligations to other people waiting for her to call. She'll be fine.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
KSM
I am so very sorry for your loss. Your Difficult Child is not so poised about planning with you so don’t be so concerned about her.

She needs to figure this out and you need to be white your northern and his family. Don’t let her lack of planning and respect for others create unnecessary chaos for you.

Travel safely.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry for your loss. Worry about your relatives at the memorial and not DGD. She will figure herself out. She certainly always did when she stayed out all night or couch surfed. Leave her plans for her to worry about. You don't even know if she got off the bus with someone she met as she processed out to party with them for a few days. Anything can happen with someone that fluid about plans. Focus on what you CAN deal with and control. Not the DGD that flows through plans like water.

ksm

Just got home from nephews service. It was very touching and beautiful.

Worn out. Still no word from older D C. I checked phone messages, plus she would have called DS...but he hasn't heard either...

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Hey KSM

I am please the services went smoothly. How strange not to hear from her. Well no doubt she will show up soon enough.

ksm

I got a call today. She flies home tomorrow. I won't know the time until she calls again tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that she has learned something from this ordeal.

ksm

She's home. The one hour drive home went well. She even said she wanted to make appointment with the psychologist as she does think she is bipolar, she was diagnosed with a mood disorder a couple years ago. She thought she had been on a high/manic phase when she signed up for the marines. Then was in a depressed mood for several weeks before time to ship out to boot camp.

I am hoping she will follow thru... But she doesn't want to take medications... I tried to explain that medication is usually the best way to treat BiPolar (BP)...and when it's under control, she will get more successful and have better relationships.

Ksm

BusynMember

Its the only cure for bipolar. medications. Bipolar, like diabetes and epilepsy, is a medical condition.

It boggles my mind that our kids will take street drugs, but not take corrective prescribed medication.

I am glad she is home safe.

Jabberwockey

It boggles my mind that our kids will take street drugs, but not take corrective prescribed medication.

Its not so far fetched if you stop and think about it. We all tend to be fairly stubborn, thinking we know what's best for ourselves no matter what. The problem is that they only see the temporary fix the street drugs give and not the long term damage that they do. It doesn't help that a VERY common complaint about prescription medication, especially for bi-polar individuals, is the fact that it makes them feel different than how they're used to feeling. They just cant grasp the concept that that's the whole point! Fear of change, even when its potentially beneficial.