Martian Child - difficult child adoption/movie

Star*

call 911........call 911
If you have EVER considered how a child 'may' feel who was dumped and labeled difficult - watch this movie -

Even DF sat with me and watched it - difficult child too - and it is incredible.

Joan and John Cusack star - and the little boy starts out in a box - and thinks he's from Mars for real - and the story explains and unfolds how kids feel and what difficult child's go through.

I give it 5 stars.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Yes - Martian Child. I have been told there is a book - I can't find it.

Someone in WC said it was a true story!

LittleDudesMom

Star,

I remember see the previews for that movie and thinking it looked like a good one. I'll be visiting Netflix this evening.

Sharon

navineja

husband and I watched it last week. It was insightful regarding the way that the child perceives things and made me think. What I didn't like though was that everything was wrapped up in a neat little package by the end and the child was able to overcome all his issues just by the love of the parent. Like husband said "If only it was that easy"! But all in all it was a good and thought-provoking movie, in my opinion.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Fran (laughing to myself)

I thought the same thing as you did about the neat little package - but when I told DF my thought - he said "Well who in the H would want to watch a real life story about a difficult child? I live it and I don't want to be in it most times."

And we had a good laugh....yes, you're correct it did all work out great and quick. Other than that - I thought it was interesting.

tammyjh

husband and I watched it this last weekend and really enjoyed it quite a bit. What we liked the best was the "dad's" ability to think outside the box for this little guy. It did say that the movie was based on actual events....if there is a book, I would like to read it too. Yeah, the ending was a little to easy but I'll give them a pass as the rest of it was pretty good:laughing:

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I, too, want to see this. I think it's coming on OnDemand cable as well.

I found the book:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Martian-Child-Single-Father-Adopting/dp/B000F6Z9SM/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204050770&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: The Martian Child : A Novel About A Single Father Adopting A Son: David Gerrold: Books[/ame]

Looks like they changed the story a bit, for one, the adopting father was a single, gay man. It has some very good reviews on Amazon. I may order it. Note that the link above is to an out-of-print hardback edition, but there are paperback editions out there that you can find at the bottom of the page. I linked the hardback page because it had more reviews.

Indianamomof4

I just saw this movie Saturday night... my gosh it was so heartwarming. I agree with the 5 stars. SO and I watched it together and although I was tired, I was just so drawn to it.