Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Crazymama grows dirt and rocks....I kill houseplants! LOL Actually my garden doesn't do too bad. But, I'm not the most timely of weeder so sometimes you have to go on an expedition to find what I've grown.

DammitJanet

Well she may have skuppernongs but I have muscadine's! Well I personally dont have them but Tony's grandma had them and they still are growing on the land she lived on which is right next door to ours. Along with her wild roses and other wild flowers that she planted and have now taken over her field.

I also have flowers that Jamie planted the year before he left for bootcamp in front of my house. A whole can of wild flowers. He also planted about 5 irises around a telephone pole...lol. And a pear tree.

We also have those wild plums...gosh they are good!

witzend

Our land used to be a hazelnut (filbert) orchard, but we removed the last two from the yard about 5 years back. They're massive bushes. I still find volunteers coming up.

When I was about 3 my mom had a surgery and I stayed with my grandparents. My grandma had Alzheimer's and her name was Hazel. They lived on her brother's land in a trailer. My grandpa and I would go out walking by the river or in the fields after dinner. One night he showed me hazelnuts. I said "Hazel. That's grandma's name." "Yep. She's Hazel, and she's a nut."

;)

mstang67chic

Going Green
Heyyyyyyy....never thought of that! LOL One year we bought this black sheeting stuff. Covered the entire garden with it and poked holes through it to plant. That worked pretty well but we didn't do that this year.

muttmeister

When my kids were little, I had a HUGE vegetable garden. Did all of the canning, freezing, drying, pickling, etc. I saved my grass clippings (they were untreated) and all of the weeds I pulled to use as mulch around the hills of stuff and even down some of the rows. It worked great and was FREE!