Massage

Malika

My son had a kind of meltdown on Sunday - combination of lack of sleep (travelling and changed routine), too much excitement and the usual "trigger" of not getting something he wanted. We were staying with a friend who is a yoga teacher and has practised massage. She suggested to him that she give him a massage with a kind of roller thing... several small wheels set on a handle. He eagerly agreed and lay still while she rubbed him all over, head to foot. Afterwards he was noticeably calmer, in a sweeter and more amenable mood. I am thinking that a regular massage session, maybe morning and evening, might be helpful.

keista

Yes, it most certainly can be helpful. There is also a technique used on kids with sensory issues called "brushing" I had tried this on my son, and he enjoyed it, but we did not see any noticeable results for him. DD1 likes her feet rubbed when she's in a depressive episode. She likes it all the time actually, but during an depressive episode, it seems to clear her thinking from negative to at least neutral so she can fall asleep.

Malika

Yes, I'd like to know more about brushing.
I tried massaging my son this morning but it wasn't exactly successful. He just went into fits of giggles and kept wriggling all the time, saying it tickled him. This was on his bare skin; he seems very sensitive to the touch.

LittleDudesMom

When my difficult child was younger, he was responsive to "massage" in the upper back and shoulders after a "raging" episode. It would really help calm him when I would rub his upper back and shoulders firmly. This was not in the midst of a rage or even a few minutes after, but more like 30 minutes later. Touching during a rage was a no-no and immediately after he needed silence and calm.

I don't think we truly realize the benefit of touch.

Sharon

H

HaoZi

Mine is one that you don't touch when she's angry unless it's to stop her from doing damage. Trying to just touch her shoulder, let alone hug her, just makes things worse.

Malika

Ah, yes, I should point out that the calming massage my son had at the weekend occurred AFTER the storm had passed. I imagine that if one had tried to approach him to massage during his frenetic crying, he would have just fought it off. I wonder what would happen if one could catch the brewing storm before it breaks and head it off with a brisk rub-down?! Might work...

H

HaoZi

I don't about brisk, lol. I have this fuzzy vibrating neck massager snake thing that Kiddo likes to use.

TerryJ2

Good idea.
I cannot sneak up on my son, (even when I think I'm being loud) because he'll jump a mile, and it's even worse if I touch him.
But he loves, loves, loves deep pressure maggage.
I offered to buy him a "professional" massage for his birthday and you'd have thought I'd sold him to a prostitution ring. 14 is definitely the wrong age.
Anyway, it does calm him down, and it also keeps him in his seat if we rub his shoulders and we're at a long speech or movie or something.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Mine is one that you don't touch when she's angry unless it's to stop her from doing damage. Trying to just touch her shoulder, let alone hug her, just makes things worse.

Mine? Even if it's to stop her doing damage you don't touch her when she's angry. Not unless you want to get hurt.

H

HaoZi

I rather meant damage to herself or to others instead of items, but she's also a lot smaller than Onyxx. And really, if Kiddo's doing it to that extent, I'm likely to get hurt either way, so I toss the don't touch rule at that point in favor of limiting the damage.

Malika

Can I ask you a question, HaoZi? Did Kiddo have these rages when she was little too or did it get worse as she got older?