May I Please Have Some Bead Rattling - Prayers

jal

I post, but not a lot. I need some positive thoughts & prayers. I know it's probably futile, but my grandmother fell from the top of her stairs today. She turned 94 on Saturday and lives alone. With 2x daily visits from my uncle and 3x a week home companion. She broke her nose and her neck. She gashed open her forehead. They have her in the hospital and are placing her in an induced coma because her injuries are life threatening. She cannot survive any surgery. My uncle signed the DNR.

I'm sick about this. I didn't visit on Saturday (her birthday) , but I called her & talked with her. I live 5 minutes away. How guilty am I?

Don't get me going about her not having 24 hour care. Having a difficult child, I've been vocal! I have always been vocal to family that she is going to fall. My biggest fear for her. My family is not ignorant or ignoring, but uncle controls majority although brother and sister have a lot of say... There is no malice or anything involved. I believe more of a willingness to accept things are going OK now, so that is how they will continue to go type attitude. It was inevitable, given her declining health/mobility. She is of thin frame and just under 5'.

She is the absolute matriarch of my maternal side of the family. 3 children, 7 grands, 5 great grands. She doesn't deverve to go out like this, so violently.

She is loved by all of the family. She is generous and loving and wise. I am so sick.

We need a miracle.

Thank you.
JAL

Jody

Definately sending prayers and hugs to you and your family. Please don't feel guilty about anything you sound like a loving grandaughter!!!!

busywend

Sending positive healing thoughts to your grandma! And super hugs to you and your family for the stress and worry.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh, sweetie! :hugs: I'm sending good vibes and lots of prayers.

Don't feel guilty - you talked to her - you remembered. That's the important part.

trinityroyal

Please don't feel guilty. This is not anything you could have controlled.
Saying many prayers for your grandma, and your whole family.

DDD

Jal, I'm really sorry. I think it is natural to feel like it's our responsibility to protect everyone we love from every possible bad situation but sadly we just can't do that. You have given of your heart and your time and that is precious. She likely only had a brief realization of what happened and the medical professionals have now assured that she is not feeling pain. That
should be comforting to you. Prayers and best wishes coming your direction. Hugs DDD

jal

Thank you to each and every one of you. It really means a lot. I won't know more until later. My parents are headed to her now and difficult child has the holiday off today so he and I are at home. He wanted to go, but she is so badly injured facially that it's not an option. In conjunction to her broken nose and neck, her ocipital bone is broken and she has a small hole in her esophagus that is allowing air to get into her face and neck under the skin.

cubsgirl

I'm so sorry - many prayers being sent for you and your family. I'm glad that you talked to your grandma on her birthday - don't feel guilty - you remembered and connected with her and I am sure she appreciated it. ((hugs))

jal

Thank you again to everyone. Maybe this board really does have power. They took her out of the induced coma today. They removed her breathing tube, but she only made it around 10 min on her own and they put it back in. But she is on a morphine drip, is squeezing may parents hands and opened her eyes today! She was coherent when this happened although her short term memory is shot.

I met my mom at grandmothers house today. The blood was unreal. Without going into graphic detail, I was able to recount most of her steps due to the evidence up and down the house. She must have been in such shock with an adrenile rush. She, fully dressed, took a header down 13 carpeted stairs. Made her way around the house for tissue, phone, etc. Went back upstairs and removed her blood soaked top and threw on something else.

Unreal how she made her way around.

Again, I thank you all.