maybe it's working?

crazymama30

So I know it is kinda soon, and I hope I am not cursing myself. But difficult child was nicer today than he has been in months. Calmer, more relaxed, respectful, and even thoughtful! I am really hoping that the abilify is kicking in and that this change will last. This is what he did last time we increased the abilify, and it lasted several months.

I do get concerned about the amount he is on, it seems like so much and he is such a small guy. If he did not benefit so much from it we would not do it, but without the medications he just cannot function. I worry about what will happen as he gets older, we cannot just go higher on the doses indefinately. It does me no good to worry about this, but I just cannot help it.

Anyways, here's hoping the change lasts.

pepperidge

Glad to hear you are seeing some benefit from the higher dose of Abiify. I think I have read--p
robably here, LOL, that Abilify tends to peter out after a time. That was our experience. I have to say though that my son who couldn't tolerate stims at all when he was younger at the age of 13 was able to tolerate them and the teachers report that they have seen improvements in focus. We still see issues but I am glad that we are getting better reports from school. Perhpas maturation, what there if of it, has helped too.

All this by way of saying that that puberty may alter things some and require medication changes but also may mean that certain things will work that didn't previously. Day at a time, and hope the search for a new psychiatrist is going well. That will certainly facilitate things.

Good luck. Glad you have found a few moments of relative calm.
P.

crazymama30

I am going to start making calls tommorrow to set up appts for me to meet with new psychiatrists. I am kinda nervous, as we have never had to do this before, but oh well. At least I have some time.

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm glad the change is working. I hope it continues.

I must have missed something. Why are you interviewing new psychiatrists?

crazymama30

Flutter, our current psychiatrist will be leaving the area sometime within the next year. I don't want to wait untill the last minute, so I am going to start making appts and figure out who we want to go with. We don't have many options in this are, so I will be interviewing some nurse practioners too.