Mayonnaise jars and light bulb moments.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
What can I say? My mother missed teaching me this important and useful skill when we were in the kitchen discussing the finer points of sandwich making.

This morning, as I was making lunches for the kiddos, BEFORE I'd had even so much as a DROP of coffee, I had a flash of what can only be described as divine inspiration (for me, anyway). I was down to the last residual smears of mayonnaise in a 64 oz jar -- which, as some of you may know, is too small to get one's hand into without getting slimed and too large to use a butter knife to effectively reach all the way to the bottom to get at the last of the spread.

Then it hit me! I got out a rubber (okay, now they're made of silicone) spatula and VOILA! I easily scraped out nearly every last molecule of mayonnaise without slathering my hand or pulling a muscle! I am so amazed at my ingenuity. SO AMAZED. :winks: I will TRY not to let this go to my head.

And now, it's time for coffee. :mornincoffee:

Mom2oddson

I finally got husband into the habit of using the spatula, now that is all that he uses.

Way to go on being able to think before Coffee!!! I forgot to put the cup under the coffee maker this morning....I can't do anything, including making coffee without having my coffee first!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
HD, I think we are in GOOD company on that one!

Step, that's the part that surprised me the most :)

M2O -- I bow before you! :bow:

TM -- Shut your mouth! May day is going to be AWESOME because it will end with my annual WINE (Women In Need of Entertainment) group's holiday party tonight!

Loth, I put up a good front, don't I? :winks:

BW, I'm gonna remember that!

InsaneCdn

You actually use a knife to spread anything except butter?
A knife is to CUT. Spatula is to SPREAD.
Only exception is if you are seated at the table... OR spreading butter (e.g. making sandwiches).

Hmmm... guess I'm a back-country hick.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
IC, I use a butter knife for just about everything -- it's a screwdriver, it's a scraper, it's a pry bar, it's a swizzle stick... it's not just for butter anymore! :rofl:

InsaneCdn

Umm... what is a "butter knife"?
We have... butcher knives, and paring knives, and filleting knives, and table knives... butter knife?
You mean that teeny tiny bit of a thing that they use on a formal table setting?
You actually HAVE one?

Second point... I'm sending in the health inspectors.
Using the same tool for food, as for fixing stuff, HAS to be a major health risk.
I mean, really... would you use a screw-driver to spread your mayo?

<sigh>
What has this world come to?

(he he he... thanks for the laughs! and... yes... I have my OWN tool-box - separate from the guys, 'cause they don't know how to look after their stuff, and trust me, you don't want to be around a mad mama who's looking for a hammer and a saw...)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well I was just FLOORED - at your genius- because when you said you got out a rubber???????

I was like - WHAT THE ?????????? IS SHE KIDDING ME? US?

And then stopped cold trying to picture you working that over ----what? A few fingers, a hand????? and WHY........no gloves????? I mean A++ for being a genius

AND THEN?

I saw the word...spatula - and felt like a real........ perv......
:groan:thanks for that.

H

HaoZi

:rofl: :rofl:

(I'm laughing because I have never in all these years thought to do that)

I laugh because I didn't know anyone that didn't do that (grew up watching my Dad do it, learned the value of narrow spatulas vs wide ones), yet I managed to screw up my own coffee this morning. Dumped my creamer and sweetener in the cup and promptly filled it with hot water instead of coffee. DOH!

Lothlorien

I've got every sized spatula....even this super skinny one that works on ketchup bottles! I guess I'm a spatula connoisseur! lol

gcvmom

Here we go again!
IC, down south here in the lower 48, at least in MY little corner of suburbia, ill-mannered and uncultured urchins that we are, we call a "table knife" a "butter knife" because it's only sharp enough to cut butter, and although I DO have what is formally referred to as a "butter knife," it is buried somewhere in the deep recesses of one of the drawers -- either that or one of my kids stole it to use with Play-Doh.

So yeah.

If I can't get the lid off the frozen O.J. tube, I pull out my trusty BUTTER KNIFE :rofl: and pop the lid off. And no, the knife doesn't go back in the DRAWER after that. It gets washed. Or if I can't get the screw on my stand mixer tightened with my thumb nail, out comes the BUTTER KNIFE, cuz I know I won't slip up and slice my finger off with it. And the garage is just way too far to bother with a REAL screwdriver.

Just call me MsGyver!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
HaoZi -- at least your coffee cup was right-side-up when you poured the water in. I've tried pouring coffee into my cup without noticing it was upside down until there was a hot puddle on the counter. :hammer:

H

HaoZi

Wait... I thought a table knife and steak knife were the same thing... but a butter knife is always a butter knife. WTH have I been using on my food?

InsaneCdn

A table knife and a steak knife and a butter knife are three entirely different things.

A table knife... is what some people around here call a butter knife - its the knife that gets put beside your plate almost every meal... unless you are having steak.
A butter knife... is the stubby little thing that comes with formal silverware and gets used for the big butter dish at turkeyfests.
A steak knife... is usually very sharp, with a serrated edge that will cut ANYTHING, including you and/or the cutting board.

(and yes, we have all three and use all three... )