McDonald's (Star this one is for you!)

shellyd67

So anyhow, some of you may have read my prior threads about difficult child's obsession with Mickey D's.

Star has given me some great advice in the past. The 1st being to sing him the Burger King theme. LOL

Anyhow, this afternoon his usual nagging began about having McD's for lunch.

husband and I said no and that we had some great stuff in the fridge and let's all have a nice lunch together.

He stomped off and yelled down the stairs " Ugh ! You two are impossible!"

husband and I looked at eachother and husband said quietly, " look who is calling the kettle black !"

We laughed for a good 5 minutes.

difficult child relented and came down to the table and said he would sit with us but not eat.

Once we all began to eat he chowed down and said how great it was.

After his belly was full and his mood was much better, we once again explained McD's is OK once in awhile but not as much as he wants it.

The healthy eating issue came up and we told him about the movie "supersize" and then he said, " I am never eating fast food again! "

We see how long that lasts.... LOL Atleasts until tomorrow after school :rofl:

DammitJanet

Shelly have you checked to see if there are any episodes online of Jamie Oliver's show? That might also be good for him.

It's good that he actually seems receptive to what you're saying. Since he's only 10 he doesn't have the money to go there all the time, so let him know the once a week time he actually can go there, and maybe, if does x or y he can go 2 times a week. Just keep giving him those good meals and nutritonal advice. ADHD and ODD...my difficult child as well....and he does love to eat.

svengandhi

What is it about McDonald's that he likes so much? Is it the food, the toys, the play area? If it's the food, you can make your own HEALTHY versions - turkey burgers on a whole grain bun with pickles and ketchup, or your own chicken nuggets with special dipping sauces? If it's the toys, buy a couple of little 99 cent toys and package them for him with his gfgburger or nuggets as a special treat.

I used to take my kids to McDonald's once a week and buy a 20 pack of nuggets for $4.99 and let them play at the play area. That stopped when difficult child was about 3 and had to be physically removed from the play area by 4 burly Ronald McDonald types...

I agree with watching Supersize me - it helped my family realize how bad that stuff is, although we usually had BK since there's no Mickey D's in our town.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I watched a Modern Marvels on how fast food is made.

I will NEVER eat a Chicken McNugget again.

At least the breakfast sandwiches aren't too far out there...

shellyd67

Svenghandi, it is the food itself. difficult child is 10 and has not had a happy meal with- a toy in ages.

My healthy version of McD's doesn't cut it and we have no playplace in our McD's.

I keep thinking of the Eddie Murphy joke about him wanting McD's and his mom making him a "house" burger.

McD's is one of difficult child's obessions I guess ....:sigh: