Medical question about meth...

ksm

First a little history. Difficult Child was sick two weekends ago...stuffy head, sore throat, watery eyes. I took to doctor and they had us take OTC Sudafed. And an allergy pill.

Next week, she has a horrible ear ache, and during the night, bloody fluid drains out. I take her to walk in clinic, ruptured ear drum. Dr said the previous weeks head congestion let to ear problem. We see ENT Dr. tomorrow.

Question... She has tested positive for meth in this time frame. I found a rolled up piece of paper in her purse. So snorting meth.

Related? I think so... Any body else's Difficult Child have similar problem due to meth?

Ksm

Teriobe

I think its just a coincidence. Never heard of , or read about this happening to a meth user who snorts

KTMom91

A friend of mine is a meth addict, and over the years, she's had numerous health issues. The ear, nose, and throat are so closely connected that snorting meth can affect all areas. She has aFib, problems with her thyroid, a stroke left her paralyzed on her right side, she has a pacemaker, no teeth...and I think about the pretty girl she once was, and it's sad.

bluebell

My son abuses meth also. He has gotten sick like that several times after meth binges. I think it lowers the immune system. Now at almost 21, we are starting to see the chronic health issues from the exposure as KT described above. Meth kills slowly and incompletely. I have also seen my best friend from high school deteriorate due to this drug. Very sad indeed.

ksm

I remember her bio mom always had the sniffles... I have had time to google meth/sinuses/ear aches...and it seems there could be a link.

On Monday she starts a 28 day rehab program... Praying that she can do this. But I am afraid it might be a life long problem, like it is for her bio mom. In jail and awaiting prison for armed robbery and meth...

Ksm

pasajes4

Snorting meth can destroy the sinus cavities, cause strokes, and with long term use cause heart problems.

Crayola13

First a little history. Difficult Child was sick two weekends ago...stuffy head, sore throat, watery eyes. I took to doctor and they had us take OTC Sudafed. And an allergy pill.

Next week, she has a horrible ear ache, and during the night, bloody fluid drains out. I take her to walk in clinic, ruptured ear drum. Dr said the previous weeks head congestion let to ear problem. We see ENT Dr. tomorrow.

Question... She has tested positive for meth in this time frame. I found a rolled up piece of paper in her purse. So snorting meth.

Related? I think so... Any body else's Difficult Child have similar problem due to meth?

Ksm
Meth definitely causes sinus problems. Most of the time, any kind of inner ear problem is related to sinus problems. I hope the surgery goes well.

ksm

No surgery planned, just seeing ENT Dr. Just for a recheck. Headed there in a few minutes.

Ksm

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I have to be honest I know very little about meth. I would imagine that anything that can make your teeth rot would probably have some effect on the sinus caveties as well as the ears as they are so closely related.