Medical question for those in the know

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by mstang67chic, Nov 19, 2009.

  1. mstang67chic

    mstang67chic Going Green

    Fair warning, this is about husband and while it doesn't concern his "manly bits", it's awfully close.

    Aaaanyhoo...husband has what appears to be some sort of rash. It's high up on his thigh...slightly to the inner thigh and across the front some. It runs from just below the crease where your leg bends and down about 3 or 4 inches. Side to side I'd say it probably covers an area 4-5 inches across. The area is red and very bumpy but the bumps are large...more like hives. There is a spot above this that looks to be like an open wound but I'm thinking it's the result of scratching. comes the personal part.

    The upper most part of the affected area is in contact with dangly bits but those aren't affected. They (or one side rather) just have contact with the area but don't appear to have the rash. husband says the area doesn't itch but is sore as if it's bruised. He's got a doctor appointment set up for tomorrow but I thought I'd get some opinions. I'm thinking maybe some kind of yeast infection?

    We're both a little paranoid (although I'm not telling him I am) because earlier this year he wound up in the hospital for what the docs decided was a nasty Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). The urine tests after the first one, never showed signs of an infection but his white count was up, he had a fever and had to have iv antibiotics. He's feeling like he's coming down with something but isn't getting anything. He doesn't have a fever but just feels achy and cold. This is similar to how he felt with the urinary thing that hit him seemingly out of the blue so I'm a bit concerned. Short of that hospital stay, he's never had health issues other than the typical colds and flu over the years.

    Any thoughts?

    And um.....I know the description isn't the best but if you've got an idea but need a better picture....I did take a picture. :916blusher: Nothing shows....he adjusted and covered everything but it's still not pretty. LOL

    Oh and he's had this for a couple of days and it has gotten worse. The redness...maybe a bit but definately the "hives" have gotten larger.
  2. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    I have no idea but am glad he has a Dr's appointment. My husband had a similar problem in his 30's and that area is still discolored. His rash also did not and does not itch which is something to be thankful for. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is a minor issue for your husband. DDD
  3. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Im gonna take a guess and say yeast infection too. Down here we would call that either jock itch or better known as scalding. Did this come about after he got hot and sweated a bit? Maybe in tight clothing? I dont know how big your hubby is but this happens more often in larger people. It can happen in thin folks but is much more likely to happen with people with a bit of meat on their bones.

    Oddly enough this was just on the TV show The

    If you go to the store and get some anti-fungal Tinactin or any foot fungal should take care of it. Or if you have any vaginal yeast cream in the works too.
  4. crazymama30

    crazymama30 Active Member

    Hopefully yeast, but could be something really nasty (not very likely). Has he been running fevers, feeling run down and tiring easily? Could be some sort of other infection. If the dangly parts (love that term by the way) are swollen, hot and tender get him to the ER NOW!

    Sometimes I am not too good to ask, I work in wound care and we see some really gnarly wounds. I can scare the holey tar out of most people.
  5. 'Chelle

    'Chelle Active Member

    The only other thing that comes to my mind is possibly shingles. Sounds similar to what my husband had across his back last year.
  6. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    He should definitely see his Dr about this. My H had something that sounds the same and for YEARS it would come and go and he treated it with Tinactin and other OTC creams and powders, etc.

    Finally, when he went to the DR, he was prescribed this fantastic cream and OVERNIGHT it went away. He used it another couple days to be sure and was great. The Dr said he was consuming too many sugars - it's a candida (yeast) thing. The sugars cause the candida levels in his body to go nuts. That and wearing his work pants and sweating. When he over does it on the sugars or it's mid-summer, it sometimes comes back, but this cream is magic.
  7. mstang67chic

    mstang67chic Going Green

    The last few days he's been tired but he usually does when he's stressed. Work is irritating him, difficult child is irritating him, his mother is irritating know, just the usual.

    As for his activity...nothing out of the ordinary as far as I know. He wears nice pants and a shirt/tie to work, comes home and changes into a sweatshirt and running pants. (snort....not that he actually runs or anything ;) ) He is a big guy but it's not like his clothes are skin tight. He stands and walks most of the time for work so shouldn't work up a sweat.

    I took his temp yesterday and it was normal. I think I'm just a little paranoid because I'm still not convinced that what he had previously was ONLY a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). I don't know what else it could have been, I'm just not 100% with the diagnosis.

    Oh and the dangly bits? No swelling, pain or other discomfort. If that was the case, he would have been hogtied and drug to the ER long before now. Course.....considering the area we're talking about...had there been issues, I'm sure that would have been the fastest he EVER got himself in to be seen! LOL
  8. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    My son had a rash that sounds like what you described- and he was 12 or 13 at the time. It cleared up using OTC Gold Bond, I think it's called, so I concluded it was jock-itch as Janet said. But to be on the safe side, I'm glad he's seeing a dr. Don't worry too much until you find out otherwise though because chances are it is just caused by sweat and irritation in the area.
  9. Star*

    Star* call 911

    These things come to mind -

    Contact dermatitis. Treated with oral antibiotics and topical antifungal.

    Yeast infection. Treated same way. (some day I'll tell you my funny baby Dude story about that but not today)

    Shingles - but usually shingles are unilateral and not just on one side.

    Skin allergy - Have you recently switched either : laundry detergent, softener, body wash, soap? And not to be unmanly - but razor stubble? I know - but I have this difficult child see....and.

    Psoriasis. Can/Does happen in odd places. Is lumpy, very painful, itchy, gets crusty. Treated with topical steroids.

    Food allergy - yup. It's possible. I can brush my teeth with Crest and I get lumps on my feet. (Yeah, you have no idea how weird I am) ;)

    Plain old jock itch.

    That's all I have, but my money is on - I've been stressed, I ate too much sugary things or starchy things that TURNED to sugar, I drank, I peed, it was hot, I'm stressed - and it's yeast. If that's the case? You can try (even for today) washing with a MILD antibacterial soap, then pat dry, and then get monistat cream just like women use, apply in a thin layer and let the dangly bits air out. If it's better in the morning or if the itching stops? He'll still need the oral antibiotic - and will you.

    Then drink loads of cranberry juice - and stay away from each other.

    If it's something else? I have no idea what to tell you.
  10. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    Is he going to see the Dr?
  11. Star*

    Star* call 911

    Jo is right - he NEEDS TO SEE a real doctor.

    Otherwise I'm sending him a bill..:tongue: - and I'll be sending it through the HPS.

    MAN is that going to cost YOU.
  12. mstang67chic

    mstang67chic Going Green

    My money is on a yeast infection. Definately not razor stubble Star. I have much more I could say on the subject but I think that is one better left for a girls night out with booze. LOL

    As for sharing antibiotics.


    Ugh. Hadn't even thought of that yet. Gee....thanks.

    And yes...he has an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow.
  13. Fran

    Fran Former desparate mom

    Sounds like jock itch to me too.
    Keeping it dry while it heals will help too. Definitely get a Dr's input since we are all flying blind.

    I have had Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s with almost no elevation in my white blood cell count but my body reacts as if it's fighting off invading marauders. I get horrid flank pressure and the feeling of fever. I have had about 4 or 5 cases of this. Hospitalized twice. It's almost always when I have allowed myself to get very dehydrated.

    Hopefully, it will be cleared up soon. We don't want those dangly bits to get involved. Makes for a very cranky husband.
  14. mstang67chic

    mstang67chic Going Green

    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

    You'd think I would know by now to refrain from food and drink while in front of the computer!
  15. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    This is a personal question, but has meaning: Do you have a yeast infection?

    Partners often pass them back and forth with-o knowing it. As part of a different health problem I ran a yeast infection for years with-o it ever bothering me. Yeast creams never worked. Not even a dent. Several doctors wondered how I could even WALK with it.

    Fluconozole. 1 pill. It is MAGIC. Nothing else has ever worked. The brand name is diflucan. After I was married there was one point where I had to take it for a week straight. My system was that messed up. Even doing the yeast diet (no sugars, nothing made with yeast, and I do mean NOTHING that has any sugar of any kind or any yeast. LOTS of plain unflavored unsweetened yogurt.

    That finally got it under control. Now I just have to be careful. But anytime either of you gets a yeast infection (guys just get it as jock itch because they have nowhere for it to go in and hide and get REALLY bad).

    I would skip the tinactin and jock itch creams. Get the generic vaginal creams. They work better. Much better and they are better for your skin.

    If it is psoriasis it is NOT just a topical thing. Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease. Usually a specialist is needed to determine this and treat it. It needs to be monitored because it can turn into psoriatic arthritis, which needs specialized care.

    If you don't think the doctor is right, ask for a dermatologist.

    Just be sure, if it is yeast related, that you treat also. LOTS of docs don't ever even think of that. Esp when they just see the male. If they say yeast, ask for the fluconozole (on the Walmart $3 list) and use female yeast cream too. (Not only does it work better but you get a bigger tube for less money.)

    Gentle hugs to both of you.
  16. mstang67chic

    mstang67chic Going Green

    Susie....not that I know of. But, I'm weird in that some things people get, I don't have the typical symptoms. Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s for example...I get a pain in my side. That's it. As for yeast infections....I haven't really had a problem with those since I quit wearing skinny girl satiny undies. LOL
  17. Star*

    Star* call 911

    SERIOUSLY (dangly bits) and I get sent to the corner??? :tongue:
    Who said this needed a spit warning was right on. ;)
  18. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    LOL...Tony gets this in the summer when he works out in the heat and I get it year round. I guess you could say his is below his dangly bits and mine is under my folding Its definitely a yeast problem and we use the extra strength anti-fungal foot sprays. Yes...they burn like almighty heck but they clear it up really fast.
  19. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    If you want to find out if it is a yeast infection, take liquid mylanta or antacid and mix it with cornstarch into a paste. Dab some of this on.

    If the rash is any kind of acid burn, the antacid will calm it and it will disappear. If it is a yeast infection it will flare up badly. At that point you start using the yeast cream four times a day. The first day or so it will get worse, and the suddenly it will be MUCH better.
  20. GoingNorth

    GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

    It is also possible for a secondary bacterial infection to take hold in areas affected by yeast.

    I'd say that husband should see a doctor.

    yeast usually itches like crazy. Shingles form blisters,not hives, and it is quite possible for them to occur only on one side. Shingles pop up along the tracks of spinal or cranial nerves.

    Normally the virus(same as what causes chicken pox) lays dormant at the nerve roots and then spread and crop up under any type of stress--physical or otherwise.

    Shingles itch and burn terribly, and can damage the nerves in such a way that permanent pain can remain long after the blisters have cleared up.\

    My big reason for advising that husband see his doctor is that there are a couple of very nasty bacterial infections that require very aggressive treatment. They are very rare, but it still needs to be ruled out.