Medical Question, Shouldn't Be too much information

susiestar

Roll With It
I had something happen and I need to know if this is common, what it is called, and if there is anything special I need to do.

Ever since I got a bug in September, my digestive tract is unhappy. I will be fine for most of a week, then wake up feeling icky and eventually I end up vomiting. Once it is done, I start to feel better. it is annoying, but not a super huge problem most of the time.

It happened today. But it was different. As I got sick, and for about an hour after, it felt like my intestines were twisting into knots. Not only did it feel that way inside me, I put my hand over the area and felt something rolling and twisting in there. This has NEVER happened to me, and I have no clue if it is normal or not. It stopped after about an hour, and hasn't been a problem since. In fact, after a nap I was feeling better and was able to go finish some shoppng with Jess.

My doctor is out of the office until late in the week, and I doubt the doctor in a box could do anything unless it happened right then. I have plenty of nausea medications on hand, and if it gets worse and won't go away then I will go to the doctor in a box or ER.

Any ideas what this twisting thing is? Or what, if anything, should be done about it? thanks.

InsaneCdn

Up until the "rolling and twisting" part, I thought I had an idea. But it would NOT include that symptom.
Rolling and twisting, to me sounds serious. Like... appendicitus? or a hernia? Either way, I wouldn't just be sitting on it - but we have rotating medical access (it wouldn't be our own doctor, but someone from the same clinic with access to our files). Just a "doctor in a box" doesn't cut it either.

Mattsmom277

I have had that happen years back when I struggled with IBS. Since gastric bypass, my IBS is thankfully gone. I now get it with MS symptoms, and it's wretched as it was back with the IBS. I know for me, my doctor wasn't concerned with that symptom, as much as treating my IBS in general.

easy child had pain with her appendix when it was rupturing, it lingered off and on for weeks, and she did have nausea. I do not recall her having twisting going on though, not that it isn't possible I suppose. Just not something I've heard.

I think it's probably worth just booking a appointment to see your gp when you can do so in the new year. In the meantime, there are over the counter medications that a pharmacist can recommend for IBS symptoms. Not quite as effective as prescription medications for IBS, but it might be interesting to experiment with something recommended from the pharmacy until such time as you can get in for an appointment. You never know, it might be a good clue.

Sorry you are feeling yucky off and on :(. Glad todays episode passed though so that you could enjoy the rest of your day. I really do think a docs visit is probably a good idea, non urgent unless this occurs again a couple of time fairly close together or in conjunction with new or worsening symptoms.

H

HaoZi

Do you keep a food diary? I started eating healthier a few years ago and now I really notice it when I eat something that's not healthy. Had some take-out pizza the other night, my mouth loved it, my stomach started doing the flippy thing and every time I coughed I wanted to throw up. I can still eat frozen pizza, but seems take-out pizza is now a no-no for me :( Too much grease or something. Ditto most take-out chicken that I always loved. Just can't eat it any more. Potato chips are pretty much gone for me, even baked ones. I used to be able to eat all that stuff with impunity until I started eating better and got my system into better alignment, now I really pay for it when I don't eat reasonable. I'm sure it's also partially getting older as well as my system getting used to better eating.

If you're not opposed to yogurt, it might help get your gut back into shape. If you can't eat that than pro-biotic supplements until you can get to doctor to see what's wrong might help because that bug might well have messed up your intestinal flora.

InsaneCdn

HaoZi - that fresh vs. frozen pizza thing? might be yeast. I know people who cannot eat home-made bread if it is fresh out of the oven, because there are still traces of yeast. The same would to for pizza dough. It takes at least 8 hours for bread to "stabilize" (so I've been told... I'm one of those who CAN eat it straight out of the oven)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Possible hernia, those you can feel at times. Nichole can hers.......and she'd never have been believed if it hadn't acted up during a doctor office visit. (good timing) Worries me she'd not had it taken care of yet. Hernia's are not to be messed with. A person can have serious (life threatening) issues from a strangulated hernia. Blood supply gets cut off and it just doesn't take long for the bowel tissue to start dying.

You could be having severe IBS caused by that bug (your GI tract is still in an uproar although you're actually over the bug itself) or a hernia or well, I'm not a GI doctor so dunno. Those are the two things that occur to me. Don't underestimate severe IBS..........I've had it so bad the spasms spread to my back muscles and would cause me to drop to the floor in agony. (also after a particularly nasty stomach bug) Lasted a few months. I do my best to avoid people with stomach bugs now. I don't want a repeat performance of that. oh no! easy child sort of ticked me off because she asked me to go shop with her and she was battling a stomach bug at the time. grrr She better hope I don't get it.

Severe pain that won't let up.............get thee to the ER immediately, don't even attempt doctor in a box.

Does not sound like appendicitis, though.

((hugs))

H

HaoZi

HaoZi - that fresh vs. frozen pizza thing? might be yeast. I know people who cannot eat home-made bread if it is fresh out of the oven, because there are still traces of yeast. The same would to for pizza dough. It takes at least 8 hours for bread to "stabilize" (so I've been told... I'm one of those who CAN eat it straight out of the oven)

Interesting thought. I know I react badly to fried foods and I don't seem to have a problem with the bread sticks which is made with the same dough (I used to work there so I know it's the same), which is why I was thinking the greasiness and cheese factors (I have lactose issues, too).

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Parasite was my first thought. Have you ever done a cleanse? Hit up your local health food store and do a cleanse....SmartCleanse is a highly recommended one. You will need to cut out sugars, caffeine and dairy and alcohol and drink plenty of water while doing it.

Or, call your dr first thing or go to ER. I've had those symptoms and done a cleanse to kind of reset my digestive tract. And now I'm on a fairly strict regimen of probiotics daily to keep things moving along.

In fact, with all the baking I've been doing ice been eating more sugar than normal for me and I can already see indications that I'm out if whack. Sugar feeds any yeast in your gut and will cause bowel/digestive issues.

DammitJanet

I dont know if I have the exact same thing but maybe close. I didnt use to get the nausea/vomiting but lately nausea is a bigger problem for me ever since this past summer. My stomach is much worse now.

I have always had IBS issues where it would bring me to my knees and I would actually go white, break out in a cold sweat and literally feel like something was moving inside me. At the time I hadnt had a hysterectomy and I thought I was having really bad cramps or that it was happening when I was releasing an egg at that particular time of the month. I had a few CT scans done and found out that I was not moving stool very well at all. I have no idea why at that time either because I wasnt on pain medications. Its even worse now.

Now my stomach is so sensitive its like if I even get stressed at all, it rebels. I end up nauseated and in pain constantly. Everything I eat sends me into spasms and I have to take the zofran and do the prilosec twice a day until I get it under control again. I am gonna ask the doctor for some of that carafate you told me about because this is simply killing me.

susiestar

Roll With It
For sure ask the doctor for some carafate. make sure you get the generic (sucralfate) because it is much cheaper. I have had IBS since my early teens, but never had this thing happen. Like you, I got sick in Sept and haven't been right since. It stinks like crazy.