Medical question...?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Good morning--

I hope someone has experience with this:

My son started with a sty in his eye on Sunday.

Monday--the eye was badly swollen with some drainage. Took him to the pediatrician dr who rx'd antibiotic eye drops.

Tuesday--Eye was worse. Took him back to the pediatrician dr--who said it should clear up on its own.

Today--Eye still not improved....BUT son is now complaining of headache at the base of the skull (though no accompanying fever).

Is anyone familiar with these symptoms?

How worried should I be?

Thanks!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Can you take him to an urgent care facility? I don't know what's going on, but the fact that it doesn't look any better after two days of drops would concern me. If he doesn't usually complain of headaches, then that would concern me as well. Is it possible he slept in an awkward position because of the eye infection, and that's why his head hurts (thinking maybe it's his neck more than head)?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Is it possible he slept in an awkward position because of the eye infection, and that's why his head hurts (thinking maybe it's his neck more than head)?

That was my thought, too....so I had him use his finger to point at exactly where it hurts. He indicates a spot right at the base of the skull--in between the two little bones there.

I am not waiting to hear back from the pediatrician dr office any longer. I am taking him to the Children's Hospital.

Cross your fingers that I am over-reacting and it will turn out to be nothing!!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I agree -- there's no harm in being cautious. Let us know what you find out! I hope he feels better soon.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, a stye is an infection of one of the eyelash follicles. Used to be the treatment was hot compresses which brought the stye to a head quicker so it could drain. Let us know what the doctor says. Usually these aren't serious.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hopefully is nothing serious. Stye's aren't usually a big deal, more of a PITA if anything....and of course contagious. But it's better to be safe than sorry. And the added headache would make me wonder if he might have something actually in his eye causing the infection.....

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hello everyone!

We are finally back home from the hospital.

My son was diagnosed with Preseptal Cellulitis (infection of the soft tissues around the eye). They were very concerned that the head pain could indicate meningitis--but were able to rule it out. Thank goodness! The docs said we caught the infection at an early stage--so more good news there! They treated with IV antibiotics and sent us home with oral medications.

I am SOOOO glad that I trusted my gut on this one. As much as I want to trust our pediatrician, I just felt like he wasn't taking this seriously enough.

What a day! I am EXHAUSTED. Sent husband out to pick something up for dinner...

Hopefully, we can all just rest easy tonight.

Thanks for keeing your fingers crossed!

DammitJanet

Whew. Very good news about the meningitis.

I remember seeing a show about that cellulitis on one of those medical diagnosis shows. Glad you caught it early!