Medical Transcription

meowbunny

I just got an offer by my surgeon to do her medical transcription out of my home in return for her medical bill. I think this has a chance of being a lucrative business for me given that the salaries here are a joke ($10/hr is considered a HIGH salary for skilled labor) and she said if she liked my work, she'd happily give me some references.

Anyway, before I dare agree to this, I need to know what equipment I will need to work out of my home. If anyone is doing this, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Lothlorien

http://www.tvps.com

you can buy demos, new and preowned/reconditioned transcription machines there.

Before you buy, you should ask the doctor what she transcribes on...mini or microcassette or on computer file that you can retrieve on you easy child.

After you talk to her and find out, pm me and I can tell you more.

Have you had any type of medical terminology classes? What type of surgeon is she?

meowbunny

Thank you! Actually, haven't taken any medical terminology classes but not overly concerned. I've reviewed many medical records in the past and translated them from medicalese to legalese to English. So, I'm pretty comfortable with a lot of the language and abbreviations and I do have a medical dictionary and the PDR already.

She's a general surgeon -- no real speciality but her brochure mentions breast surgery (I would assume mastectomies), nodes, cholecystectomies and a couple of others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

If I can find a way to do this without an huge outlay of cash, I think it would be worth the effort. Figure I can get my testing, etc. done after I worked a bit, especially of her nurse is right that there is a high demand here for people who can accurately transcribe and have good turn around.

I'll PM you after I get more info. THANKS!

Lothlorien

Well a medical dictionary and PDR is a good start. If you end up doing more than her stuff and you have a variety of clients, you may want to pick up a set of Stedman's. Some transcriptionists get a new set every year or so, so you might be able to get a used set cheap. The sets are very expensive, but I find that I don't need to get new ones that often and a used set suits me just fine.