medication change, referral to a behavioral analyst & mention of Aspie/Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)...

Chaosuncontained

Oh gosh.

Doctor is adding Respridol (again) to go with the anti depressant--we've not been on both at the same time before. Starting out at .25 and working our way slowly up.

Doctor said that I should NOT wait on the County Special Education Psycologist to do her testing but get Carson in to see a Psycologist that is also a Behavioral Analyst ASAP. Carson's Dad (my ex who carries insurnace) is working on that as we speak.

Also the doctor mentioned something about that Carson could be Aspie (lite) or on the ADS. I gotta do more research on those two before I might agree.

I took him to school after his appointment and lunch. He's in OCS for 3 days (his second stint of 3 days since school started 7 weeks ago). The Principal mentioned to me that he has had a meeting this morning with the Mother of the boy that Carson attacked. He said she "was NOT happy". I bet not. I would be furious too if it had happened to my kid.

All of this has me so depressed.

buddy

I took him to school after his appointment and lunch. He's in OCS for 3 days (his second stint of 3 days since school started 7 weeks ago). The Principal mentioned to me that he has had a meeting this morning with the Mother of the boy that Carson attacked. He said she "was NOT happy". I bet not. I would be furious too if it had happened to my kid.

I hear you...it feels worse to have your kid be the attacker at times than to be attacked. Still, the principal can not make decisions for your child based on other parents' pressure. He needs to follow due process and make the best decision for everyone. ok, so he is at 7 days of suspension, and in process of being tested (which already puts him under protection as an at risk special needs kid) so you are on the track.....

I hope the Risperdal works. For some kids it seems to be amazing. Was awful for mine but I wish it would have worked.

InsaneCdn

Doctor said that I should NOT wait on the County Special Education Psycologist to do her testing but get Carson in to see a Psycologist that is also a Behavioral Analyst ASAP.
Smart doctor. You will almost always get more complete testing going this route, than through the school.

Also the doctor mentioned something about that Carson could be Aspie (lite) or on the ADS. I gotta do more research on those two before I might agree.
OK. This is much easier if I had a white-board and could draw you a picture, but bear with me... or maybe, try and draw this as you read.
Take a large circle - maybe 3 inches. This represents the official definition of "normal". Behaviors outside of this, are "abnormal".
In the middle of that, put a small circle, maybe an inch or so. This represents the definition of "common" or "average".
First - note that there is a wide range of behavior that is not "common" but still "normal".
Next, draw a dot about a quarter inch inside the big circle (G), a dot just inside the small circle (A), and a dot just outside the big circle (D). (G = difficult child, A = average kid, D = diagnosed kid)
Notice... that G is much closer to D than to A in how he presents... but would in this case still be normal.

Now, part 2.
Draw a third circle - 3 inches or so - that does NOT incluce any of the 1-inch circle - maybe start halfway between that and the outside of the big circle.
We're going to call this "developmental disorders". In reality, the circle is much bigger and more complex, but it works for demonstration purposes.
Kid G may have... motor skills issues, traits of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) but not meet diagnostic cutoffs, social challenges, learning disabilities, ADHD, other executive function issues... and still be "normal" in the eyes of the medical world.
Meanwhile, kid D has some of those things, but severe enough to meet diagnostic cut-offs... and have an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis.

See the picture?

We had psychiatrists and tdocs waffle for 4 years about an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis. Final word: not. "clinically significant findings but does not meet diagnostic cutoff". We're fine with that... we know now where his weaknesses are, and why.

SO... while you're doing research, look at all the other related developmental dxes - and I don't even know what ALL of them are, but definitely ADHD and Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD). There is significant overlap between these, and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). One of the rules for Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) is that you can't have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) - because the traits and symptoms are fully covered under THAT diagnosis. All of them have delayed maturity. (thus, the developmental label).

been there done that. I understand.
Its hard to face all the uncertainty, the not knowing.
Its hard to face the mountain of work that lies ahead.

If you don't already have yourself a therapist, get one. Someone who can give you perspective, a safe place to work on your own thinking, etc.

And then... put on your warrior mom armour, pick up your sword (computer), and get to work.
There ARE things you can do.
Do what you can.
Fight for the rest.

Hang in there.