M

ML

I was just wondering what possible medication combinations would work for a child diagnosed with anxiety (social, Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and separation) and ADHD, AS signs and the possibility of underlying bipolar. I have to get back into the psychiatrist because the prozac just made him more oppositional and hyper so I didn't give it a full run. psychiatrist then perscribed celexa but I've been afraid to try it. He already has weight issues as he uses food to comfort (self medicate as I see it) himself. I have taken to hiding the sugar dispenser and coming to the conclusion that I just can't even have it or anything with sugar in the house. It's hard because husband isn't willing to go that far as he has his own attachment to some things like pepsi. So weight gain medications would be of major concern to me.

I am waiting for our insurance to change in January. We are DONE with our current plan. Though they have done some things for us (paid for our evaluation at JFK autism research center), they just don't have the necessary supports in place for mental health once you find the diagnosis. Also, since the doctor doesn't really know the extent of things, I get the sense that he would give me anything I wanted in terms of medications. Wierd. I don't want to be the doctor, I want him to.

I am not asking any of you to be the doctor either. I just was wondering what possiblities in terms of medication cocktails might be an option. Perhaps some of you have a difficult child with similar symptoms and have found something that works?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Janna

I can tell you what worked for my son. He is Autistic (Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified), Bipolar and has MILD anxiety. We chose to treat the mood instability, hyperactivity and impulsivity.

So, we started with a mood stabilizer first (Lithium), waited (was soooooo hard LOL) patiently for 8 weeks for that to kick in, then added Abilify.

The Abilify had to be increased over time, and the Lithium (same with Depakote, another mood stabilizer) need blood draws.

We have seen some weight gain (both drugs) and increasing bedwetting (Lithium) with the medicine, but have had pretty good success.

Although, the Abilify, after 16 months, pooped out. But it's been good.

Your little guy has alot going on. IF he is Bipolar, or has something else like Mood Disorder, not otherwise specified, I would personally start with a mood stabilizer first. Here's a good list:

http://www.bipolarchild.com/newsletters/0003.html

Just my .02 from a mom.

M

ML

Janna,

Thank you for always responding to me. It is so nice to know that someone "hears" you.

MicheleL

Steely

Oh, boy this is a hard one, as there are so many medications, and each child responds differently. As a rule, medications are not actually too effective for AS, but most can be quite effective for mood regulation issues.

Here is my quick rundown - important key word "my" -

-For ADHD stims always made my son's behavior worse, despite an obvious increase in concentration
-For aggression we have tried 2 groups - 1 group being the anti-psychotics like; Risperdal, Seroquel, Abilify and Zyprexa - and the other group being Blood Pressure medications like Clonidine and Tenex
-For mood stabilization and regulation we have tried the anti-seizure medications like Depakote, Trileptal, Topamax, and Lamictal - and we have tried Lithium which is in it's own class
-As far as depression, again, my son has only done well on these when the mood stab. medications are working. There is Prozac, Zoloft, and Paxil, and then in another category there is Effexor, Cymbalta, Remeron, Strattera, and Wellbutrin.

These are just the ones I am familiar with, and that my difficult child has tried. You can see from my profile which ones we are are currently on, and yes they are working as well as can be expected for an already volatile 16yo.

K

Kjs

Chose to stick with just mood stabalizer. Other mixes didn't work well for us.