Medication questions again

IT1967

So, in the past we've tried 2 other SSRI's for my difficult child's aside from the Celexa they are both currently on. Every time we upped the dose from 10 to 20 on the other SSRI's, disaster ensued. They got rage-y and angry and just impossible to deal with. We've been on Celexa 10 mg for 9 months and while there's been no bad reactions, both my difficult children' anxiety is not under control. So, at the suggestion of several psychiatrists, we have tried baby-stepping the dose of Celexa up. I've only upped the dose from 10 to 12.5 and have held at this dose for 2 weeks now. So far, seems to be ok for difficult child 1, but difficult child 2 has been a train wreck this week. I have to think it's been the increase in the Celexa, as nothing else has changed. difficult child 2 hasn't been on the right medications in my opinion since the get-go, but I do think this week has been worse than things have been in a while. So, do I back down on the Celexa? Or do I try to push ahead? One of the psychiatrists I talked with said that sometimes as you're working up on a dose of an SSRI, the anxiety actually increases some before it takes better effect at the higher dose? That seems to make absolutely no sense to me. So, I wanted to see if anyone here has experience with-this type of situation?? My gut says to back it down and maybe take him off the SSRI completely and regroup. His ADHD medications seem to work good. He's good at the start of the day most of the time, but by the end of the day, he's short-tempered and one way or another something sets him off. Sometimes worse than others. :( I just feel completely stuck in a bad place medication-wise with-him. We've tried so many medications and none of them has really gotten things under control for him. I'm really down about it and have been feeling a ton of anxiety myself over it all.

Malika

Hi there. Okay, here's a silly question: do you have to give your son medication for his anxiety? Particularly since they seem to be making it worse and particularly as he is on other medications. It would seem to make a bit of a cocktail. Are there strategies/techniques/therapies he could try as an alternative?

IT1967

ITA with you and have been telling our psychiatrist I think the kids are on too much medicine for a long time, especially my son. I tried to up the Celexa for my difficult child 1 today because she seemed to be tolerating it better, and nope. Same horrible increase in extreme irritability. I'm dropping it right back to where I was. We see the psychiatrist on Monday and I'm going to ask him if he thinks it's ok to come off the SSRI entirely. Although, I'd like to see them off the Risperdal even more than I'd like to see them off the SSRI. And yes, we work with-a therapist and do try to use strategies and techniques all the time with-them. They are also in Occupational Therapist (OT). But something is NOT working with-this mix of medications.

InsaneCdn

Is it the mix of medications? or the mix of dxes?
We got nowhere with medications until we got closer to a complete list of dxes.
The diagnosis that made the biggest difference... is not a medicated condition - just accommodations and interventions. But those accommodations and interventions made a HUGE difference to his overall mental health. Once we got that covered off and things running better, we were able to fine tune medications for the remaining issues.

lovelyboy

I agree with you on the medications! My son were taking one type for more than a year, without much effect....Started new one, I do think it helps a little for the anxiety and tearfullness, but it doesnt improve much on the behaviour:(
We stopped the Risperdal, because he picked up 10kg!!!! We tried Abilify, and he vometed the entire evening! So....good old strategies and behaviour modification is all thats left!