Medications question? Any experience with Clozaril?

cazkenton2003

Hi all. Not been here for a while.

Has anyone here had any experience with Clozaril? Any negative side effects?
I've just found out that my new partner is taking it, and also used to take Abilify too.

I've done all the Googling I can possibly do...I;m just asking for people's personal experiences with it.

Thanks so much!

BusynMember

Never tried it. It's an older medication, the first one of the atypical antipsychotics, tested first on schizophrenics. Why does he want to try that one? There are similar ones with less side effects now--Risperdal, Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon, Zypexa. Does the doctor think she has bipolar? This isn't a medication that would help ADHD...Ah, I see you're in the UK. Maybe they refuse to diagnosis. kids with bipolar there,but sounds like he's thinking "major psychiatric disorder...mood disorder."

LittleDudesMom

Hi Caz,

I've no experience with this drug but I did search on google and found that, as mwm said, it is used to treat schizophrenia. I did copy and past the side effect section

"Even though it does not produce some of the disturbing side effects of other antipsychotic medications, Clozaril may cause agranulocytosis, a potentially lethal disorder of the white blood cells. Because of the risk of agranulocytosis, anyone who takes Clozaril is required to have a blood test once a week for the first 6 months. The drug is carefully controlled so that those taking it must get their weekly blood test before receiving the following week's supply of medication. If your blood counts have been acceptable for the 6-month period, you will need to have your blood tested only every other week thereafter. Anyone whose blood test results are abnormal will be taken off Clozaril either temporarily or permanently, depending on the results of an additional 4 weeks of testing."

Sharon

K

Kjs

My father was on that. He had parkinson's disease and was on quite a bit of medication. He hallucinated, talked to little people. Clozaril was one of his medications. (atleast 15 years ago).
My mother was very worried of the side affects, and the blood work was done every week. Couldn't tell you of the results. He was near the end stages of Parkinson's and a lot of medications.

nic

Has anyone tried Focus &/o Brightspark (natural remedies for AD(H)D? I would like to keep kid off medications and am looking for any help with natural remedies. How do you find out if kids have food allergies?

cazkenton2003

Thanks for all the help guys!

He was taking Risperdal and Abilify when he was institutionalised last year, then they put him on the Clozaril when he got out of there.
I know the last time I saw him...he had put on loads of weight and was constantly urinating.

Not sure what's worse.
My new partner who has schizophrenia and dribbles in his sleep...

or my 11 yr old difficult children LOL

He hasn't met difficult child nor easy child yet...I'm terrified! LOL