Meditation and Your difficult child... Anyone doing it?

justour2boys

Momto2Boys
I was watching one of Oprah's show and it was about meditation, and it got me thinking... has anyone tried meditation with their difficult child? If so, what was your experience??

I have one difficult child that puts the H in ADHD and another difficult child that is Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), ADD and ODD. And I'm seriously thinking of trying meditation with them. I'm think of starting out with 10 minutes in AM before school and then 20 minute in PM after dinner.

Thoughts?? Experiences?? Recommendations?? Anyone.

Thanks!

keista

:rofl: Sorry can't help it. I do believe in meditation and relaxation, but FIRST you must get difficult child to agree to doing it! DD1 didn't even want to try one single time!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I don't have any experience with difficult child's and meditation, but I do meditate, not on a regular basis, but enough to recognize the benefits. There is lots of evidence about how it slows the heart rate, calms you down, releases certain hormones and brain waves that bring a sense of safety and peace, the benefits are actually enormous. I taught a 15 year old boy to meditate many, many years ago, he had a very good experience.

Your children would need to be open to it since it does require one to sit quietly and concentrate on your breath or a word. Perhaps a meditation tape or CD might be helpful in the beginning until it becomes habit. It can be challenging to quiet the mind, to release thoughts and judgments which are continually going on in our brains. A CD or tape will walk you through the relaxation part until the brain unhooks some and allows the "empty space" which is the goal. It is said to try to do it everyday at the same time, even 5 minutes is beneficial. I have a number of friends who meditate daily for 30-60 minutes and I know they report an enormous difference in the quality of their lives. On a regular basis, I believe it brings a kind of internal peace and 'looseness' which cannot be gotten from anything else. The reduction in stress and the ability to react in a calmer more rational and peaceful way are also benefits. You might try reading a little about it in general. Early on I had a meditation teacher, but I don't think you need one. I heard about a teacher once, who taught a younger grade and everyday in class she did a guided meditation with the students and she reported big changes in their ability to listen, to learn, to participate and to get along. It was interesting. I think it's a wonderful idea and I encourage you to share your experiences with us. Thanks.

InsaneCdn

There's a world of difference between:
a) getting your difficult child to do this or doing it for your difficult child's benefit, and
b) doing this together because you all need it.

Option a) is doomed before you start.
You MIGHT have a chance with option b).