Meet the New Family Member

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The kids were part of the "test". LOL

easy child and her boys and Travis came along with me. I used the excuse I can't drive and hold a puppy. lol

All the pups were fine with the kids. It was mom I was watching. I know that might sound odd, but to me Mom's personality is important.......and I was paying as much attention to that and her behavior as I was the pups. It didn't take long to know that Molly and Maggie's Mom Mary are very similar in personality/intelligence. Mary responded to the spoken word the exact way Molly does, she has the same "mothering" aspect and the well, I dunno how to put it into words, I just know it when I see it, thing to her personality.

Once I was happy with Mom, I started watching and testing pups. At this stage, sex is irrelevant. I was beginning to worry that I wasn't going to find what I was looking for when I'd gotten through 5 out of 7 pups......who didn't pass the "mellow/trust" test......but then I picked up Maggie. And she passed immediately. Totally relaxed, no fear whatsoever. So I put her down a while.........and I picked her up twice more the same way (lay them on their back in your arms, squirming flunks, fearful behavior flunks, you want them to chill completely). She passed all 3 times with flying colors.

And I knew. Just as I knew with every other dog. Maggie was the perfect "fit". She's what I'm looking for. It doesn't hurt that she's is absolutely adorable. LOL

She just chilled in the car for the 20 min drive home. Napped with Travis while I ran out for baby food, a collar, baby treats (training), and a small crate.

easy child and I returned with the supplies and supper. I took her on the leash to potty. At first she was a bit timid and confused.....a few mins later she did her deed and was praised. She played while we ate. Connor was done first. Now Connor LOVES wide open spaces. Nana and Darrin had rearranged the dining room so that it's one huge wide open space. easy child put him out of the high chair.....and he could care less about Maggie, he wanted to roam! Maggie followed him all over the place, just as Molly used to do with kayla and bff's son. Too cute!.

The boys are super excited about Maggie, so Nana has to keep a watchful eye that they don't get carried away and too rough.

easy child had a hard time resisting adopting one herself, and I'm glad she managed. If she had her fence, it would be different. Besides, she has 4 kittens to find homes for. But she did help me with the name. I was having a hard time with that..........to me a name has to "fit". I was trying to come up with something that suited mellow and intelligent and easy child was telling me about her bosses new pup (a golden) named maggie...........well I really wasn't paying much attention to what easy child was saying, but when I heard "Maggie" I said That's IT! That's her name! LOL

Nichole went all mushy. LOL But then she always does.

What makes me happy is that Molly seems happy. And since she has been feeling pretty crummy the past few days....... I was relieved she is ok with the new member of the family. Even Bruce likes Maggie. THAT surprised me. Bruce doesn't like any new animal at first, takes him a long time to warm up.

Tomorrow I put in a call to the vet for shots and worming, and to get her flea medications. I'd normally do the shots, but I want her to have a good checkup anyway.

No piddles so far. She's doing great in her crate, and cries when she needs to potty if she's inside it.

This time? It feels totally right. No doubt. No regret. :)

TerryJ2

Awwwww! So little!
Shepherd, St.Bernard and Rottie. Obviously, she'll grow up to sleep on her own King Sized mattress, lol!

InsaneCdn

Shepherd, St.Bernard and Rottie.
Well, the St. Bernard temperament DOES provide a bit of balance to the other two...I said temperament, mind you, not size!

DammitJanet

You can buy the shots and the wormer at the feed stores. The flea medications now are at Walmart for half the price as the vets.

We do all the shots and worming ourselves except rabies.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Shepherd, St.Bernard and Rottie.
Well, the St. Bernard temperament DOES provide a bit of balance to the other two...I said temperament, mind you, not size!

LOL IC I prefer BIG dogs. I'm not a little lap dog type person. I can enjoy other people's lap dogs...........I just can't live with them myself. She'll be big, probably bigger/taller than Molly, but honestly Molly was just about her size at the same age. Mom is medication size. But she seems to have the st.bernard fur, with the shepard coloring.

Janet, I normally do the shots ect myself. But I want her examined for health anyway and our vet doesn't charge much for it, actually the wormer there is cheaper than walmart.......as is the flea medication. So I'll just let her do it while she's there.

I have to say, it hasn't taken long for her steal my heart. She's got her own personality, which I"m sure I'll see more of, but she reminds me so much of Molly when she was just a baby. She's already figured out how to get back into the house......she just can't quite get up the steps to the porch yet. LOL

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, and she seems to not object to the crate as long as her needs are met (for now anyway) such as food and potty time. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
She's adorable, Lisa - and obviously the temperament, etc. says a lot, too!!!

by the way, I'm with you. If I'm gonna bother with a dog, it's gonna be a DOG.

greenrene

She's absolutely adorable! And with the Rottie in her... she's bound to be a great dog. I'm a huge sucker for Rotts. I have an elderly one, and she's the best dog I've ever had.

Congrats on your new furbaby!

SuZir

All the pups were fine with the kids. It was mom I was watching. I know that might sound odd, but to me Mom's personality is important.......and I was paying as much attention to that and her behavior as I was the pups. It didn't take long to know that Molly and Maggie's Mom Mary are very similar in personality/intelligence. Mary responded to the spoken word the exact way Molly does, she has the same "mothering" aspect and the well, I dunno how to put it into words, I just know it when I see it, thing to her personality.

Very adorable new family member you have there!

I also always look closely to mother. She doesn't only give the puppies half of the genes, she gives them the model how to react to world, people and things happening around them. And those models tend to be hard to break. In fact I have already looking at few female dogs (correct word isn't allowed here, I think ;)) that I consider to be my next puppy's potential mommies. And I'm planning taking that puppy year or two from now (depending our current dogs and when they are planning to breed those potential mommies.) In fact I already started to follow one of those dog's dam three years ago as a potential grand dam of my future puppy.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Very true SuZir.

I'm a bit concerned. Seems owner believed the pups were doing very well with food/weaning. Maggie is only "nibbling" at her food, and I've softened it plenty with water.....because it looked as if that is what her owner was still doing. I'm feeding her most likely a different brand........owner was giving them generic, she's getting name brand as I couldn't find the match in puppy food.......they were out of stock. So it's different and that might be throwing her off a tad. She's drinking quite a bit........and been trying to nurse off Molly, when of course there is nothing there and Molly will walk away because it seems her belly is hurting her and she's touchy right now. So the feeding thing could be a new environment or it could be she wasn't quite as weaned as owner believed, or the new food. It isn't that she's not eating at all, but for a puppy her size......you'd think she'd eat more. I've had st bernard mix pups before and they ate like lil piggies at her age. Not going to fret though because she's going to see the vet anyway. Could just be worms too, since she's not had her first worming yet, although I've seen nothing in her feces.

She craves a "den" when she wants to sleep. This will help with the crate. She has attached herself to a towel Molly has been lying on in the kitchen.....it's one I dry her off when she goes out into the rain.....so I put that into the crate to offer some comfort, plus a chewy bone, a tennis ball she's grown fond of and a hedge hog toy she likes. (because those things smell like her/using for comfort as well as toys.....says it's "her" bed)

It's been 6 yrs since I last had a furbaby baby in the house. I'm having to pull things/tricks out of my memory and adjust my thinking. I've spent probably more time outside than inside this morning. lol But I'm not going to gripe when there has just been one piddle accident (and I do mean piddle cuz it was soooo teeny it was funny). She's slowly getting used to the house. But I'm going to pick up some cheap baby gates. The house is too large and open for her. Not for pottying.......but for her getting used to. (she always goes to the dingingroom to look for a spot because the carpet is the same shade as the grass) It's daunting to a baby trying to get used to the whole house at once. And of course I just gave my expensive gates back to Nichole, one of them was hers anyway.

I need a much lighter weight leash. The ones I have are for BIG dogs and the weight bothers her, otherwise she doesn't mind it. I need to pick her up a food dish.......I forgot yesterday. She's using a spare of Bruce's and he's a bit miffed about it. He keeps thinking I'm giving her his food.

She's very smart. I'll start training soon. We're working on potty and coming to her name right now.

Molly is just fine with her. Perked up a bit since she arrived. Has played with her a bit, but hasn't been feeling very well......so it was a short session which suited Maggie because it was long enough to wear her out. I haven't introduced her to Rowdy yet. I want her to feel safe with me and that I won't let anything hurt her first before taking her into the huge backyard. And I'll have to hide Molly's ball cuz the thing would squish her. lol

Nichole and the kids are on their way down. Aubrey is all excited to meet Maggie. But they're coming to help me finish the garden/yard/patio area as much as we can while the weather is decent.

I have to laugh, because I haven't gotten much accomplished today at all. I'm more focused on helping Maggie adjust to her new environment and being away from her Mommy and siblings. It may be that way for a few days. But I can deal with that I guess. :)

InsaneCdn

Do you have a wind-up clock? You could set that just outside the back of the kennel, or wrap it in a towel and put it inside. They seem to like the ticking, sort of like the sound of mama's heartbeat.