Meet with p-doctor today-UPDATE

Lothlorien

husband and I are meeting with the p-doctor for the first time today. She wants to meet with us first and will then evaluate Missy at another visit. I need some good vibes coming from all of you warrior moms! I need to get my message across to the p-doctor without her thinking that I am coming on too strongly about what I want, but I also don't want her to think that I have no clue either. I would rather her be impressed that I've done my homework, rather than her get annoyed. You know how some docs get annoyed by know-it-all patients? I've had a snotty, way-too-wet-behind-the-ears primary doctor that I wanted to smack because he was too arrogant and thought he knew my body better than I did (long story, but it had to do with a sinus infection that he said I didn't have, but I've been dealing with them forever, so I know when I have one and when I don't). Obviously, I never went back, but I've encountered other docs with an "inflated-self" disorder and hope this one isn't.

Anyway, please send good thoughts and vibes. Thanks!

DDD

Fingers crossed that you have an experienced and self-confident
psychiatrist who appreciates your knowledge and awareness. Finding the
"right" Doctor is as hard or harder than finding the "right" husband!
DDD

Lothlorien

Just got back. It acutally went really well. I will post an update in a little while. Gonna go eat something. Thanks for asking and thanks for all the good thoughts, prayers and vibes.

Lothlorien

UPDATE....
Well, we had a good visit overall. It was nice to finally have some validation. I was right 100%. She has officially been diagnoses with Mood Disorder not otherwise specified with a rule out (most likely, she thinks, but wants to see her in person) Bipolar. She will be speaking with Missy's neurologist next week as well as her pediatrician.

One of her questions was "why is she on such a low dose of Trileptal?" Exactly!!!!! The reason is because the neuro wants to only treat the seizures, not anything else.

So, we will titrate up the Trileptal. She may possibly add or switch to Depakote (I think I'd rather stick with the Trileptal).

She did say that her rages could be seizure related.

She also said that she'd like me to have her evaluated in a month or two at CHOP Psychiatric Facility. She feels that her case is a bit complicated and wants us to have a second opinion. I was a bit dumbfounded by this statement, but she thinks that the combo of the seizures, various auditory problems and sensory issues that she's had, she'd like to be safe than sorry.

She told me to read Out of Sync Child and The Bipolar Child (I was going to buy The Bipolar Child this week, anyway).

She also gave me the number for the local Crisis Team, should things escalate like the last time.

neednewtechnique

I think that you have landed a great psychiatrist. At least from the sounds of it. I am very impressed with her suggesting the second opinion. Although at first glance it may seem like she was coming across as inconfident and uncomfortable in her position, I find that psychiatristS that make a suggestion like this are usually just the opposite. They are comfortable and confident, but they are more concerned about THEIR PATIENT than they are their PRIDE. This will not only back up her assumptions, but also give you a peace of mind that might make you a bit more confident in her abilities. I think this is great, and I am so glad things went well for you!! We go to see our NEW psychiatrist in a week, so cross your fingers for me that ours turns out to be as great as yours seems to be!

Wiped Out

Staff member
This psychiatrist sounds great. I think it's good she wants a second opinion. Glad the appointment went well.

smallworld

Loth, sounds like the start of a good relationship with a competent psychiatrist. I agree with Neednewtechnique that psychiatrists who are comfortable with their own abilities never mind suggesting a complete evaluation with fresh eyes. It sounds as if this psychiatrist is very thorough -- and that's a huge plus in her favor.

The neurologist my kids see for migraines told me that psychiatrists are frequently more comfortable prescribing larger doses of anticonvulsants than neurologists are. Sounds like that's what happened in Missy's case.

Hope you are able to make some progress soon.

TerryJ2

Loth, thanks for the update. Yes, validation is wonderful! Interesting that the rages could be seizure-related. I've read parts of the Out of Sync Child and am still thinking about

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Sounds like you have a good psychiatrist!!! At least this will give you hope for the future and her diagnosis!!!

Both of those books are awesome!!! I use them all of the time... there is another 2 new BiPolar (BP) books out that are great...
"Parenting a Bipolar Child" Gianni Faedda, MD
"Bipolar Kids" Can't remember the author???

Good luck at least you have some answers, now!!!
Good job

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #663366"> you've got to love a doctor who WANTS a second opinion. she sounds fabulous!

kris
</span> </span> </span>