Meeting set up with Special Education Director

Gaia

I emailed the special education director yesterday regarding getting help for Eric. She replied by asking me to call to set up a meeting. So I didn't hesitate. Our meeting is next Thursday (12/13) first thing in the morning. What kinds of things should I ask or tell her?

Sheila

Have you sent the letter requesting that the school district evaluate to see if your child is eligible for an IEP?

Gaia

Sheila, I have not sent a letter. I didn't know I was supposed to. Should I type one up to bring to my meeting with the Special Education Director? Is there a sample of one somewhere that I can look at?

SRL

You either need to send the letter certified or else hand deliver to the director but have her sign a note you bring stating that she has received the request for evaluation on such and such a date. This is critical as it sets time lines into place. Since your meeting is already this week I'd hear what she has to say and then send the formal request afterwards.

Martie

Even if you can get a signature in person (which can be awkward and embarrassing), a CERTIFIED letter, return receipt requested is better.

FYI,

Martie