Melissa got the job!!

Sue C

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'> <span style='font-size: 17pt'> </span> <span style="color: #6666CC"> </span> </span> Melissa got the job at the bicycle warehouse!! She just got back from her interview, and she is so excited. She thinks it will be a fun place to work. She'll work 11 am - 7 pm each day. She can buy their brand name bike at 50% off. She'll have health insurance. (hopefully, she can make a few nice new friends)

:smile:

Sue

Sue C

One concern Melissa has....the employer told her you have to come in even if you are sick....even if you have pink eye which she just was diagnosed with two days ago and is on antibiotic eyedrops. You are highly contagious until after 24 hours on antibiotics. Isn't this a strange thing for a boss to say??

She also realized she cannot take off whenever she wants to like when she worked at the grocery store and she could get someone to take her hours. I told her well, you didn't want to work at a grocery store anymore and this is the way it is at this warehouse; you'll just have to live with it. :smile:

Anyway, it will be good for her to have money coming in. I'm going to try to sit down with her and explain how she can budget her money to get those credit cards paid off. If she listens, she listens. If she doesn't, she doesn't. I know it's her responsibility, but she has never made this much monthly money before. It would be a shame if she blew it all instead of working on paying off the credit cards. But I know it's HER call. :smile:

Sue

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I would imagine the boss has had problems before with people saying they were sick and not showing up for the job. He was probably just trying to stress the point, show up for the job. Hope she can stick it out. Having your own income is great incentive for confidence building...

Sue C

whymemom -- Yes, Melissa needs confidence building, so we are also hoping this job will do just that. I know she doesn't like being referred to as a "college dropout."

Sue

Abbey

Spork Queen
Awesome! I think having a job as a teen is such an essential skill.

We 'forced' easy child to get a job about a month ago. Let me tell you...he was NOT happy because this severely reduced time with his 'wife.'

He's a great kid, works for our business regularly, but has NO clue about spending habits, etc. We wanted him to learn what it meant to work for non-family...maybe even an evil boss. He's got that. :grrr: It has humbled him a bit as he only has about an hour each day that is down time. He's learned to use it wisely. :smile:

Good luck on Melissa's adventure!

Abbey

Sue C

Melissa had orientation today plus 5 hours of training. She said she thought the job was FUN! :bravo:

She said there are younger people and retired people and that she gets along with all ages. She's really tired and said she thinks her big toes have blisters on them from the new steel toed safety boots she had to wear. Poor baby. That's a working girl's life in a warehouse. (I'm thinking college was pretty easy after all and maybe she'll realize that someday)

For now, let's hope she continues to think the job is FUN!!

Sue