Melissa's personal trainer is NUTS!

Sue C

Melissa works as a receptionist at a health club. She decided to try a session with the personal trainer before deciding if she wants to sign up with him (it will depend on the cost--she does not get a discount because the trainers are independent). Anyway, he did a "fat measurement" with one of those calibrators(?). He told her he wants her to weigh.....get this....100 lbs! She is thin already. She only weighs 113 and wears a size 3 or 5, depending on what brand.

Is this trainer nuts??????? I hate to see her dieting. I think she will look anorexic. I know when I was in my 20's and 30's, I weighed between 100 - 104 and everyone constantly said I looked anorexic. When I look back at some of the photos, I can see why they said that.

p.s. Plus, doesn't working out and gaining muscle/losing fat make you weigh more??? This guy does not make sense to me.

sue

trinityroyal

That doesn't sound right to me.
Calipers measure your body fat percentage, but they are notoriously inaccurate, and rely on the knowledge of the person using the calipers.

Also, a body fat measurement will tell you your percentage of body fat, not how much weight you have to lose. You can gain weight and still reduce your fat percentage by working out and putting on muscle.

I'm not sure how the personal trainer industry works in the U.S., but here in Canada it is unregulated. There are no requirements for being a trainer, other than putting a sign on your door.

It sounds like this one is a lemon. I think you're right...he doesn't sound like he makes sense to me either.

Trinity

Sue C

Trinity -- Thanks for your input. It's kind of unnerving to read that there is no requirement to be a trainer other than putting a sign on your door! Oh, thanks for giving me the correct term--calipers. You must have LOL at calibrators.

by the way, Melissa is 5' 5-1/2" tall. I think 113 is just right for her. She does not look fat anywhere.

sue

trinityroyal

Sue, I didn't laugh at calibrators (usu. I just say "thingie", so I googled it)

100 lbs does sound very light for someone Melissa's height.
A lot depends on bone structure and muscle mass, but still...

To put things in perspective, I'm about 5' 2" and according to my doctor I should weigh in the 115 to 125 range, based on my build. When I weighed 99 lbs years ago, I looked emaciated and strangers used to stop me in the street and ask if I was okay.

I get the feeling that this trainer is a quack.

Trinity

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Or he's secretly a super model agent and he's looking for a new client...named Melissa.
Ugh. 100 pounds for a 5'5" girl is TOO thin in my book.

Sue C

JJJ -- Who knows if Melissa is listening to him? She didn't actually sign up yet; she didn't ask him what he charges. She did ask me to buy healthier snacks when I grocery shopped. I hope she has enough common sense to know that 100 is too low for her but then again, that girl does not have much common sense to begin with and this is an "authority" telling her that weight would be correct for her. What a dumb trainer!

sue

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
That is crazy... He would have had to tell her what her fat percentage was, like, 25% and then say he would like to see her down to 20%. Not caliper her fat and then what he wanted her to weigh! That is ridiculous!!! It does not matter what you weigh, it is you fat % and your muscle mass... ratio. If he was good he would have told her that!!! She could be 5'5" and weigh 130 but be ripped!!! If she had a 20% fat or less that is great for a woman!!! If you have 21% of fat or less you are doing great. Most women are up in the mid 20's, I think for women it is good to be 20-22 or so... I was up in the 30's :( and I got it down to 29... even though I lost a bunch of weight...
So you could be really skinny and still have a high fat %... I am not really skinny though!!!

I have a scale that calculates your fat, muscle, water, bone density, amount of calories you should consume... it is so cool!!! I bought it for husband for Christmas one year... I should have usually around... 1200-1300 calories.

I would tell her to not use him!!!

Sue C

totoro -- Melissa has met with him one or two more times. She still has not paid him. She said he charges $30-35/session. I told her she could not really afford that! (not on $7/hour pay)

I don't know if she is "dieting." I still see her drinking soda and eating chips, but she also wanted healthier snacks.

What is your scale called and where did you get it? It sounds really cool.

sue