menopause / hot flashes

K

Kjs

anyone have any suggestions. These hot flashes are so unbearable. so hot sweat just rolling off me. then I am freezing because I am wet..then I am sweating. Bad at work. Sweater on/sweater off heater on, heater off. Driving me nuts.

F

flutterbee

I went through that 7 years ago when I was in drug-induced menopause (the drug Lupron was used). It was supposed to be for 6 months, but after 3 months I told the doctor that I wanted to kill someone and I wasn't picky about who. Doctors tend to act kinda funny when you say something like that. :hammer: I wasn't allowed to do HRT because that would defeat the purpose. So, I completely understand where you are coming from. No wonder difficult child is sending you through the roof. Other than keeping my hair pulled off my neck and carrying a hand fan with me at all times, I don't have much to offer. I was known to open all the windows in mid-December.

My mother used some soy-based product by Monastat for awhile until she learned that it carried the same risks as all other hormone replacement therapies. She did get quite a bit of relief from the hot-flashes, though, while she was taking it. Said they were more like warm-flashes. She thought it would be safer since it was natural, but then learned that the same risks applied and stopped.

What does your doctor say?

K

Kjs

Dr.'s (boy OB/GYN and MD) just totally blow me off. Tried HRT for a while since i had a total hysterectomy...That didn't seem to matter, so quit. Tried a lotion prescribed by OBGYN, for hot flashes..didn't help. Just wondering if anyone had any herbal suggestion or any magic cure for this.

kris

i went through surgical menopause. took HRT for a couple of months then slowly weaned myself off the HRT. it seemed to greatly lessen the menopausal symptoms. maybe your GYN would let you do something like that.

kris

K

Kjs

I tried HRT a few months. Didn't seem to do anything, so discontinued. I think the when I was on Paxil it greatly reduced the hot flashes, but I was on that for a few years and the dosage was high and so was the weight gain. Needed to get off hoping to lose some weight and be a little more energetic. I think I turned into a difficult child. told psychiatrist that Friday. That is when he put me on strattera. Definately have appetite loss. Now need energy, motivation and sanity.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Kjs,
Wish I had some suggestions. I went through a very early menopause due to Primary Ovarian Failure when I was 20. The hot flashes were unbearable-plus I thought I was going crazy because I was so young. The only thing that has worked for me is HRT. I've had to be on it a long time and my dr wants me on it til I turn 50 so I have about 7 years left. I hope you can find some relief.

fedup

Low dose Effexor is doing me some good. My Dr. wanted to try this before HRT, because it is somewhat less risky.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I have the same problem...intense internal heat(tried to explain it to husband, but it's hard to describe), so I throw the covers off and all my clothes only to wake up an hour later absolutely freezing.

Mine seem to go in cycles. I'll have a bout for about a week, then a few weeks off, then it starts again.

Abbey

rejectedmom

I went into that mode after a hysterectomy. i kept my overies but the began malfunctioning immediately after surgery. It lasted for 8 years! I tried herbals.. no ease. I tried the progesterone cream... no help. I tried soy...I just gained weight. I gave up. It does come and go in cycles and they are gradually getting further and further apart. Not too bad anymore. I am told by my older friends that when they are gone for good I will be cold all the time and wishing thatI was still getting the flashes. LOL I doubt it but who knows??? -RM

DazedandConfused

I don't have any advice to offer.

However....I would like to share something I heard recently on a trip to NYC. Our group had a really sweet and funny tour guide.

Suddenly, she started fanning herself and tugging at her collar, obviously having a hot flash, while pointing out the sites to us. She then she begged our pardon as she explained that,

"I'm having my own personal summer". :rofl:

TerryJ2

Yes, caffeine, wine and spices make it worse. If I go out for Mexican, I'm doomed!

I use Maca and flax seed oil. I tried black cohosh and dong quai and they didn't work well. I had to swallow lots and lots and had to take so much to make it work, I ended up with-a stomach ache... and which is worse? I used to use Estroven until I had breast cancer, but now I have to cut back on soy.

There's a neat place online where you can order ice cold "neckbandoos"--fabric you can tie around your neck like a scarf--you soak them in water and they get cold and puff up. When you wear them (in a choice of fabrics) no one will know what it's really for. Ea time you walk by a drinking fountain, you untie it and soak it again.
I would never have made it through DisneyWorld with-o one!

http://blubandoo.com/

saving grace

I have premature ovarian failure so I started having hot flashes around 35, it was awful, I tried flax seed, ehhh I tried Estrovan ehhhh I tried zoloft, that helped some now I also tried a low dose birth control and that was a disaster, I think I have just learned to live with them, I sleep in my undies with the windows open all year long

Grace

Josie

I had a total hysterectomy when I was on Lexapro and didn't have hot flashes, even without HRT. The doctor was very surprised but thought it must be the Lexapro. Now I am on an estrogen patch and don't have them.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm another who went through surgical menopause from a hysterectomy. I also had those terrible, terrible hot flashes- as many as 10 a day, and night sweats every 45 minutes all night long. The estrogen pills didn't work- I tried all dosages, but the lowest dose patch does the trick!

Suz

jbrain

Hi,
I've been on HRT for about 6 yrs--the hot flashes all night long and during the day too were driving me crazy, plus I had migraine headaches from fluctuating estrogen. I know all the risks and all that and my dr. says I can't stay on them indefinitely but they've really helped.

Menopause is the pits....

Jane