Mental Illness Arrest Brochure

gcvmom

Here we go again!
A parent from my NAMI Basics class sent me a copy of a brochure created by a local police department to help answer questions for families who have had a mentally ill loved one arrested.

If anyone is interested in a copy of this .pdf file, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

I figure it might be helpful to know how one police department handles these situations. We just never know what lies along the path our difficult child's take in life.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I know, klmno -- I'm sorry :( You could probably write your own brochure with all that you've learned!

klmno

LOL! Well, the behavior counselor told me today that she's really happy with him and they are discussing his release date to get it set. He put in a letter a few weeks ago asking to get out in Jan. instead of Feb.- that is doubtful though because Feb. is giving 4 mos off for good behavior- assuming he keeps that up. Get this- she told me "HE IS A GOOD BOY" OMG! And she said she thinks he's on his way to getting things turned around. If it really turns out that way, then it was worth it. But the real world is a lot different than that environment.

Sorry....I didn't meant to hijack your thread with an update!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm so glad to hear that! :D You have been through SOOOO much (as has he) in the past year or so. I hope that he's able to get out by then and start getting his life back in order. And hopefully there will be some kind of a discharge/release plan in terms of follow-up care, school, etc.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Can you e-mail it to me? If you still have my e-mail? If not I can re-e-mail it to you. that's a mouthful!

I am starting a Parent Support Group here and this would be nice to have. Even though the Woman that wrote a wonderful book lives right here and her son was arrested many times, it still doesn't hurt. The police were wonderful with him.

She pushed for the CIT training, and demanded that they take him to a hospital per psychiatrist's orders everytime regardless of the crime. It worked. She would call psychiatrist right after calling the Police, just to document and let the answering service or whomever know what was going on. Tell the police this was the orders and to transport him to the ER.

It will be interesting to read what the other PD Dept has to say? She also said it was important to be calm yet firm as the parent.