Met advocate yesterday - runaround?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Nice lady. Said we're doing a good job. Made me feel a little better.

We met at the school for a records review. Did not alert the school ahead of time.

That seemed to go over like a lead balloon. They did not seem happy to have her in the district. I felt kinda bad bring them in because our last meeting seemed to go well...

...until...

When school started, we "bribed" wee difficult child a bit and told him if he could have 10 good days of school, we'd get him the gerbil he wanted (or hamster or some kind of rodent he's been bugging us about for 2 years). The principal at school made a "gerbil chart" and difficult child has marked off each good day. He had one empty spot left going into yesterday.

And...at the IEP meeting last week, if you recall, they said the most important thing they need to do right now is keep difficult child from escalating, even if it means backing off an academic request - whatever it takes to keep him in school and appropriate. Everyone agreed.

So, I emailed SpEd teacher and Principal yesterday afternoon to see if he had a good day and if I had to go buy a gerbil last night.

This was the email traffic with SpEd.

Me: "How was difficult child's day? Do we need to go gerbil shopping tonight?"

SpEd: "While he was not very attentive during my time with him, he maintained self control. When I reminded him he was distracting others, he tried to be quieter. He did complain again about "starving". But by the time he mentioned it, it was 10 minutes to lunch so I didn't give him anything."

And this was the conversation with the principal.

Me: "How was difficult child's day? Do I need to go gerbil shopping tonight?"

Principal: "I am so glad you e-mailed because I was going to call you today. difficult child has 1 spot left on his chart. Hopefully the good behavior will continue and he can get it tomorrow."

Me: "What happened? Hopefully nothing major...?"

Principal: "No... sorry. I was going to call you to let you know that he has 1 left. Nothing bad at all
Sorry if I confused you."

Is it my imagination, or did I just get more run-around?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Shouldn't that mean he has no spots left? if he did well?
I would be confused also.
If he was doing well I would at least expect some words of encouragement.
But I guess some people just don't get what you and he have been through. Even the little things for you are so huge.
I guess maybe if they say nothing bad happened, he gets the Gerbil??!?!?!?!?

Sounds like he had a great week though. :)

M

ML

I'm confused. Regardless of the status of the last spot, I am glad to hear wee difficult child has found the motivation he needed to string together several good days. Congratulations!

KTMom91

I'm not sure. It's possible that they did not communicate clearly on difficult child's status, but if he does well tomorrow, I'd get the rodent.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
They have STILL not told me what his "issue" was with the day yesterday, I just keep getting circular answers like the ones above, but today WAS a good day, so we are now the proud owners of more fuzz...a white guinea pig that that likely will be named Marshmellow. This place is starting to resemble a pet shop. lol