Mama Raygun

I was just wondering if anyone has experience w metadate? My difficult child has been on it since oct. first it was 10mgs then 20 now 30 mgs once a day. I have noticed side affects since increasing like J being very quiet, not eating, saying his ears ring ect... I have been splitting the pill 1/2 in the am 1/2 as soon as he gets home from school and it seems to help. I myself have been on adderal and dexadrine in the past and was wondering if something like that would be better, any thoughts?

DDD

It really varies so much from one person to another. We had the best luck with Concerta, after trying the others, but the nine year old girl and now difficult child#2 are on Vyvance and seem to have no side effects. It's a pain finding the right stimulant but thank heavens they are quick in/quick out. Hugs DDD

LittleDudesMom

Ditto what DDD said - stims really vary from person to person. My son did awful on metadate years and years ago, did well on adderall, but he's now on vyvance and he does lack appetite at the lunch hour during the week at school and it also takes him a little longer to settle at night. But those sides don't outweigh the benefits at school (I don't medicate on weekends or school holidays).

I would give the psychiatrist a call if you are concerned.

Sharon

TerryJ2

That's what my difficult child is taking now. It is the generic for Concerta. We switched from Adderall to Concerta because the Adderall was wearing off too soon. with-ea growth spurt, the medication effects change. So far, it's working fine.
But then, he was like the poster child for stims yrs ago ... had an immediate, positive change within 1/2 hr.