MID??? what is this exactly?

anmari75

MaMa2_3Munkeyz
I was viewing some posts and came across a post that mentioned MID (mild intellectual disability)
what is the standards for this? I havent even heard of it?
The reason I ask is that my 12 year old son has been on an IEP since he was in preschool, first for speech issues and he just always had a hard time learning and was behind...he took kindergarten twice and is still testing well below where he should be.
Well this year in sixth grade, he has been taken off the IEP and they suggested a 504 plan because as they said, he has a low IQ and therefore will always function below level. I stated i dont see how this is acceptable but havent had anything happen since so now he sits and falls farther and farther behind?

i read up on it what i could but any info from any of you is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Not sure what the standards are, but please DON'T let them put him on 504 instead of IEP. 504's have very little to back them up, but IEPs have much in the laws to enforce them. While we have not had troubles with thank you's schools with the 504, many HAVE and I know our middle school will NOT follow a 504 plan. I won't be able to make them either.

I would push the school so he at least progresses at the rate HE can. I worked with my son's ED class in 5th grade as a volunteer. The next year I was helping at the middle school and one child from the class was just sitting there. He was being given all the regular work, no modifications except no failing if he didn't do the work.

He COULDN'T, in any way, do the work. But that, in my humble opinion, does not excuse the school from finding a situation where he COULD learn something. The work could have been altered for him, given in sp ed class (except the teacher there would not let ANYONE be in her room for more than 30 minutes - in her own words on a printed note sent to all her students' families!), or an aide provided to help him. But the school was fine with letting him just sit there like a vegetable, and his mom was not operating on a mental level to push for any changes.

It made me really sad. YOU can push to see your son is challenged on HIS level (Free and Appropriate Public Education) and isn't allowed to just vegetate.

Sorry they actually told you this. Fight for the IEP!!!

Susie

tammyjh

From what little searching I did, I guess that MID is considered in the range of high functioning MR to low borderline in IQ scores. I've never heard the term before but my difficult child came in at a low borderline with her last psychological and neuropsychological testing so I guess she would probably be considered MID as well.
Here's a link to one little blurb I found.
http://specialed.about.com/od/specialedacronyms/g/mid.htm

anmari75

MaMa2_3Munkeyz
Thanks for the info...I am fighting for the IEP still although they told me they dont have to test him again for almost two years. by then he will be finishing eighth grade. if he doesnt get held back that is. (his teacher has already mentioned that might happen this year)...

He is in the sixth grade now and my son IS the one that just sits in the back and melts into the classroom as if he is not there. I ask the teacher about the 504 and he says "well i only tell him to do the questions that he knows"...great he gets to one, has trouble, gets frustrated as he doesnt like to ask for help, ends up mad, gives up and doesnt complete anything!!! it is ridiculous and then the teacher complains that he does not get things finished or those stupid timed tests where you have to do like 75 or 100 problems in 5 minutes and he gets to the second or third line and his teacher complains...says "he is lazy, doesnt try, an attitude problem"
I swear if I did not have to work all the time I would have my boys at home doing there work.

Is there any ways to get back on the IEP before the testing period? Is there any one i can go through besides the people at the school? I would love to transfer him to another school but where we live, I cant promise any other one would be any better!!!

Again, thanks.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I would be sure to post this over in the Special Education forum. Many hugs this, this is so frustrating. I know for teachers it is very frustrating when we are told a child doesn't qualify for an IEP because their IQ is too high to be a cognitive disability but too low to qualify. It makes me angry! That is how it used to be, I'm not sure if that is still the law in qualifying or not-I know I haven't run into that in years.

Marguerite

It's not good to test kids too often. It makes the tests invalid. BUT you can arrange for a private psychologist to assess him FURTHER, get copies of all previous test results in detail sent to a private psychologist and get an opinion based n existing results. There could well be further tests required, but at least it shouldn't involve repeat testing.

It could be different in the US, but hre in Australia I don't trust the accuracy of school testing. My younger three have been tested privately as well as in the school setting, with widely varying results. ALL the school testing averaged out the sub-scores, which gave a much lower IQ estimate and they then used this lower score to justify inaction. "She's not really as bright as you thought; we don't need to give her extension. But she's doing well enough in maths for a kid with her IQ score." She was in fact in the learning disabled but gifted group - needing extension in skill areas PLUS remedial coaching.

When the boys were first tested, they both scored as retarded. They have since been tested in the 135-145 range. BIG difference!

Marg

tammyjh

As far as school vs private testing, I think it depends on the school. Normally, I wouldn't trust the school but when difficult child had her psychological testing, it was surprisingly quite thorough and when we had her retested with a neuropsychologist 6 months later, the testing came back with very similar results. I still advocate for private testing over the school though.