Milk Thistle and artichokes

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
so my sweet friend, has me taking milk thistle and eating artichoke hearts ever since she heard about my liver situation. I keep breaking out in hives around my neck, wondering if it's the milk thistle, what is milk thistle anyways???

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG. I could do the milk and the artichokes...but thistle:

I have NO advice. Just hoping you are getting the help you need.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
So where do you buy thistle? Or do you just go and snatch it from a field? Dang...those things have hundreds of spines on them. That would be a hard thing to swallow.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'd stop. Hives are no little thing. If you're allergic, and obviously you are, the reaction will continue to progress and can/will become more severe.

Stop taking it.

Although I'm with Abbey, I'd have a hard time talking myself into taking thistle to begin with. blah

Abbey

Spork Queen
Although I'm with Abbey, I'd have a hard time talking myself into taking thistle to begin with. blah

I was just reading about it. Sounds pretty neutral at this point. Side effects are minimal, although death is occasional. Nice. Just a side note in small print.

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Milk thistle has been shown in limited studies to help the liver eliminate toxins. I know some people whose kids are taking immune suppressing medications (which tend to put a strain on the liver) and they swear by milk thistle for helping their kids keep their liver enzymes in check.

Have you ever had a problem with artichokes? If not, then it's probably the milk thistle or something in the preparation.

Herbal remedies are not regulated like OTC and Rx medications, so you never know what you're getting or if it's even the right strength. You need to be very careful.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Oh, man, I have a gold mine in my yard and never knew.....thistle......wow! Now just how do you go about milking a thistle?......yea, I know, very carefully.......

This is all news to me, but on wiki it said it was helpful in use for hangovers ......

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, man, I have a gold mine in my yard and never knew.....thistle......wow! Now just how do you go about milking a thistle?......yea, I know, very carefully.......

I want video of this. WMM..."OUCH, OUCH, OUCH!!! DARN IT ALL...WHERE'S THE MILK?"

Abbey