***"Mimi"***

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thanks, gals. The highs and lows this last month have been pretty amazing. It's exhausting- lol!

Suz

busywend

OMG!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!

To Mimi! :wine:

I have not given thought to me Gma name and I am going to keep it that way for now!

judi

Congrats Suz - being a grandma (or whatever we all call it) is one of the biggest joys in my life. I became a Grandma at 48 and still romp with the kids. On a side note, my own parents were in their 40's when they had us and I barely remember a very old lady as a grandma - nothing like what we are today.

N

Nomad

I'm with Fran...hee hee
Forever 45...with Goddess tendencies...it's my diagnosis...heee heeeee....

Ya know...my son just got married and someone asked me the other day what I wanted to be called as grandma...say what?

Didn't know I was suppose to be working on this...but I see now, perhaps I should be.

Suz.....err...Mimi, you are one smart mimicita.

I too wish to know what your SO wishes to be called?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh wow - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

This is actually funny. When I was about 12 I decided I wanted to call my parents something else, so they became "Mimi" and "D.D."

Still call my Dad that. Mom is Mama now.

Before I was born my parents decided that, to avoid confusion, Mom's parents would be Grandma and Grandpa, and Dad's would be Grandmother and Grandfather. I blew that. All of 'em were "gran" till I was about 5, then Grandma and Grandpa respectively. A friend's grandfather was "Grande".

My parents are "Gramma S---" and "Grampa T---" - husband's are "Gramma M" and "Papaw". BM's mother is "Gramma A---".

I also know about Nana, Nene (nay-nay), Bebe, Popsy, and Dadda. (Confusing?!)

I like Mimi.

CONGRATS again!

N

Nomad

Tooo funny.

I came here expecting the answer.

I was thinking...evil things like "Toast" "Done" "Husband of Mimi"
"Mimo" "WTX" "I'm too sexy for this"

Do we get a better hint...like a letter or something?

If not, I'll have fun filling in the blanks...;)

DammitJanet

We all think during the pregnancy that we are going to decide what the baby is going to call us...we even try to convince the baby what she/he is going call us. The baby has a mind of their own! I tried to get Keyana to call me Memaw. I didnt want to have her call me anything close to Grammy because of my mom so I was afraid that Grandma would be too close and we would all make that mistake and she would call me that. So for the first year of her life...we called me Memaw. Come to Memaw Keyana..

Nope...little dickens just wouldnt do it. I was grandma.

Billy named my dad. For all the other kids in our entire family he was Papa. Now he is GrandPapa to the great grands because Tony is Papa to the grands.

Billie's mom was Nana to Haillie and even Keyana before she died. Though Keyana doesnt really remember her other than seeing pictures. Last time she saw her she was 2.

KTMom91

How did I miss this? Congratulations, Mimi!

With Son #2 and KL expecting in Feb, I've had to think about my "grandma name." I chose Granny, because my Granny was a seriously cool lady. My mom is Nana, and it seems that every other grandmother in the family is Grandma (insert name here). I want to be different.

N

Nomad

My friend who suggested I "think" about this name thing is actually a very smart woman.

So, between her comment and this thread...I have begun my research.

Yesterday, I bumped into a new grandmother.

She has requested to be called Nina.

Her husband...get this....

PEE PAW....WOWZER...

Apparently, there has been other grandfathers in their family tree who were called "Pee Paw" and they were beloved folks.

My husband would FREAK!

I kinda like Nina...but it's nothing like my real name....working on it....

:tongue:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I am so enjoying this thread. Thanks so much for your good wishes and sharing your thoughts about names.

I think names are important to me because, frankly, I never knew what on earth to call my former inlaws. The night exdh and I got engaged we went to tell my Mom and she immediately hugged soon-to-be-h and said, "Call me Jean." His folks never did that so I never knew what to call them.

After Rob proposed I told Heather as soon as I could to call me Susie. I don't want a grandchild to be confused either.

I love reading about your variations and personal preferences. And I am so enjoying hearing your stories of how/why you decided to be called what you are called. It's so *telling* in family lore, isn't it?

Suz

Estherfromjerusalem

Suz, I just saw this thread -- sorry, I've been away for a week or so.

I love being called Grandma, or Granny. (In Hebrew, it is Savta, and grandpa is Saba.) It doesn't bother me in the least. Last week, my twenty-first grandchild was born, and as you all know three months ago my oldest grandchild got married. I adore being a grandmother.

It wouldn't have bothered me whatever I was called, because I come from a family with no grandparents. They were all killed in Europe during World War II, and my parents were alone in bringing us up. They really did a good job of it, so much so that I always thought that the norm was that there were no grandparents, and if any of my friends did have any, I presumed that that was an exception!!

So today I have a great relationship with my grandchildren. I make a lot of cookies so that when they come there are home-made cookies, and I buy them their equipment when they start first gradel (did two of them this year). That's an outing that involves me going alone with the child to get the satchel, and then a pencil case plus all that goes inside the pencil case, and after that -- ice cream alone with me! It has become a family tradition. I love being grandma, and am enjoying us being a three-generation family. I just find it thrilling!

Enjoy thinking and dreaming about it, and when it actually happens -- well, I will be the first to welcome you into the club of grandparents. It's the greatest club there is!

Love, Esther

Fran

Former desparate mom
Esther, what a lovely tradition for the first day of school. I may adopt that when I get to be a granny. It's precious and makes each child feel special.
I enjoy spending time with nephews and niece so I can just imagine when I'm a granny.

goldenguru

Oh congrats and welcome to the best club ever!! I love MiMi. It sounds precious. My girls call me Gram. And to be honest, I wouldn't care what they called me - when they look at me with those brown eyes.

I heard a lady in the grocery store the other day say "The only reason I didn't kill my kids, was because I knew they'd give me grandkids". I snickered to myself and thought that truer words were never spoken.

You just wait. You'll soon find out how much love you are capable of. Grands are amazing. HUgs.

N

Nomad

Wow....

GG hit upon something....

What about 'GRAND'

I am adding this to my list....

:D:tongue:;):redface::surprise::D

(GG) (Mimi)

Esther...I had a similar tradition with- my kids.
On the first day of every school year, I would take a photo of them and always had a homemade sweet waiting for them as soon as they got back. Traditions are GREAT and yours is very special!!! (Esther)

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
"The only reason I didn't kill my kids, was because I knew they'd give me grandkids".

If it hasn't been done already, someone would make a fortune putting that on Tshirts. :rofl:

Thanks!

:D