***"Mimi"***

DDD

I think "Mimi" is wonderful. If you have a sweet easy child you probably will be called Mimi. on the other hand, if you have a difficult child you'll be called whatever to heck they want to call you! ;) Congrats! DDD

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
D3, half of my grandchild's DNA is Heather's. Keep your fingers crossed that her side dominates!

:rofl:

Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! Suz HUGE CONGRATS to the whole family!!!! I bet you're thrilled!!!

Welcome to the club!! :D :D

Now you know why I'm called Nana. Kayla is the only grandchild who calls me Grandma and that's because she whispered into the phone that she is too big to call me Nana, so could she please call me Grandma instead. LOL :D I told her since she's the one who gave me the name Nana to begin with.......that I guess it was ok. LOL

But it still feels weird everytime she calls me Grandma.:faint::ashamed:

susiestar

Roll With It
I am late to this, but congratulations!!!!!

I had a Grandma, and a Great Grandma, and a Kitty Cat Grandma. Great Gma and Kitty Cat Gma had the same last name (and couldn't stand each other!). My brother always got them confused so he would ask if it was the gma iwth or without the kitty cats. Hence, kitty cat Gma.

My kids have a Gma (my mom) a MarMar (His mom) and a Nancy (his step mom). mother in law wanted our nephew (the first grandchild) to call her by her name. He managed mar mar and it stuck. Nancy is gma to a whole passel of her own grands and great grands, so being Nancy to my kids is special to her.

I also have an Aunt who my daughter named "Aunt Baggie" cause no matter what she has a baggie to put your 'treasure" in. be it a handful of slime, pillbugs, slobbery cheerios, almost anything, she has something to put it in. And since her name rhymes with baggie, it was a natural for a 2yo.

This is the same child who asked this person "Why are you setting yourself on fire?" when she saw my aunt light a cigarette. she had never seen anyone light one. So she was curious.

Seemed like a good question to me!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG Susie !!! :rofl:

Your post had me cracking up! Aubrey is already getting confused because we've begun to teach her that her family members have actual names to go along with Nana and Papa and such. Poor kid. boyfriend's Mom's name is the same as mine. So Nichole got nowhere fast with that one. lol I'm still Nana and she's still granny said with a sour face. (Aubrey does that every time, it's weird)

Nana has become Darrin's word of endearment for older women. If he feels very close to you, you're a Nana, otherwise just a grandma. The poor kid has too many grandparents when you count in step grandparents and great grandparents, and great great grandparents. But he has only 2 he calls Nana....Me and my mother in law. :) But if he meets a really sweet older woman he will refer to her as a Nana. lol

My kids referred to their grandparents as Gma or Gpa so and so usually. Only my bio dad and his wife were different.....they were papa and granny. My grandfather was referred to as great Gpa.

BUT they would get horribly confused over aunts and uncles they rarely saw, which is all of them. Honestly, they still tend to get confused. Doesn't help that so many have the same first names.

When Nichole was 2 husband's bro's wife shared french fries with Nichole thereby assuring the toddler's love forever. She's been the French Fry Lady every since. And my kids as adults have to be extremely careful not to call her that to her face.:tongue:

While on the subject of names......Aubrey say's she's "Aubrey Horton" As in Horton Hears a Who. :rofl: Her last name rhymes with Horton but she can't get the W out.

Suz.....can you tell you're gonna have fun??? LOL ;)

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
What fun posts. I love the variation in names out there. Too funny!

I found out Thursday that Heather went to the doctor and her due date is earlier than she thought..........it's now April 26 instead of June. I have to go on two back-to-back business trips from April 9-18 next year. I told her she'd better not have that baby while I'm away!!! She promised that she'd lay on the couch the whole time I'm gone to delay things if she has to. ;)

Mimi Suz

DammitJanet

When does that make the 4 month mark? That is when they get to find out the sex! Then you can start buying all the cute clothes...lol.

Abbey

Spork Queen
SUSIE!!!! HOW DID I MISS THIS??? You're going to be a Mimi!! You'll be a great one. And, you get to send them back at the end of the day. I'm just waiting for the block to fall for me. Oldest has been living with his girlfriend for nearly 8 years.

Congrats, dear. I bet you'll find that it's quite enjoyable.

Abbey

Nancy

Thanks Suz for pointing me here. It's clear that I miss a lot on the board with my own problems.

I love Mimi. My sister in law is Mimi to her four grandkids. Congratulations. You will make a great Mimi.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well I knew for sure I didn't want to be a granny. Makes me think of the Beverly Hillbillies lmao. At 35 grandma just didn't quite sit well either. But Kayla settled it by just calling me Nana. Which was ok. All grandpa's in our family are Papa. I don't know how the grands manage to keep them straight as first names are rarely used, but they do.

I always had a issue with memaw simply because that's what K used to call mother in law. And everytime she said memaw she would drag it out in this long whiney voice that grated on my nerves something horrid. lol

I like mimi. :)

Just wait until you get to go shopping for clothes and such. You'll have to be very careful not to go overboard........... *cough* Cuz all us grandparents have such restraint ;)

donna723

I remember when my daughter was very little she always referred to people our age as "mommies" or "daddies" instead of "women" or "men". If she saw a youngish looking woman, she just assumed that they were somebody's mommy. And older people were "grandma's" or "grandpa's" to her. It never occurred to her that these people had actual names!

My brother's three year old grandson that lives with them calls my brothers wife "grandma". And he calls my brother "Daddy". He knows very well that he is his grandfather, not his father, but his father is abusive and totally worthless and he's afraid of him, so he chooses to call my brother "Daddy". And he calls his other grandmother "Knock Knock"! This is the woman who raised the worthless son. She's a serious alcoholic who spends half of her time in jail and when she gets fired up, she goes around 'visiting' all of her relatives. When the little guy and his mom still lived with worthless dad, he only knew his grandmother as the crazy lady who would sometimes show up late at night pounding on their door! So he calls her "Knock Knock"! Makes sense to me!

And Suz, you're at just about the same stage that I was last year this time of year! My grandson's due date was May 20th and they found out in the middle of December that he was a boy. But you never know what will happen! They didn't think she would even make it that far but he ended up coming on May 1st, at 37 weeks, and still weighed 8 lbs. 2 oz. There's no such thing as 'plans' when a baby is on the way.

Congratulations! In our family, the grandchildren seem to have taken over the naming often, and fortunately it's been okay. In one case, the grandmother wanted to be "Granny," but since the "g" was difficult, it came out "Nanny" and stuck. In another case, the grandmother wanted to be "Grandmama," but since that was too much for a child just learning to talk, it came out "Ama," (pronounced like the last part of "mama") and everybody thought that was neat and special. It stuck. The grandchild may indeed have a totally different idea from yours, and you may just turn out to like it better! Could be interesting!