Mind of a Rampage Killer - movie worth watching

SuZir

I picked this up from Netflix, but I believe you can watch it also here: http://video.pbs.org/video/2332614200/

It is very informative document about why things like Newtown happen. What makes kids turn into mass murderers. It also has some interesting information about how both early emotional connections, but also environmental factors during teenage years change person's brains. Also a bit about successful treatment of cold and callous (lacking empathy/conscience) young offenders.

I especially recommend it to those of us, who have laid in their bedf awake at 3 a.m. fearing their child will grow into the next notorious school shooter. I'm sure I have not been only one here with that fear. For us it gives lots to think about but also some hope.

SuZir

One interesting titbit in this was also the fact that school shooters have not been those kids, who are loners and not much interested about their peers. They have been kids, that have wanted to be part of the pack, but for one reason or another have not been accepted.

And that certainly was my kid and one of the things I used to be most worried about. Constantly trying to fit in and always failing, always rejected, is something that does things to any human being. And of course when desperation to fit in hit new highs, also the means in trying got more extreme. My kid was in the end probably saved my strike of luck of being such a talented in one sport. That talent got him some limited peer acceptance before his means to try to fit in and peer groups where to try fit in, grew too extreme.

But one can not even comprehend how much of suffering could be avoided, not only with these still extremely rare rampage shootings, but also in very everyday 'fell in to the wrong crowd'-type of situations, if in some way we would be able to teach young kids to be more open-minded and accepting with their peers and stand bit more of kids being different and having weaker social skills etc.