Minus Hawaii, the best winter weather in the US

Copabanana

in five years I've never seen an Hispanic person other than shopping in a store or working in someone's yard or house.
You know I was going to extol CA where non-whites are over fifty percent of the population until I thought about it for two seconds.

M drives me to work where easily 50 percent of the custody officers are Latinos. Of the dozen or so who he has met who are MX only one has spoken Spanish to him. One called a SGT to follow him, even though he was outside the guard gate. And today, the nice one, who spoke Spanish to him asked what the nature of our relationships was.

Well, we are clearly a couple. We kiss goodbye and hello. We are about the same age. Old. We are together every workday. But his driver's license indicates his non-resident status and I am a doctor. Even though there is no racial difference--he looks Spanish and I am Mediterranean--it is getting clearer to me that to the world we do not belong together. My small city is half Latino--but it is dawning on me that many believe we are supposed to stay socially divided. I am from an old white family. On that side: A racist one. My mother was not wanted, either.

My life with M is 100 percent in the Mexican community. We were welcomed warmly into the very tiny Jewish community here--through my Mother--I am Jewish, but after my Mom's death, which was the impetus to joining, I could not keep it up. I never really noticed anybody was paying attention to M and I. It seems they might have been.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Your mom was saintly in that age Copa. I doubt my parents would ever have felt comfortsble if I'd dated a non white in plain sight. I did it anyway but not looking for their knowledge or approval. After all, early in my life just dating a "gentile" was met with screaming belittling and promises that Jews make the best husbands...shagatz (you know the word) beat their wives, drank and would call me dirty Jew.

I never believed it and I was right.

Seriously, I am sure that my mother would have never acceptd a non white, although many pdople, including some Jews, say Jews are non white.

My interrational family...who knows what she thought? I was not close to her and didnt care. I adopted non white kids becsuse I loved my kids, not for her approval.

I would be fine in CA. Mexicans are just people. I don't get it when others make race a big deal. To each, his/her own. I'm always sad to learn that people worry about race. I avoid those who do.

Copabanana

including some Jews, say Jews are non white.
I always felt this. While sometimes I do indicate white on forms, I identify as non-white, though my hair was red and my skin to the lighter side.

Yes, SWOT. My mother hated racism. She just hated it. And she hated it most of all from other Jews. She could not understand how a people who suffered so much, including as despised immigrants to this country could not welcome with open arms or otherwise support marginalized groups. She would go to her senior citizen current events class to fight with them all and to call them racists, if they ventured to express anything less than welcoming to immigrants, especially. Don't get us wrong. We are Jews. Period. We are firmly centered there. Bernie Sanders types . How proud I am of him.

My mother loved M. He was so good to her.

BusynMember

rebelson, im not concerned. Weather and cost of living are our concern more than anything. I may not understand southern pride, but it doesn't bother me. I'm sure nice and not nice people live everyehere. I do njoy a slow, leisurely atmosphere above crazy rushing of people in both directions, like Chicago. I worked Downtown fir two years Fast paced.

Although this in no way belittles the eastern part of the country, my trips there were not as chatty and friendly as my small town in Wisconsin. Thats the one part of the country I'm not interested in staying at for long. Of course, much of the East is cold in the winter!

My experiences south have been friendly, good food and pleasant...with certain accents I couldnt understand...lol. Well...lol. But I enjoyed myself.

Of all the states though my LOVE of good coffee may just make me beg for the Land of Coffee!!! Seattle, here I come...maybe...

But not if it rains all winter! :windy:

Last edited:

rebelson

If you would like to know the name of the gorgeous campground, with deer standing 10ft from you, on every turn & on a humongous, very active (boaters, jet skiers, tubing) lake where we camped a few wks back, private msg me. I think it was $26/night, water/electric hookup, washer/dryers and bathhouses on site. The retired couple who run the entrance hut are super friendly and told us that they get many regulars who stay there multiple times per year. Some snowbirds stop there on their way down to FL.

BusynMember

Copa your mom was awesome in that regard.

My own mother cared nothing for the Jewish religion but she snd my dad wanted Jewish grandchildren and Christmas trees were bad to her, at least when I was dating. She did melliw out after I married out if the religion and raised the kids Christian.

I was looking for the meaning of life and found Judaisn not to be a religious religion. in the end, Christianity came closer, but I ended up very spiritual and more Buddhist than anything.

And we do have a Christmas tree. Its lovely and part of our family tradition.

I am white in my opinion. A religion is not a race in my opinion. And I'm not even that religion. I dont accept that your religion can be a race as well. JMO and fine if you disagree ;)

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Well...I'm laughing. I was raised in NY....lived in Difficult Child ( talk about diverse)...and now in AL. Ok...I will admit, AL was not on my radar!

I miss food in NY....nothing in Difficult Child....18 yrs and 911...We were done.

I don't get southern pride...but we are Welcome, have never met nicer people....

by the way....I dream of rving.....not our time yet:)

BusynMember

I would say I have no desire to live in NYC or Washington D C and where else I feel are on terrorism radar. Sure it can happen anywhere, but much more likely in meaningful big cities than smaller towns and smaller population states.

Plus I'm not a city person although I lived near Chicago and worked there. I dont miss big city life...at all. NYC is way too big and too crowded. Towns like Boston and other eastern cities dont call my name either. Plus the snow is horrible.

Also Im a big football fan and just hate NY and Boston teams...lol. And dont get me started on baseball and the Yankees and Red Sox!!!

Last edited:

AppleCori

Prescott?

I lived in the area early 90s.

I could look out my kitchen window and see the mountains while I did the dishes. One of the most interesting places I have lived.

AppleCori

If it was me, I would travel around a lot, not stay in one place.

Have you been to Utah? Specifically, Moab.

I was there last March. One of the most beautiful states in the country.

Copabanana

I dont accept that your religion can be a race as well.
Actually I do not even believe that races exist. They are invented categories to exclude.

But that said, Jews are genetically distinct. For the longest time there was the belief that sephardim were genetically different. They are not. Jews are Jews and I believe genetically nearly identical to Palestinians.

We can decide who we are, no? They let me do so when I apply to college or for the census, so I do. Rational? Not really.

BusynMember

I know we will drive around first. But its too expensive not to have a home base for winter. Summer we'll be back in Wzi. Got several cool parks here.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
I didn't live in the city, though while visiting was stranded in Hurricane Sandy in Manhattan.

I don't care for the Washington area, but hubby grew up there.

I love the smoky mountains. Never have seen Utah.

AppleCori

You need to see Utah sometime!

It is the most unique state I have seen.

We try to go to as many state parks as possible.

Last March we drove across Nebraska, where we hit a wind storm (while trying to take pictures), then a rain storm, then snow as we crossed the Rockies in Colorado, all in the space of a couple of hours.It was a beautiful trip. Went to several parks in Utah and the Grand Canyon in AZ. Then to the Valley for dry ninety degree weather and swimming.

Lil

Nobody calls me a liar or tries to make me look hateful without hearing back about it.

Excuse me???? IN NO WAY did I call you a liar! I disagreed with your take on the south and NO, I have not witnessed the kind of thing you are talking about. I did not say you have not. I said in my experience, I have not seen such things and frankly, I find the south a delightful place to visit. It is a pity you have had bad experiences, but I have not and maybe it's my own "liberal stench" but I do not like people reducing an entire region of people to stereotypes.

You know what, you just go right back to unfollowing me lady. I have no desire to fight with you and never did. But I AM entitle to my opinion just as much as you are and I WILL speak it as I see fit.

Lil

Okay, since I expect to get that last post deleted at some point, I'll move on. Except to say SWOT, you are a model of neutrality. :)

I have been through Utah, but not since I was about 17. I remember Salt Lake City is all. An absolutely beautiful city for sure; so clean and shiny.

My family used to take these long trips by car when I was a kid, always thru Salt Lake then up to Northern CA, OR, WA, then down thru Idaho, WY and Montana. I remember the mountains more than anything. Nothing prettier, but I'm sure it gets COLD in the winter - I remember seeing my breath in Yellowstone in June. But if you haven't been there...everyone should go to Yellowstone at some point.

I envy you SWOT. Enjoy your planning!