Missing mama and 6 little orphans

DammitJanet

I have apparently lost my beloved Nina and now have six 5 week old puppies who are badly missing mommy in my living room.

I last heard Nina barking late last night when both her and Buddy were making an almighty racket at something over towards the northeast side of my yard. But that was where another whole gaggle of other dogs were barking too so we assumed the dogs were barking at them. You know how it goes in the night when one dark barks, they all do. Well Tony made Buddy come in but Nina was out with the puppies in the crawl space under our house. Right after Buddy came in, I heard her barking hard again. Normally she doesnt join into the fray unless Buddy is out there with her. Im wondering if it was something more now because that is the last any of us can say we have any contact with her. It could possibly be someone in the yard or going through the land and she charged them and they either grabbed her or they shot her and dragged her off so we wouldnt know.

She doesnt roam far and never goes to the road but I did drive it looking for her.

I am so upset. Nina was my baby. She was autistic and everyone thought she was so weird but she was my little girl even if I could never train her. Now I am keeping her puppy that acts just like her...lol. When I brought the puppies in the house, Abigail ran right to the same spot her mommy used to hide in when she was a baby. I turned to Tony and pointed it out and he said yep...momma's girl. She is so shy and quiet. The rest of them think I am a giant play toy with feet.

I still have the middle sized steel pen that we got when we got Buddy. These guys can all fit in there for quite awhile.

Thankfully they are old enough to eat and I have been supplementing their food for about a week now. I do have to soak it and I also use some canned puppy food to mix in with it.

As much as I am praying Nina just shows up tomorrow morning, I am not holding my breath.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Can Billy and Tony search the yard?? Is it possible she's hurt and lying somewhere? OMG Poor Nina!! It is very unlikely momma dog wouldn't go back to her pups especially when she's been so protective.

Might want to ask that neighbor that saw Buck walking the road while he was staying with you if he's still at it......... He probably didn't have anything to do with it, but still, wouldn't be a bad idea to check. And maybe same neighbor could've spotted someone else lurking around. Due to Nina's breed.........well, someone could've been hoping to snatch her pups if you know what I mean.

Holding good thoughts and saying prayers for mommy Nina, your baby girl.

(((hugs)))

DammitJanet

I have asked all the neighbors I can find and asked them to ask theirs. My main road is clear as a bell. You can tell if an animal has been hit, there is always a stain at least the first day and people around here just arent known to pick up the animals when they hit them. Most someone might do is move it to the side of the road. I have searched all over my yard. It is simply too chilly out tonight to leave the pups out tonight and I am afraid if someone did grab her, well they could come back for the babies. I will keep them inside unless she shows up. Looks like I am gonna have my work cut out for me. LOL. I dont think the little blanket I put in there tonight is enough. I am going to make a better quilt for them tomorrow during the day. I have a very old used quilt that I can cut up to make a good warm place for them to sleep. I also have an old rug to lay down in the family room and block it off so they cant wander around the house.

donna723

Oh Janet, how awful! You must be worried sick! I hope she's alright and that she comes home to her babies. I hate to say it but Lisa might be on to somethng there, especially if he decides that he can get some money for her and her puppies!

InsaneCdn

Do you have an old-fashioned hot water bottle? Don't put HOT water in, but warmest tap water... and wrap it in a towel or two. The pups will snuggle up to it...

DammitJanet

no hot water bottle but thats a good idea. I have to go to walmart tomorrow so I will get one. Lord this is a long night! They settled down for a while but started crying about an hour ago and I had to get up for the 2am feeding. LOL. There is simply no way I can take all of them outside at this point because I couldnt keep up with all of them in the dark. We have this old rolled up rug that Tony got some place for free but he swears it is some nice thing. I have seen it and its some cheap thing from Big Lots I think. No one gives away a tapestry rug. I hauled it out and put it on the floor so the puppies had some where to potty...lol. He isnt going to be pleased with me. One good thing though, they were all trying to get to the door to get out to go potty! Smart for 5 weeks old. They follow me around like little ducklings and I really have to watch it because I can easily step on one. Personally I think we should gate them into someplace with vinyl on the floor instead of carpet but Tony isnt that smart.

Oh good, they are quiet again...puppy sleep...best sound around! Especially with six of them...lol.

Calamity Jane

Janet,
I hope you can find your Nina - oh, what a wreck I would be!

For the puppies, go on youtube and check out this video about putting 5 pups to sleep - you or Tony should try it. Type in the caption below to search for the video, I know you'll get a kick out of it:

Lets see the Dog Whisperer do this!!

Lothlorien

Call the local police dept. If anyone's reported a dog, they might be aware. Whenever I find a loose dog (which is A LOT), I always inform the police that I have the dog, so if anyone's looking for them, they will call. They might also know if the dog's at the pound. Call the local animal control too.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh my, Janet, I'm so sorry - it doesn't sound good at all. Those poor babies should not lose their mom so young either! Have Tony and/or Billy checked in the surrounding areas? I hate the thought of her out there alone. You'll do fine as a surrogate mom. When I was little, my mom had to do it. She put a heating pad under the blankets on low to keep the babies warm. Hugs~

Star*

call 911........call 911
Don't buy a hot water bottle -

Take a 2 liter pepsi bottle and pour hot water in it and wrap it with a towel - test just like you would a baby bottle for heat - they'll wrap around it. It will get cold - remove and then reheat some water and refill, re-wrap.

Also - they will like a wind up alarm clock - for the ticking sounds like mommas heart. Keeps them snoozy longer.

You can also throw towels in the dryer - and roll them up this is like warm sibs.

And FYI - If you soak puppy food and THEN put it in a blender? It makes a mash - and THAT is way easier for them to digest and eat and get down and not choke on. Put blender on grind. Put the mash on paper plates. THey're going to be messy - but it's easier for you to clean up and toss out and serve.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
If you have a heating pad - set it on low........and leave it in there - they'll find it and lay on it. HIGH will burn them.

susiestar

Roll With It
Did you ever have a heartbeat bear for Keyana? Or did they get one for Mickey? the pups will love that far more than an alarm clock. I see them all the time at the thrift stores now, with working sounds for a buck or two at most. They are awesome. the 2 liter bottle is a great thing for the pups. You can also do a rice sock heated in the microwave, but put it in a bread or newspaper bag and wrap that with cloth so if they pee on it they don't ruin it.

witzend

This just breaks my heart, Janet! How could someone take a nursing mother from her pups? She's going to be miserable! And the poor puppies!

Tiapet

Old Hand
I'm sorry that nina went missy janet. I have no easy answers. Everyone has given you good advice for the pups. I'm just hoping for a good outcome in the end and not a bad or sad one.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Also been waiting and wondering about any news on Nina. I'm hoping to high heaven you found her and she just wandered a bit far trying to chase some animal away from her babies......

Hugs

S

Signorina

Checking in before bed-hoping for good news...thinking of you & the wee pups