Mom in Hospital - Rectus Sheath Hematoma

susiestar

Roll With It
My mom is in the hospital at least overnight. She has been fighting bronchitis since before Thanksgiving. All the coughing has caused problems. she has a rectus sheath hematoma. the sheath around her rectus abdominus muscle is torn and is filling up with blood. these usually go away on their own but take several months according to what I can find.

She fell this am, and then felt like hot knives were being stuck into her stomach. Wiz was home and woke up my dad telling him that she fell and the ambulance was coming and that he had it under control. Wiz had her medication history and her list of medications printed off, rode in the ambulance with her, and even remembered that they were picking up thank you to take him to the first team meeting for Odyssey of the Mind and then bring him home.

I haven't visited, thanks to a dang migraine, but will visit tomorrow. I just HATE that she is so sick. Having both parents in pain is AWFUL! esp when I can't hug one and couldn't visit the other.

Anyone have experience with this problem? I will be suggesting lidoderm patches for this, too.

I am so PROUD of Wiz, and so glad that he lives with them so he could help with this. If he hadn't been there, I wonder how long it would have been before Mom was able to get to the phone. I am pretty sure that she couldn't have woken my dad up - partly because where she was and partly because he sleeps so soundly. Wiz was really wonderful during all of this. thank you isn't the tiniest bit worried, and he would be if Wiz hadn't made it all seem so okay.

Wiz has become a wonderful young man, in my opinion.

M

ML

Way to go Wiz! He really is becoming a young man. I'm sorry to hear your mom is ailing though.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm very proud of Wiz......not an easy thing for a difficult child to go through at all. Sending hugs for you and your family! Take care Susie*

Hugs & love
STar

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No experience with an abdominal hematoma, BUT (no pun intended) I had a perineal hematoma after delivering difficult child 1 that was still the size of a lemon at my 6-week checkup -- that's when they finally diagnosed why I'd been in such horrible pain immediately post-partum and for so long afterwards (morons thought I was being a baby when I was screaming about the pain feeling like a baseball bat rammed up my hind end).

The treatment for the hematoma was hot, hot hot-as-you-can-stand-it sitz baths, so I imagine for the abdominal area a heating pad would be the next best thing short of a hot-tub.

I gave myself a baaaad hematoma on the side of my calf last summer and I STILL have a lump where the salad-plate-sized bruise was. It's only about silver-dollar sized now, but it itches like crazy and I'm treating it with the heating pad for about 20 min each night -- seems to help.

Kudos to Wiz for stepping up like that!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Very very proud of Wiz for taking such good care of his grandma in an emergency, that's not so easy to do remembering everything. Good for him!!

So sorry to hear this though. I hope they can get her bronchitis under control and the hematoma resolves itself quickly.

Saying prayers

(((hugs)))

Nancy

I'm sorry about your mom and hope she feels relief soon. It's hard when your parents are sick and you can;t get there to help.

I'm very proud of Wiz. He handled the situation perfectly, what a responsible young man he is.

Nancy

H

HaoZi

Hope your mom is doing better soon, happy that Wiz has really grown up so much.

buddy

I got chills hearing how Wiz handled all of that. Having recently gone through those adrenaline filled moments, I was thinking what a remarkable guy he was doing all of that. Being so organized and not forgetting anything... holy heck. That is wonderful.

I hope your mom feels better quickly. Sorry you can't feel more involved right now, but you have to get better first.

Lothlorien

Yay Wiz!

Hoping that they are able to control her pain. I've no experience with that, but I've strained muscles from coughing so much and know how uncomfortable that is. I can only imagine the pain....~shiver~

Steely

Sending your Mom healing prayers --- wow, that sounds like it really, really is uncomfortable :(
Give Wiz an extra hug for me too

susiestar

Roll With It
She is still in the hospital today. They are talking about releasing her tomorrow but they are not sure. Dad asked us to please not visit today. Said he is sure bro will but he is asking both of us to not visit. She is sleeping all the time. If you visit you wake her up, then after 5 or maybe 10 min you can see exhaustion just dragging her down.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

Wiz is amazing. I am so proud of him!