Money Saving Ideas

trinityroyal

There are certain things that I've started buying from the Dollar Store because their prices are so much cheaper for the same things.

I do this as well.
I've found that the office supplies and stationery at the Dollar Store are so much less expensive than they are at Staples or Costco, and the quality is not too bad.

I've also started reusing printer paper. I cut the used sheets into quarters and use the backs as scratch paper. Much less expensive than buying little note pads.

I also used shredded paper as packing material when shipping things at Christmas, rather than buying bubble wrap or those horrible styrofoam peanuts.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well .............

We planted our own corn. Saved the cobs and did away with Charmin.

We started doing our own auto repairs to save money - and ended up with 2 broken cars. Now we ride bikes. I hate the comments - "hey lady did yer butt swallow the seat or do ya like to ride on a stick." but I'm the one saving gasoline. I've been riding for 3 months and haven't lost a pound, had to replace the tires 2 times, but recycled the cut up innertubes to tie up the corn.

Instead of lights we have been using candles. Once a week I allow myself 5 minutes of internet time to get on craigslist and freecycle to beg for used wax and then ride my bike all over to get the used candles to melt for new candles. (note to self - you can not use cut up innertubes for wicks)

Instead of using the lawn mower - we got a goat. Not those fancy fainting kind - (no laying down on the job in this house we're saving money) and we use the goats milk for the kids' cereal. We use the goat "pellets" for making fireplace pancakes to heat the house. The smell takes a little getting used to but now when we get teased by the neighbors that we think we're Hot "goat pellets" we can answer truthfully - yes. Yes we are. Try some?

I've cut out all beauty aids, like deoderant, shampoo, makeup, nail polish - phew what a savings. No literally - P.U. The downside is obvious - but the upside is that between not purchasing or using deoderant and the goat pancakes we don't have mosquitos within 100 yards of our home and have saved so much on vet medications for the dogs - we' were able to get another goat.

I've also taken up sewing to offset the cost of my bike maintenance. Learned how to hunt with a bow and arrow since bullets are expensive and irretrevable. REcently I made a coat of of my trappings......problem is I look like a sexy goat in my deer skin coat and well - you guessed it. I can't feed the goats any more.

I refuse to give up my toothbrush, but in an effort to lessen household expenses have gone to brushing my teeth with the baking soda I take out of the fridge. You think mint and cinnamon would be all the rage but week old pot roast and three year old popsicle aren't too bad for a change of taste. We rinse with rain water, we bath with it, wash our clothes in it, water the goats with it. We all have this lovely global glow.

So far those are the only tips I can think that could be helpful.

I'm still clipping coupons though - and hope to get a cart for my bicycle with the money we're making toting aluminum cans home each day. :tongue:

donna723

"I also used shredded paper as packing material when shipping things at Christmas, rather than buying bubble wrap or those horrible styrofoam peanuts."

Trinity, I got a ton of peanuts and bubble wrap when I was so busy buying antique glassware on eBay ... can't afford it now, but I saved all the peanuts in a big plastic bag! I mailed three big boxes of Christmas gifts to my daughter and sister in law in South Carolina using heavy copier paper boxes I snitched from work and some of my saved up peanut collection (that my son loves to tease me about). I was just thankful I got rid of some of them. A week later I got two big boxes of gifts in the mail from them ... packed in my same copier paper boxes, and even the same styrofoam peanuts! Next year, they're gettin' them back!

crazymama30

I thought of another one!! I buy big blocks of cheese, shred it and freeze it in ziplock bags. I get the convience of shredded cheese but not the inconvient cost. Just did this today with mozzarella. We eat a lot of cheese.

trinityroyal

CM30, that's a great idea. We go through a lot of cheese here as well. I spend a lot of time standing around with the cheese grater. I'll have to try that.

Trinity

crazymama30

Trinity, they (at least in the states) make something called a salad shooter. It is kinda like a hand held food processer that only grates and slices. I think I paid about $20 for it, and it can grate cheese slicker than anything. I hate cheese graters, as I always grate my knuckles.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow, the cheese idea is great. Nichole get's tons of cheese from WIC for Aubrey. (do they really expect a toddler to eat so much cheese?) We cube it for snacks and lunches, but are always afraid it's gonna go bad. So now I'll just shred and freeze! :D

trinityroyal

Trinity, they (at least in the states) make something called a salad shooter. It is kinda like a hand held food processer that only grates and slices.

It slices! It dices.
I think I've seen something of the sort on late-night TV. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks CM30

Trinity

trinityroyal

Whaddaya know. You can buy one on Amazon. I'd never have thought...
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Presto-SaladShooter-Electric-Slicer-Shredder/dp/B00006IV0R"]Amazon.com: Presto 02910 SaladShooter Electric Slicer/Shredder: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

crazymama30

Trinity--that is it. The first on I had I wore out, and husband found another one at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. I ran it thru the dishwasher on a sanitize cycle, and we are good to grate!!!