Mood Dysregulation in our difficult child's

mom_to_3

I was at the Texas Medical Association Convention this past week and sat in on a psychiatric seminar for a few minutes. Oh my goodness, was it (sorry to say) boring! I was with coworkers and was unable to stay for the complete seminar, but I would have liked to have been there for the Q & A after the seminar. This room was full of psychiatrists! I wasn't there for psychiatric purposes, but thought this seminar would be very interesting. I did stay long enough to hear that the bipolar diagnosis not otherwise specified, was given out too frequently and that physicians needed to be looking at other diagnosis's to explain difficult child behaviors. Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder or DMDD. He also mentioned severe mood dysregulation and temper dysregulation. There is an article in the February issue of The Journal of Psychiatry titled Taking Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder Out for a Test Drive http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleid=1566892 Thought you all might be interested.

BusynMember

OMG. I'm glad to see your post!:) Mood disorders are not necessarily bipolar and there is no proof that what our moody kids go through is going to turn into adult bipolar disorder. I heard MDD was going to become the new bipolar and not just for kids.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Interesting! Now I need to compare DMDD with TDD. They seem very similar.

" Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder has two symptom criteria: severe temper outbursts and irritable or angry mood. The diagnosis has criteria for frequency (at least three outbursts per week), persistence (irritable/angry mood most of the day, nearly every day), duration (at least 12 months, with no more than 3 consecutive months without meeting symptom criteria), age (minimum age 6 years), age at onset (before age 10), and context (present in multiple settings). Lastly, the disorder has a relatively complex set of diagnostic exclusion criteria, which include a requirement to use the disruptive mood dysregulation diagnosis when a child meets criteria for both disruptive mood dysregulation and oppositional defiant disorders."

InsaneCdn

Lastly, the disorder has a relatively complex set of diagnostic exclusion criteria, which include a requirement to use the disruptive mood dysregulation diagnosis when a child meets criteria for both disruptive mood dysregulation and oppositional defiant disorders
Wow. THAT's a step forward. Basically... if it can be something else, then skip the ODD label. Maybe somebody on the DSM committee was reading on our board and our frequent comments about ODD?!

DammitJanet

actually many of us had parental input into the DSM V. I know I did.

About TDD. I dont know if anyone notice's or not but I changed Cory's diagnosis to TDD about 2 years ago because he had a new psychiatric exam and they changed his diagnosis to that because he wasnt showing the signs of adult bipolar. He actually never had actual depressive episodes but we just chalked up the anger to that. We tried to fit him into that mold too. Now he more fits just the ADHD severe. He still has some impulsivity issues from time to time. He is getting better at holding his tongue. Some things with him will just never change and I just have to accept those.

IT1967

What's TDD? I do believe both my kids have that DMDD diagnosis. I really feel it closely describes them. :( My therapist has mentioned several times that she thinks their diagnosis might be "mood disorder" which I assume is the same thing. I've asked her what it means for the future and she's hinted that it could turn out to be bipolar in adulthood which of course, is heartbreaking to me, because I know from conversations with-my own therapist that bipolar is very hard to keep stable.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
" In April of 2010, the American Psychiatric Association (“APA” ) announced the proposed changes for the next edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual: the DSM 5. Among the changes was the proposed classification of Temper Dysregulation Disorder with Dysphoria (TDD) which is now called Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder (DMDD)."

http://www.jbrf.org/new-classification-for-dsm/