More health problems. Need prayers

Californiablonde

Right now I am totally scared I have colon cancer. My grandmother had it in her 60's and it's hereditary. I have had bad constipation for the last three days, meaning I haven't gone to the bathroom AT ALL. A good facebook friend of mine has colon cancer and she added me to her cancer support group several months ago. Since I have had this constipation since Monday, I have asked members of the group if it's indeed a sign of colon cancer.

Every single person said that constipation was their very first indicator they had colon cancer. Now I'm super scared and going to make an appointment with my doctor. Several members of the group have already passed from the disease. I do not want to die yet! I am looking forward to being a grandmother some day. I have also been having these darned chest pains still and now they are worse since I'm under such stress. Cancer is my worst nightmare. I need good thoughts/prayers/reassurance everything will be okay!

Jabberwockey

First off RELAX! Don't jump to conclusions with so little information. For right now its just constipation and happens all the time. That being said, yes, since you have a family history have yourself checked out. Its a good possibility that the pain in your chest is the beginnings of a panic attack so just calm down. Remember, you have a symptom not a diagnosis. Prayers!

Lil

Hon, you've been dieting and a change in your diet can do awful things to your system. I've had three days of constipation before. Lots of times. It's incredibly uncomfortable, but not necessarily a sign of something worse. Get something like Correctol or Dulcolax and take it a few hours before bed. Lots and Lots of water!

By all means make a doctor's appointment if it will make you feel better...but like Jabber said...don't panic.

Jabberwockey

And now that I think about it, I should point out that fiber is VERY important for regulating....shall we say flow? I have IB with diarrhea and take Metamucil multiple times a day to regulate. Contrary to popular believe though, taking fiber WILL NOT cause constipation but instead will ease it. Like I said, fiber regulates.

InsaneCdn

Fiber WILL cause constipation if it is taken with insufficient fluid.

Drink. Eat. Relax.

I've known people go 6-10 DAYS ... and they didn't have cancer. Not that it is WISE to do that.

Take the normal home-remedy and/or over-the-counter options for solving the problem before you start jumping to conclusions.

Californiablonde

I bought a laxative on my lunch break so I am going to take a dose tonight before bed. Hopefully that will get things "moving." On the back of the box it says that if the pills don't cause a bowel movement within 12 hours then it could be a serious condition. I hope that's not the case with me. Wish me luck!

SuZir

You are dieting, and to my understanding going with rather low calories. That means you are likely eating rather small amounts. If you are not eating lots of veggies, it is possible, that you simply don't have that much matter to end up to become faeces. And if you are doing weight watchers system, and it hasn't drastically changed from what it used to be when one of my friends was on it and I read some of their material, if you 'bargain' with the system, try to find foods that give you least points, and don't pay enough attention to what they recommend for fat intake, you easily end up with very, very low fat diet, which can also cause constipation. Do check also that.

Lots of fibres, water and enough fat is needed for your digestive system to work well. Try to avoid use of laxatives, they may mess up your system even further. They are safe when used rarely, but do not make it a habit.

Lil

I read some of their material, if you 'bargain' with the system, try to find foods that give you least points, and don't pay enough attention to what they recommend for fat intake, you easily end up with very, very low fat diet, which can also cause constipation.

This is absolutely correct. I did WW once back in the 80's and figured "if low fat is good, no fat is better". Yeah...not. After a couple weeks I had dry flaky skin, I felt like my joints were stiff, my hair was dry and ... yep...constipation. The WW leader told me to immediately stop buying low and no-fat foods!

Don't freak out if you take a pill and don't go in 12 hours either! Again, lots of water and don't expect things to be "easy" if you know what I mean.

InsaneCdn

Lettuce has more water than milk - seriously, go look it up. (by weight, not by volume)

So, how much fiber there is in a salad depends on what is in the salad. Cabbage salad is loaded in fiber. Broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, and such are high in fiber. Carrots are not bad. Celery is mostly fiber. So... if your salad was mostly lettuce, not so much fiber. If it was a real mix of veggies, it would have a decent helping of fiber, and if it was a cabbage slaw, for example, it would have LOTS of fiber.

BusynMember

Hon, get off the cancer site. If you are at all like I was at your age, I could not read about any disease without thinking I have it and looking for symptoms. I was a really bad hypochondriac (it often rides along merrily when one has anxiety disorder). I am not one anymore, but I just don't go out of my way to hear about things that scare me. Please explain to your friend that, although it probably sounds silly, being in her cancer group is making you too afraid YOU have cancer so you will have to drop out and don't worry if she doesn't get it. If you have anxiety disorder, I get it and anyone with anxiety disorder would get it and, if she is a real friend, she will try to understand and not be upset.

I don't pay much attention to my bowels, other than to have colonoscopies when I'm supposed to (fun, fun, fun), but I have been constipated a lot of times. On Weight Watchers I didn't eat as much so I didn't go as much, if ya know what I mean. I always had oatmeal in the morning for fiber and lots and lots of fruit and veggies. I still indulge in all three of them a lot. Exercise is helpful as well.

And don't stress over it because I have found that stressing over anything seems to make whatever we are stressing over even worse. IF you are anything like me, you can obsess over things until you are in panic mode and unable to think of much else ;). I'm sure you are fine. Go to the doctor to ease your mind.

Californiablonde

Well I took my laxative last night and still nothing so I took a second dose twelve hours later. I finally went to the bathroom twice. The medications are giving me big time nausea and stomach cramps and I'm sitting here at work feeling TERRIBLE but relieved. I am hoping I won't have any further issues. I have gained 3 pounds since Sunday despite some very heavy duty diet and exercise. I'm sure the constipation has something to do with it. I am hoping from now on I will be back to normal.

ctmom05

Dieting, emotional turmoil, & regular every day stress can all influence your bowel habits.

I don't know a darn thing about colon cancer, but as someone who has been treated for another type of cancer several times, my advice would be to talk to your family doctor & take it from there

Your imagination aka worrying is your worst possible enemy right now

You would have other symptoms. Maybe by now all is well. There would be blood. Have a colonoscopy to reassure. Plus...liquid diet, an easy pound lost. No I honestly can only "go" on the weekends. I don't know why, Time? Stress? You aren't eating much, that s the. reason.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have iBS and other instestinal issues related to an emergency surgery years ago.

Missing 3 days just means you are constipated. It's not a big deal and it is NOT a definitive sx of colon cancer. This is your obsessive thinking at work. It's your diet that is doing this to you. More fiber and more liquids will fix your problem in no time.

Stool softeners are NOT habit forming. Fiber is NOT habit forming. The only laxatives that are habit forming are stimulant laxitives such as senna.

Change your diet, increase your liquid intake, and increase your exercise. You'll be fine.

Lil

I agree completely with Going North. You've indicated you aren't big on a lot of fruits and veggies, so you probably aren't getting enough fiber. Try that yogurt too...Activia. There is a fiber suppliement you can buy...citrucel or something like that...that has no taste. I've known people who mixed it with yogurt or in orange juice. But you MUST get lots of water if you're getting lots of fiber!

Confused

Californiablonde, I hope your feeling better now, make sure you have a doctors appointment just to ease your fears. Im sure your fine, no matter what you have my support. And the others already gave you great ideas, hugs

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB. If you can eat a large bowl of real oatmeal (not the instant stuff) every day for breakfast and try to get five servings of fruit and high fiber veggies every day, and substitute brown whole grains for white processed grains, and be sure to drink 8 glasses of non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic beverages per day, your colon will thank you.

If you like plums, try prunes. They are tasty eaten right out of the package. Try dried apricots, they are yummy, too. Just don't go crazy on them. Eat leafy greens, raw crunchy veggies, as much raw/stewed fruit as you can.

Cut back on meat. Eat root veggies raw or steamed. Cut back on processed foods and frozen meals.

Add fiber to your diet by using Benefiber. It I is a flavorless, powdered fiber that can be added to foods, and hot or cold beverages. It is odourless, flavorless, and doesn't alter texture. It also won't give you gas. Just follow the instructions on the package. Be sure to push liquids if you are adding fiber to your diet.

Try to walk as much as you can. Motion is lotion when it comes to bowel motility.

Psyllium is also good, but it can be a little harsh on the innards for some people, but be assured, missing three days just means you are a little bunged up,not that you are potentially dying.

Those of us who have to take pain medications, or some psychiatric medications deal with this problem all the time.

I take psychiatric medications that cause constipation and diabetes medications that cause diarrhea. My poor colon doesn't know if it's coming or going.

Californiablonde

Well I am super frustrated to say the least. I am back to being constipated. I went to the bathroom ONE day on Friday, which is the day I took those horrible stimulant laxatives, and haven't gone since. I started taking Metamucil two days ago and still nothing. I am drinking lots more water plus increasing my fiber intake yet I'm still constipated and GAINING weight.

I have also developed bad stomach acid and this morning when I bent down to put on my shoes I threw up a bunch of acid all over my sweater. I am going to schedule and appointment with my doctor and I'm TERRIFIED. Doctors scare me like you wouldn't believe. I have a serious phobia. But I am forcing myself to go. I just pray it's nothing serious.