More on Jess

susiestar

Roll With It
This is just to let you all know what is going on. I do appreciate your prayers and concerns, as does Jessie.

The shaking is called an "extra pyramidal reaction". The pyramidal part refers to the part of the brain involved in the shaking.

In doing research, this is related to tardive dyskinesia, but it happens at the beginning of treatment with a medication.

It is not usually permanent. That would be VERY rare. Usually it ends when the medication causing it is out of the body. It is treated with a variety of medicines, but usually with benadryl.

Jess is still shaking, but the episodes are not as bad. She was able to hide most of them from her Grandparents and Aunt and cousin over the Holiday. She said it was hard to hide it or leave the room, but she didn't want them to make a big deal about it.

Apparently my father in law made a big enough deal about the return to homeschooling.:mad: She calmed when I reminded ehr that it isn't HIS decision, and that I will tell him next time I see him that it wasn't HER decision, it was mine and husband's. Jess tend to get quite upset when her grandfather starts questioning her about things she can't control. problem because he reverts to that "football coach mentality" and it can seem like an inquisition. Sigh.

I do notice when she gets upset she shakes more.

The benadryl is making her very tired, but she is a trooper.

If the shaking isn't GONE by Tues I will call the neuro and be a pain in HIS hiney:tongue: to get another medication called in for this.

Just wanted to let you know she IS making progress. :D

gcvmom

Here we go again!
How frustrating to have to deal with side effects like that! We had something similar with difficult child 2 on some of the AP's. Risperdal, Abilify and Zyprexa sent him into a bizarre dystonic dance with facial spasms and neck torsion. It was all relieved with Benedryl (and a steroid injection with the first attack). Very scary at first, but once I knew what I was seeing, I was able to manage subsequent reactions at home instead of the ER.

Hope this all wears off soon for Jess!

M

ML

What a relief that they know what was causing these and that it shouldn't be permanent. How scared she must have been, not to mention her mom. Give her a hug for me! Love, ML

Jena

This is pretty much what we were speaking of, yes?? I'm glad to hear it's getting better and i'm also glad to hear exactly what it is. Regarding questioning Jess yes family members can be so so rough at times and they dont' even realize what it is their doing.

Hugs to Jess for me :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
If Jess' shaking isn't gone by Tuesday and you take her back to the doctor and her shaking isn't gone? I'm gonna fly to OK and shake HIM. Until his teeth fall out.

:surprise:

Stella Johnson

Poor kid always has something going wrong. I hope it gets better soon. How long is this supposed to last?
I hate it when relatives think they know what a child needs. The last thing she needs is him telling her she shouldn't be home schooled when her parents say she should be. Completely undermining your parenting.:mad:

Steph

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh, he ONLY commented because I wasn't there. He and I went round and round a few years ago regarding his rights to criticize us and HOW he could register his disagreements. We came to a truce, but it took 6 months of no contact with his son (we lived several states away, he was being abusive by phone AND letter, and I started not letting husband see his letters and told father in law husband wasn't home everytime he called. husband was very fragile mentally at the time and couldn't handle it. father in law finally asked for a truce, which was immediately granted. BUT he knows not to mess with me because i WILL make it stop.)

Anyway, Jess was upset because father in law asked her what about when you are in college, what will you do then? Being MY daughter she said if she needed to she would go to school online. And WALKED AWAY FROM HIM! I am proud of her, because if she had not said anything he would see it as a weakness and poke at her about it forever. I will talk to him about it at Christmas. (we won't see or hear from them until then).

It IS nice to have a name for it. But I will worry until it is GONE. She just spent 45 minutes shaking nonstop in my arms.

This bites. I think Mon I will ask them to rx a different medicine for the shaking. I don'twant to wait until Tues. The shaking has her whole body tensing and ending up in a lot of pain.