MORE pet food recalls (dry food, now, too)

Nancy

You know what surprises me from all this Janet? I never realized we imported wheat gluten from China for anything let alone dog food. It makes me wonder what else we are eating from other countries that do not have the same FDA inspections that we do and what controls are in place to make sure any food product that we do import is free of harmful substances.

Nancy

DammitJanet

Well I thought of mad cow disease...so then I thought of eating just veggies...but then I thought...oh wait...WHEAT!...nope...no veggies.

So I will raise my own cows and pigs and chickens, plant my own garden and go back to that. Anyone want to say Ma and Paw Kettle? LOL.

donna723

I think I'm going to take my girls and we'll go live with the Mennonites! But even they probably buy dog food!

The girls had their homemade hamburger/turkey/veggie/scrambled eggs breakfast for the first time this morning and all three dived into it like starving famine victims! All I could hear was snorts and grunts and dog lips smacking! They LOVED it! /

I'm seriously thinking of replacing their dry food with something else too until all this blows over. Rice, maybe?

DammitJanet

Rice would be my choice since we cant trust the WHEAT now in people food...lol. There goes our wonder bread!

Oatmeal might still be ok.

Where does rice come from? LOL.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Where does rice come from? LOL.

First thing that popped into my head too.

Well, I just plain don't have the extra time to prepare homemade meals for 3 large dogs and 2 cats. Please! I don't even have the time to make husband and the kids a homecooked meal 90% of the time. Ack!

I'm going to have to go doggie/cat food shopping soon. I'll just have to take a copy of the list with me I suppose and keep my fingers crossed.

When there is a recall, the stores should have removed all recall items from the shelves and returned them to the company though. I remember having to do it way back when I worked for Meijer's.

I hope they get this cleared up soon.

donna723

Daisy -

I did this on Sunday and put up several days worth in freezer bags, then just thawed one bag in the microwave this morning. Of course, I was standing at the stove scrambling eggs for them at 6:00 a.m.! It probably wouldn't be too practical though if you have BIG dogs. I have two "littles" and one "medium".

DammitJanet

I have one big and one medium dog. So far we havent switched the big dog over. He is still eating the 50 lbs of dog food we bought before the whole issue with dry came out and I have checked that and his has corn gluton in it.

Now the medium one does eat some of the dry food with the big dog..big dog is outside dog and medium dog is inside dog. Medium dog will sneak into the food bowl outside sometimes. But inside I am just scraping plates into his bowl and adding extras to it to fill it up. He has always got his fair share of scraps so that is not new. I think he thinks this is the next best thing to a holiday...lol.

Lothlorien

I can't give my dog eggs. She will let loose all over my house. I just had to clean my rugs last week. I think it was the Alpo, which ended up on the recall list this past weekend. Hopefully, she didn't get to much of it to cause kidney failure. So far, she seems fine. I have to buy her dry food soon and I don't know what to get. I think I may stick to rice and chop meat.

donna723

Loth, I found this on the Purina website a few days ago. It's only a very small percentage of the canned Alpo, from just one plant, that was contaminated. The little codes for the plant and manufacture date are on the bottom of the can. I checked the cans I had already bought and they were different from what it shows here. Unless yours are the same as this, you probably don't have to worry. Just to be on the safe side though, I haven't given mine any more and I'll stick with their homemade stuff until all this blows over.

http://www.purina.com/

"The contamination occurred in a limited production quantity at only one of Purina's 17 pet food manufacturing facilities.

Consumers should immediately stop feeding their dogs ALPO Prime Cuts products with the date codes listed below and consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their pet.

The recalled 13.2-ounce and 22-ounce ALPO Prime Cuts cans and 6-, 8-, 12- and 24-can ALPO Prime Cuts Variety Packs have four-digit code dates of 7037 through 7053, followed by the plant code 1159. Those codes follow a "Best Before Feb. 2009" date. This information should be checked on the bottom of the can or the top or side of the multi-pack cartons."

Kathy813

Staff member
Janet ~ Thanks for the idea of checking the ingredients. I feed my dog the Science Diet dry food for mature dogs. We had long thrown the bag away since 20 lbs feeds my little shih tzu for about 6 months.

So I went to the Hill's website and checked the ingredients and was relieved to find that it contains corn gluten so it should be safe.

One other note for those who have switched to organic pet food. There was a segment on our local news on the pet food recall and it mentioned that many have switched to organic foods. It cautioned, though, that many organic foods do not contain the necessary nutrients ~ particularly when it comes to cat food. The reporter suggested calling your vet for a recommendation of what organic brand to buy.

~Kathy

DammitJanet

Isnt it nice we have been forced to become so well versed in nutrition for animals...lmao. I didnt even know that wheat or corn had gluten until this. Or if I did, I had lost it into the recesses of my mind.

Before this I just looked at the dog or cat food bag and picked it out by whichever one looked yummiest by the pictures on the outside. Or which one was cheapest that week. When I can afford it I love to get those tender meaty morsel chewy kinds for the dogs that supposedly taste like a stew. At least they look like a stew to me...lol. I dont think my dogs care a bit.