MORE pet food recalls (dry food, now, too)

dreamer

The info I have found so far is sketchy, but I heard yesterday around noon time that melamine has been found in dry pet food.

Nancy

Also they cannot confirm that aminoptern was in the wet food, they now believe it is the plastic chemical melamine.

I always thought that dry food would be tainted gtoo.

I did get an email from the makers of Nutro telling me that they do not use any wheat glutin or imported grains from China in making their dry food and that their dry food is made in a completely seperate plant and is not tainted at all. I'm glad since I'm still using the dry food in addition to new food until she gets use to it, but I still won't go back to them.

I'm now using all natural or organic dog foods.

Nancy

donna723

The website for one of our local TV channels is now saying that they are pulling some of the Alpo canned dog food varieties too. THIS IS WHAT I FEED MY THREE DOGS!!! I just bought several more cans this morning! Now I'm really scared! They said that Purina also used the questionable wheat gluten from China in making Alpo. But the way it's worded on the website, it's hard to tell if they're talking about one specific variety or all of the canned ones. It said "Alpo-brand prime cuts in wet gravy". There is a specific variety called "Prime Cuts in Gravy", but it's not capitalized on the website, so you can't tell if they mean that one specific kind or all the canned food in gravy! I don't give mine that variety ... they're "Beef Stew" fans ... but I wish they had been more specific! Now I'm going to be worried sick and watching them constantly!

I'm going to look on the Purina website next and see what I can find.

donna723

Well, I feel a little bit better now...

http://www.purina.com/

"The contamination occurred in a limited production quantity at only one of Purina's 17 pet food manufacturing facilities.

Consumers should immediately stop feeding their dogs ALPO Prime Cuts products with the date codes listed below and consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their pet.

The recalled 13.2-ounce and 22-ounce ALPO Prime Cuts cans and 6-, 8-, 12- and 24-can ALPO Prime Cuts Variety Packs have four-digit code dates of 7037 through 7053, followed by the plant code 1159. Those codes follow a "Best Before Feb. 2009" date. This information should be checked on the bottom of the can or the top or side of the multi-pack cartons."

But only a little better! Mine have been eating this stuff forever! From what they say, it was just from one of their 17 plants, and the plant code on the cans I bought is different. I would think that what is in the stores here would come from the same processing plant all the time, probably whichever one is closest, but who really knows! I'm still scared!

DammitJanet

Now that it is hitting dry food it is getting a bit bothersome. What on earth are we supposed to feed the animals?

I have large dogs and really dont think I can afford to cook for them but I may have to go that route. I have noticed it seems to be the purebreds that seem to be getting ill though. I wonder if that old saying about how you cant kill a mutt is holding true.

Anyway...I found these recipes for pet foods and treats in case anyone was interested:

As a pet owner, no doubt you want to give your dog or cat the best care possible. And caring for your pet means feeding him the best diet you can.
Animals, because they are color blind, choose their foods by smell. Most dogs like gamey flavors best, as well as liver, fat, garlic, horsemeat, lamb, beef, cheese and fish. Cats enjoy chicken, liver, fish, turkey, lamb, and yeast, and prefer fresh to aged flavors.
Remember that cats are fussy eaters and it is not wise to continually feed them their favorite foods. Soon they will refuse to eat anything else; it is your job to see your cat has a balanced diet.
Animals do not need salt added to their diet as the natural salt in the food is enough for them.
Dogs may eat any vegetable they want, but cats should not have any starchy veggies, like peas and corn. Some dogs and cats even enjoy fruits! Onions are potentially harmful to dogs.
It's a good idea to always add a grain, such as Kibble, wheat germ, cooked oatmeal or whole wheat bread to meat dinners. For dogs use 75% carbohydrate foods (grains and vegetables) to 25% meat; for cats use half carbohydrate foods to half meat.
You will find, once you begin making your own pet foods, that it is really relatively simple and you will save some money as well. remember that all pet foods should be served at room temperature; don't serve food cold from the refrigerator nor hot from the stove.
Incidentally, you should know that cats should be fed three times a day, while an adult dog needs only one meal a day.
Here are some pet recipes you can make at home:

SAUTEED LIVER

Heat 1 teaspoon corn oil in a pan.

Add 1/4 pound beef liver and fry on both sides until cooked but not dry inside.

Add 1/2 cup water to the pan and mix it up with all the brown bits.

For dogs, cut the liver into pieces and serve; for cats, grind the liver in a blender, using the pan juices.

CHICKEN SOUP

Combine 1 chicken liver, 1 giblet, 1 chicken heart, 1 chicken neck, 2 cups water and 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley.

Cover and simmer until the giblet is tender.

Chop all the meat for dogs removing bones and mix with kibble; for cats, you may want to grind the meat in the blender.

VEAL STEW

Combine 1/2 pound stewing veal, 1 cup canned tomatoes, 1 cup water, 1 chicken bouillon cube, parsley and a dash of garlic powder in a pot and simmer.

When meat is tender, remove all the bones.

For dogs, cut the meat in chunks, and mix stew with kibble or some other grain; for cats, grind the stew in blender, adding a tablespoon of wheat germ or 1/2 slice of whole wheat bread.

LIVER COOKIES

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine 1/2 cup dry milk and 1/2 cup wheat germ; drizzle 1 teaspoon honey on top.

Add one 3 1/3 oz. jar of strained liver baby food or homemade blended liver and stir until everything is well mixed.

Form the mixture into balls; place them on an oiled cookie sheet and flatten them with a fork.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes.

Consistency should be fudgy.

Store in a jar in the fridge; freeze if keeping more than a few days.

LAMB STEW

Follow the recipe for Veal Stew, using chunks of lamb instead and leaving out the tomato if desired.

MACKEREL DINNER

Heat 1 tsp. corn oil in a skillet and fry 1 small mackerel until it flakes apart easily. Remove and cool. Pour 1/2 cup hot water into the pan and scrape the brown bits into it. Remove the bones from the fish and mix with the juice. For dogs, serve in pieces with kibble; for cats, grind with the pan juices.

FISH COOKIES

Follow the recipe for Liver Cookies but use instead 3 1/2 ounces of mashed and boned mackerel, either canned or freshly cooked.

BEEF COOKIES

Following the recipe for Liver Cookies, using cooked beef puree instead.

DOG MORSELS

* 2 cups whole wheat flour
* 2 tsp. garlic powder
* 2 cups white flour
* 1 cup skim milk powder
* 2 eggs
* water
* 1/2 cup melted beef or pork drippings (or lard)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix ingredients together with enough water to make a stiff dough. Roll out and cut into Christmas shapes. Bake on cookie sheet until hard.
KITTY TREATS

* 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup flour
* 1/2 cup tuna oil, chicken broth or beef bouillon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all ingredients into a dough. Dust hands with flour and form small, 1/2-inch-thick, round "biscuits". Set on greased cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes (or until biscuits are slightly browned).

Cool 30 minutes before serving.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, if mine won't be able to eat dog food it'll be table scraps for sure.

Does anyone know if this is affecting the generic brands at all?? Mine eat the generic lamb and rice from wallie world.

DammitJanet

So far I havent heard that it is. I am a bit worried about that too Lisa.

Mine eat the generic stuff too. Actually we buy whatever is on sale. But if I have to make it for them they are gonna be eating awfully cheap rice, chicken scraps and dented canned veggies. Maybe I can cook it all up on a weekend and freeze it. I guess a box of chicken livers wouldnt be that expensive and we have chickens on the yard I could gather some eggs to use.

donna723

Well, I'm off to the grocery store to buy "dog food"! I'm getting hamburger, some extra eggs, and some store-brand canned mixed veggies, maybe some chicken. I'm going to give them this for a while instead of their regular canned Alpo until this is all sorted out. More expensive but I don't care! The Purina website said the contamination was very limited, to a specific kind manufactured in only one plant on a certain date, but all this seems to change daily, and I don't trust any of them any more. Why the delay in Purina announcing that they too used the contaminated wheat gluten???

My three get a good quality store-brand dry food that they really like, that was NOT a part of the recall. In the mornings I always mixed it with the canned Alpo for their breakfast. I imagine they will like hamburger and scrambled eggs for breakfast even more!

donna723

OK, I'm back from the store ... I've been sitting here cyphering and counting on my fingers and I've figured out that the "human food" I just bought for my dogs for the next five days cost maybe a DOLLAR MORE than buying them two 13.2 oz. cans of Alpo per day! They get dry food too, but in the mornings I was splitting two cans of Alpo between the three of them, mixed with their dry food. The canned food is 75 cts. per can, $1.50 per day. For not much more than that I just bought them about two lbs. of hamburger, two lbs. of ground turkey, three cans of mixed veggies and two dozen eggs! I browned the hamburger and turkey together, drained it, mixed in the canned vaggies, and divided it into five freezer bags. In the morning, I'll scramble them a few eggs, add in the meat/veggie mixture, and mix this delightful concoction in with their dry dog food!

It comes out to about the same amount of food as in two 13.2 oz. cans, they will like this better, it's probably better for them, and I won't have to worry that their canned dog food might be contaminated! It's a little more work, but I can make them a weeks worth at one time. Not bad!

Nancy

LOL Donna, I'm sure your dogs will be very apprecaitive. Our vet suggested I do that with mine and I'm considering it seriously. I always thought table food was bad for them but he claims it's much healthier for them.

Nancy

DammitJanet

And dont forget if you decide to go off dry food, just use rice, bread or oatmeal as a filler. Dogs need like 25% protein. You can get day old bread at the bread store. I imagine whole wheat bread would be better.

Gosh...now we are feeding the dogs better than the humans!

donna723

Nancy, it probably wouldn't be good for them if you gave them leftovers or table scraps that had been cooked to human tastes. But this is fresh meat cooked with no salt or other seasonings that people would want, and I drained all the fat off, then added the plain unseasoned drained mixed veggies right out of the can. And tomorrow morning I will scramble three eggs (approx. one each) and mix them in, and put this with their dry food. Probably very bland for human tastes, but I gave them a sample and they loved it! My middle "child", Ragan, was in the kitchen when I was cooking this up and begging for a taste. I gave her a tiny bite of raw ground turkey ... she didn't like it. She walked around with it in her mouth for a few minutes and then patooied it out on the dining room carpet. She loves it cooked though.

I think the problem with giving dogs "human food" is probably that it is so high in fat, salt and other seasonings. And I wouldn't give them "prepared" food intended for humans. I know a lady who fed her Chihuahua exactly what she ate, no dog food at all, and on his steady diet of pizza and canned spaghetti his weight was twice what it should have been (hers too! and he almost died of pancreatitus! But I don't think that giving them the foods, just fresh meats and vegetables in "pure" form would hurt them. I'm not sure how many eggs are "too many" for a dog but they're good for their skin and coat. If the truth be known, we've probably been feeding our dogs and cats healthier food all along than what we've been eating ourselves!

I have yet to see a dog or cat chowing down on a triple-decker bacon cheeseburger and large fries! Not that they wouldn't want to .....

Nancy

ROFL Donna. I know table scaps are not good for animals. On Saturday night we give our dog some cut up steak but even that I rinse off to try to get most of the seasoning off.

We use to brown lean ground meat and mix it with rice when our dogs got sick, no seasoning of course. I think I'll try some scrambled egss tomorrow for her. She will be very happy. She's already acting much perkier and lively off her regular food and her fur is very soft so I think the all natural food is agreeing with her.

Nancy

dreamer

the whole thing has my oldest difficult child totally freaking out, crying and near hysterical. everytime they add more foods to the recall, she flips out more. Sadly, I find myself also scared near to death. I am so ....paranoid, watching every breathe our 4 pets take! We have lost so many of our beloved very close humans in the last year, I just do not think we could handle to lose any of our pets on top of it.

DammitJanet

Now there is more...Del Monte!

Pet Owners' Confusion, Anxiety Increases With Del Monte Recall

Is anything on those pet food shelves safe to feed your beloved cat or dog?

Pet owners across the U.S. are angry and confused about the recent pet food recall. Owners have experienced anxiety and fear while some are in shock over the sudden illness and in some cases, untimely death of their pets.

What began two weeks ago on March 16 with the recall of 60 million cans and pouches of wet, "cuts and gravy" cat and dog food seems to be expanding daily and has now expanded to even dry dog food.

On Saturday, DelMonte Foods took it a step further, voluntarily recalling select product codes of its pet treat products sold under the Jerky Treats®, Gravy Train® Beef Sticks and Pounce Meaty Morsels® brands as well as select dog snack and wet food products sold under private label brands. The company has also designated two phone numbers that pet owners can call for information, 866-463-6738 and 866-895-2708.

Menu Foods initiated the recall after receiving reports of sickened animals and has admitted that they withheld making the recall until they could determine if their pet foods were responsible. Company officials said since the recall began, they have received more than 300,000 complaint calls.

On Friday, Purina Foods recalled 13.2-ounce and 22-ounce ALPO Prime Cuts cans and 6-, 8-, 12- and 24-can ALPO Prime Cuts Variety Packs have four-digit code dates of 7037 through 7053, followed by the plant code 1159. Those codes follow a "Best Before Feb. 2009" date. This information should be checked on the bottom of the can or the top or side of the multi-pack cartons.

Purina's 5.3-ounce Mighty Dog® pouch products, manufactured by Menu Foods, were previously withdrawn from the market as a precaution on March 16 as part of the Menu Foods recall. ONLY Mighty Dog pouch products and specific date codes of ALPO Prime Cuts canned dog food are being recalled, for the moment, according to Purina. Consumers can call 1-800-218-5898, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CDT, to receive more information.

On Friday, following an announcement by the federal Food and Drug Administration that wheat gluten containing melamine, a chemical banned in this country and used to make plastics and fertilizer in Asia, had been found in tested pet food, Hill's Pet Nutrition recalled its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry cat food, becoming the first manufacturer to recall its dry pet food. The food included wheat gluten from the same supplier that Menu Foods used. The recall didn't involve any other Prescription Diet or Science Diet products, said the company, a division of Colgate-Palmolive Co. Hill's said no other Hills Prescription Diet or Science Diet products were affected by the voluntary recall. http://www.hillspet.com

Del Monte initiated its voluntary recall after the FDA announcement. They said adulteration had occurred in a limited production quantity on select product codes of the brands name. This recall removes all Del Monte pet products with wheat gluten procured from this manufacturing facility from retail shelves. For additional information about the Del Monte recall, contact the Consumer Hotline at (800) 949-3799.

Although Nutro canned and pouched pet foods are included on the Menu Foods recall list, Nutro Products says its dry pet foods do not contain wheat gluten. Company officials say that Nutro's dry pet foods do not contain imported grains and are not produced by Menu Foods. Nutro customers may check Nutro's website or contact Nutro's Consumer Hotline (800) 833-5330 for further information about its products.

While the official death toll is still listed at 16, it's likely that the figure is much higher with hundreds, maybe thousands of cats and dogs incurring kidney failure as a result of ingesting contaminated pet food. Veterinarians say that thousands of dogs and cats could be affected and say that the scope of the problem is being seriously underreported. According to the Veterinary Information Network website, there have been 104 deaths attributed to the contaminated food and others are still undergoing treatment.

If your pet displays symptoms of vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, decreased or increased output of urine, difficulty urinating, more of less frequent urination or increased drinking or decreased drinking, contact your veterinarian immediately.

With the increasing number of products being added to the pet food recall, many owners becoming desperate in trying to insure their pet's health. Many owners are turning to natural and organic pet foods while others are making their own pet foods.

Veterinarians generally warn that table foods will not provide the nutrients needed by dogs and cats.

Cats should not be fed onions. Dogs can eat whatever vegetable they want although vets warn against tomato sauce due to the high acidic content, but cats should not have any starchy vegetables such as peas and corn. Some dogs and cats will even eat fruits. Grains such as Kibble, wheat germ, cooked oatmeal or whole wheat bread should be added to meat dinners for pets. For dogs use 75% carbohydrate foods (grains and vegetables) to 25% meat; for cats use half carbohydrate foods to half meat.

All pet foods should be served at room temperature, not cold from the refrigerator or nor hot from the stove. Cats need to be fed three times a day while an adult dog needs only one meal a day.

Nutritionists suggest for a typical dog meal, cooking some chicken and adding vegetables such as carrots, green beans, peas and a bit of tomato, rice or a cooked potato, and sardines, a good source of vitamin B12, essential fatty acids and calcium. As an alternate calcium source, ground eggshells, calcium carbonate or a kelp-derived natural supplement can be used.

Nutritionists say the most important component of home-feeding is to make sure that you are giving your animal a good vitamin and mineral supplement to avoid any nutritional imbalances.

There are cookbooks on the market with recipes about making your own dog food, such as "The Good Food Cookbook for Dogs" by Donna Twichell Roberts (Quarry Books) which includes this recipe for meatloaf for dogs.

MEATLOAF
3/4 cup water
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 3/4 pounds meatloaf mix (combination of ground beef, pork and veal (or chicken or turkey).
1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon ketchup
Bring water to boil in a small skillet. Add carrot and celery. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly to combine.

Place meatloaf on foil-lined baking sheet. Form into a bone shape measuring approximately 9 inches long by 5 inches wide by 1 1/2 inches high. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven about 1 hour.

Remove from oven and let cool about 10 minutes. If desired, spread additional ketchup or mild barbecue sauce on top of meatloaf, pipe mashed potatoes around the lower edge, and garnish with a cheese slice cutout. Makes 1 meatloaf.

SRL

I don't know about dog food but I know there are many cat foods on the market that don't contain wheat gluten, the ingredient that is being linked to the toxin. I need to get my kitty off kitten food but as his kitten food contains only corn gluten I'm going to sit tight until this all passes.

The company websites having ingredient lists for their products.

DammitJanet

COTT JAGOW: Here's the latest on the contaminated pet food: The FDA has told inspectors not to allow wheat gluten from a certain Chinese company into the U.S. This wheat gluten was found to contain a chemical called melamine. It's not supposed to be in pet food, but nobody's confirmed that it caused any cats or dogs to die. And there's no evidence melamine is in the food we eat. But then again, as Bob Moon reports, it just might be.
BOB MOON: Some blogs were abuzz with speculation the tainted wheat gluten may have reached the general food supply after Del Monte confirmed the suspect ingredient used in some of its pet food products was a "food grade" additive suitable for human consumption.

At UC-Davis, veterinary toxicology professor Birgit Puschner says limited studies suggest the toxic effects of melamine are different between cats, dogs and people.

BIRGIT PUSCHNER: From what's known from the data on humans, it doesn't appear to be a compound that we have to be highly concerned about.

And the head of the University of Georgia's Center for Food Safety, Michael Doyle, sounds less-than-confident that he's not already consuming, say, breakfast cereal tainted with the chemical.

MICHAEL DOYLE: Certainly does raise questions. I feel safe if it's made by a major company that I know has in place rigid criteria for ingredients that they put into their products.

The FDA says there is no evidence at this time to suggest that any of the suspect wheat gluten made it into the human food supply.

But one source familiar with the industry told us, "Nobody seems to know that with absolute certainty."