More Snow On the Way..........

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
In Maine we had electric heat, spent $10,000.00 converting to oil. Thermostats were still electric so, no electric=still no heat. We lost power a lot living in the woods. We had one wood stove, we kept that going all night during black outs and slept in that room. I was always a wreck because of the kerosene lamps and the candles, so I would get very little sleep. Water was unavailable because the well had an electric pump. We could not flush the toilets, could not give water to the 4 dogs, could not cook.

In our second Maine house we had oil heat, a propane gas oven and 5 working fireplaces and during the great ice storm of '98 we kept 3 hearths going. At least there we could cook, had water and use the toilets.

That's why Yankees are tough and I decided I had no desire to be tough for all of my remaining life. So how come I'm stuck at home in a blizzard in MD???

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
FINALLY the snow has arrived....but of course, I don't care about snow days anymore now that I spent the entire day at the office. Poo!

DDD - we have oil baseboard heating in our home. We also have a generator for when the power goes out - MOSTLY because we have well water which runs on a pump and when there is no power, guess what? We can't flush. So, when we use the generator we power only the fridge, the pump, the burner for heat and maybe one light and possibly the stove for cooking. I occasionally like losing power - it creates downtime I ordinarily wouldn't allow for.

mstang67chic

Going Green
DDD, we have a gas furnace but it too has an electric thermostat. If we lose power, we're up a creek so to speak. Our stove however, is gas so we could still cook. As we're in town, the water isn't generally an issue.

Growing up though.....THAT was a different story. The house I grew up in was in the country and had no central heating. When we moved in, there was a fuel oil heater in the kitchen that was for the entire 2 story house. It only took a couple of coooooold winters before my dad ripped that out and put in a wood burning stove in another room. I don't remember ever losing electricity but if we had, the only thing it would have affected would have been the well pump and the kitchen stove. But.....with the wood stove, we could always cook on that or on the kerosene heaters we had. The water would have been an issue but we've made do when pipes froze and collected clean snow and used that for the absolute necessities. There were also times when it would be so cold that we would shut off all but the bathroom, stove room, dining room and kitchen. We camped out on the dining room floor and shut up the rest of the house so we could stay warm.

We did have one winter when not only did our water lines freeze but so did the OUTGOING plumbing. Meaning.....we couldn't flush. So....we placed 2 five gallon buckets in the bathroom as well as a stack of paper grocer bags. One bucket was for liquids and the other was used along with the paper bag. Once you were done, you removed the bag, rolled it up and tossed it in the wood stove to dispose of it.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Soooo 'Stang, inquiring minds want to know....what exactly does burning poo smell like? Somehow I can't evoke a comparison and I grew up using those awful "Turkish toilets", no flush!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stang heat your house with the stove. I put up blankets in the kitchen doorways. Keeps the kitchen nice and toasty. If we don't want toasty I let them down and let it heat the down stairs. Stays about 65 degrees. Not too bad. The rest of the house is a different story. lol

Someday I dream of owning a generator.

Triple D I don't know of any organization that helps with food ect if the power goes out. You'd either better have wonderful family or wonderful neighbors or be the survivor type.

I just got a phone call that the College is on a 2 hr delay tomorrow. I nearly fainted. It has never announced it this early before. They're the wait until the last second type. I guess that snow is still blowing bad on the highways.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
A couple of years ago we had a nasty windstorm that knocked the power out for 3 1/2 days. The week before husband had gotten a generator for the business. Guess what we used?!

All of our stuff is electric. We have a woodburning stove, but if the power goes out we are stuck as the fan is electric. Right now it's not working since all of our wood is buried under 16" of snow. husband is sick and the kids flat refuse as do I - the house is a toasty 60 degrees. I can wear sweaters LOL!

I have a small space heater in my craft room. When I am not in there, it's off - and the room is like a freezer in the winter! However, it also has a simple thermostat, so I turn it on to low when I'm in there and it's nice and warm.

My road has finally been plowed, though I'd like someone to teach the city plow drivers how to actually do a decent job. The small hill takes a running start to get up!

smallworld

We made it through the blizzard this time without a power outage!!! Now we just need our county to dig us out. They suspended all plowing yesterday during the storm . . .

DammitJanet

I called Jamie yesterday and he said they had somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 or so inches there. He hasnt worked but 2 days in the last week I think he said. I guess that was over the weekend when he had to man the shelters. They wont let him out on the roads in their expensive trucks...lol.

I told him not to let Hailie out because they would lose her in that much snow!

DDD

I'm not extremely religious :redface: but God used his infinite wisdom when he allowed me to be born in Florida! Thanks for answering my questions. I've
always been curious.

by the way, in our community the private gas company (also AC/heat people) have been successful in selling a new service. They either place a huge
tank outside your home or bury it that automatically kicks in gas power when the electric power goes out. In my neighborhood two families have
had the installation done and their homes are gleaming with light when the rest of us sit in darkness during power outages. It's too pricey for us since we don't often have hurricanes but I think that envy only raises its ugly head when we see normal life continuting for some why we sit in darkness.

I hope this winter storm is over soon so you guys don't have to worry about basic needs. Hugs. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
THE POWER OF THE BOARD!!!!!!!!!

WE ARE SUPPOSTA HAVE SNOW TOMORROW!!!!!!!

KEEP WISHING FOR FLAKES FOR THE FLAKES!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO........:laugh:

Star*

call 911........call 911
YES!!!!! I SHALL TAKE SOME OF YOUR SNOW STEP!!!! Matter of fact....I shall just come there and stay there. :D

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
DDD

I don't think I'd be thrilled to own a gas tank outside in a hurricane area. I just think KABOOM! Underground, maybe. Generator would most likely be much cheaper.......and they are just as efficient. My stepdad had one and it ran our house as if the electric was still on. :)

Starbie.....if you promise not to look at my messy house, I also have room. I'm sure Molly and Betsy would love to play in the snow with you. :D