mother in law Moved In

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thank GAWD!!! :tongue:

mother in law is all moved in to the ALF. She seemed to take to it right away, wanting to try steering her wheelchair around the room to make sure she could manuver ok, checking out what we'd bought and moved in. I did my best to grab things she uses on a daily basis from every room in the house. I think I did pretty good, she hasn't ask for anything else yet. lol

She did amaze me by deciding to do for herself. And I was pleasantly surprised as I watched her carefully transfer from wheelchair to recliner, wheelchair to toilet, wheelchair to couch, ect. She even called me to let me know she'd gotten herself ready for bed last night alone. Oh, and that she loves the food there.........sooooo much better than what was offered at the nursing home. lol

She has her own phone plus the cell. And her cable will be turned on tomorrow so she'll be able to watch tv. Staff made it clear to her that this is an apartment, they are only there to help when she wants it and to check to make sure she's ok, otherwise what she does or doesn't do is up to her. mother in law told me she'll take her meals in her room for a few days until she gets used to the new place, then may venture out into the common rooms, make a beauty parlor appointment, and eat in the dinging room. LOL Wow. That's huge for mother in law!

Staff is super nice and come running when she pulls the call string which sends a message directly to the pager they keep on them at all times. And since there are only 1 or 2 others who need that type of assistance.....there is no waiting like she did in the nursing home.

The medication issue has come up again. :ashamed: I know it is because of how the stupid doctor writes the orders. mother in law didn't want me to come out and talk to them. She's calling doctor herself in the morning.......I have a feeling he's going to get blasted. lol But I don't think they're giving her a weaker pain medication......I think she's hurting more because she was moving more yesterday than she has in 2 months. She over did which sent her pain thru the roof.

But overall.........She seems to like it. I think she'll grow to love it. I had many residents and their families tell me while we were moving her in that they really loved living there and how wonderful the staff were.:redface:

Now maybe my life can get more back to normal.....whatever that is. whew!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so glad! I remember helping my Gma get ready to move to an ALF. She got so much stronger and healthier because she was happy and interested and made friends, plus had some old friends also move in. She actually got far stronger than ANYONE ever dreamed of. She lived many happy years after that, even though she faced some health crises, she managed to get much stronger after most of them.

I think having inviting food to eat will help build her strength. Having all the activities right there, and all the interesting people, will really help her.

You are a really good daughter. She is as lucky to have you as you are to have her.

mstang67chic

Going Green
That's GREAT!!!! Sounds like it is a huge relief for both you AND mother in law!!! To me, it sounds like she's finding it's much different than she imagined and is surprising herself by liking it!

Now....go sit...get yourself some sort of beverage and .... BREATHE!!!!

trinityroyal

Lisa, that's great news!
Sounds like the ALF is great. Like Susie, I've seen some of my older relatives really perk up and grow stronger when settled into an ALF. I guess knowing that the support is right there, and that you can still be as independent as you can manage, gives a feeling of safety and relief. And having social activities and other conveniences right there on site is great.

Now take Stang's advice. Sit down, relax, and BREATHE.

Trinity

DammitJanet

Im glad that she is liking it and that you can breathe a sigh of relief. Does she have a small fridge in her room? Maybe get her a few ensure drinks to keep in her room for snacking. Those are so good for them.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
She has a small frig and a microwave. And she's stocked up on snacks, simple foods.......although I may have to re-stock her by tomorrow at least on a few things.

I'm telling you...........If I ever have the funds and get to wear I really shouldn't be living independently........Shoot, I'd seriously consider an ALF! You should see how these residents have their apartments decked out! lol And someone cooking and cleaning and being at MY beck and call.........oh, yeah, I so could get into that. :rofl:

Star*

call 911........call 911
OMG you nearly shocked me to pieces. I thought when you said mother in law Moved in - you meant with YOU. (apparently I missed a post) lol. I sat here and thought. My poor friend - all the work and stress she has and I know she loves that woman but MY WORD how much is one person supposed to take.

Then I read ALH....and thought - OH prayers answered in a split second. I'm so happy she's doing well. I'm glad the food is better and I got tickled that she is thinking about beauty parlor appointment.

I'm happy that somethings are finally working out for the Daisy family -

Hugs
Star

and hey -since you're a nurse and all - and you're sketching....

Why don't you draw me a bath......get it? PFT......draw me a bath.....groan.....yeah well you come up with something funnier on this budget. :laugh: