mother in law update

tiredmommy

mother in law is now under the care of Hospice; this is a good thing. I noticed last night that her breathing is shallow, like panting. They've ordered oxygen for her. I warned husband that I don't think she's going to make the next 11 weeks, that she will most likely die sooner. Duckie is starting to pull away and be difficult at home, though she still behaves well in her grandmother's presence. On a side note: I went shopping and bought a few black outfits so I'm prepared for the inevitable.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
((hugs)) TM

Hospice is wonderful. They did an amazing job with mother in law keeping her pain levels managed.

Sending ((hugs)) to Duckie and husband too.

Keeping you all in my prayers.

DammitJanet

So sorry TM. Yes the panting does sound like a bad sign. Has the hospice given you all the pamphlets on what will happen when and what to look for as everything progresses? If not, I would ask them for them. They gave us some comfort in knowing what signs and symptoms we were seeing in my dad meant and it let us all be ready for the last moments in a timely manner.

I am sure Duckie is going to be going through a rough time for the foreseeable future. I would alert her teachers so they know whats going on. I know you will handle her well. You always do.

cubsgirl

I'm so sorry to hear this - but I agree that Hospice is just wonderful. They take such wonderful care of the patient and their families too. Blessings and hugs.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Sounds like father in law just before the end. The panting, oxygen, hospice. It was only a matter of days at that point.

I am so terribly sorry for you and your family - what you're going through is not easy, especially for Duckie. Sending warm thoughts, hugs and prayers for a peaceful end for mother in law.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lots of gentle hugs for your family, TM... This can be awful, but Hospice will help, and they are wonderful.

donna723

Hospice is such a blessing, not just for the patient but for the whole family. Sending many hugs to you and your family, TM.

tiredmommy

I'm a little concerned that the two brother in law's that are out of town don't understand that "12 weeks" means "up to 12 weeks", and not "at least 12 weeks". I spoke with sis-in-law in NC a few days ago and advised her that it would be best if they came sooner rather than later. brother in law in Ontario has pulled back considerably since the crisis began in January; I don't know if he'll even come for the funeral at this point.

Duckie (and I, for that matter) seem to be suffering from grief fatigue. There's been just too much of it in her lifetime. We just emerge from mourning and someone else dies. :(

crazymama30

Chain stokes breathing occurs usually when death is close, it can be a panting like breathing, but there are apnea like times and done gasping at times. Not trying to scare you, but I have done hospice work before and have been there several times when the person passed.