Mothers Day thread...the good, bad and ugly

BusynMember

I work on Mothers Day and its the busiest restaurant day of the year. Jumper works all weekend. As our family often does on holidays, to adjust to our schediueles, we switched Mothers Day to May 20, next Saturday. Next Sunday I am heading to Chicago to see my father, princess and my awesome grand.

What are youf plans, if any? Thoughts? Happiness? Despair? We are here for you.

KTMom91

Hubby's mom just got out of the hospital (she had sepsis), and I'm cooking dinner for her tonight. Tomorrow night, I'm cooking for my mom. Miss KT says my present is on the way, and she'll call tomorrow.

Both Sons usually text me, and I have no idea what, if anything, Hubby has planned.

ksm

My son took me out for lunch on Friday. My husband and I went out to eat breakfast today.

I don't like eating out on Mother's Day...too busy.

Ksm

BusynMember

It will be distantly interesting for me to see if oldest son remembers or bothers to call. Doubt it,but I will hear from the other three and next week will be with the two who live near me.

pigless in VA

I took my mother to lunch today, just the two of us. It was nice to spend time alone with her. SO and I are going to dinner with his sister tonight. Tomorrow we will take dinner to his mother since she no longer feels comfortable going out at night. She has trouble seeing in the dark.

I'm trying really hard to keep the sadness at bay. The rift that I have between me and my son is terribly depressing. He barely speaks to me anymore. It may change one day, but I don't expect it to anytime soon.

february

I work on Mothers Day and its the busiest restaurant day of the year. Jumper works all weekend. As our family often does on holidays, to adjust to our schediueles, we switched Mothers Day to May 20, next Saturday. Next Sunday I am heading to Chicago to see my father, princess and my awesome grand.

What are youf plans, if any? Thoughts? Happiness? Despair? We are here for you.

february

Iam sad about mothers day, my Borderline (BPD) son is not talking to me. His angry that he needs to move out. I have not heard from my other son. My husband and I will go to church and lunch. I am greatfull for my Ittle grandson
He wil call me up though.

Happy mothers day ladies, you all deserve it!

Love,
February

pigless in VA

So, I have to eat some crow. Ferb gave me two boxes of chocolates and a card. Inside the card he wrote, " I'm sorry for the way I have been, I really am. I hope sometime I can be forgiven because I do love you Mom even when I say otherwise or act otherwise. I'm glad to have you always here for me and I should appreciate and respect you more. Love, Ferb"

BusynMember

Well, il so happy for you, Pigless! Good for you and Ferb!!

For me, no surprises. Jumper sent a nice, lovinv text. Princess sent a text that made my eyes water and she also sent pictures of Baby. Sonic called.

I lightheartedly texted Oldest "Happy Mothers Day. right?"

With the reminder he called...lol.

pasajes4

Did mother's day on Saturday. I will be home today surrounded by music, a good book, a lovely meal from my favorite restaurant (brought it home yesterday).

We had a brilliant Saturday celebration. We saw the movie "Gifted". It was heartwarming and a good story. Granddaughter treated us to lunch and we hit the nail salon. My best friend and I went out for late night coffee and dessert and wound up talking until 3 a.m. I could not have asked for a better celebration. Mom was able to have lunch with us, but that was all she could handle.

susiestar

Roll With It
Pigless, I am thrilled that Ferb gave you such a wonderful card and a gift too! I think this is an amazing thing!!!

We had a good celebration. Low key, but that is my preference. We got together at my parents for dinner. Jess couldn't join us because she had to work for a sick coworker, and my brother came quite late, but it was nice.

I got a large set of colored pencils and a coloring book from hubby, thank you and Jess. Wiz got me a mystery to read. My mom gave me a purse size set of colored pencils and is going to buy some specialty cross stitch fabric for me, but I have to go over to her house and go online to buy it. It isn't something she can buy for me, exactly.

Bro took my mom out to breakfast yesterday, which is a big deal as he sort of hates to have anyone wait on him. Wiz gave her a book (we give a ton of books for gifts). I gave my mom a movie and a cashmere sweater.

Lil

Better late than never....

Approaching this Mother's Day has been hard for me this year. First, son being gone, homeless and well, who knows what going on there. Second, this year, June 21, marks 30 years since my own mother's passing....so the last Mother's Day I had her was 30 years ago and I keep dwelling on that.

But it was really a very nice weekend. First, my son texted Saturday that he was going camping with a friend for a week or two and wanted to wish me happy mother's day while he had wifi. That was nice. We had a meal with my cousin and her husband (really, it was my nephew's college graduation, but there were so many people we just chatted with the cousin.) Then Sunday was church and after that Jabber and I went fishing and had a picnic dinner. Last night I get another message from my son...who said, "Apparently "camping" takes place in a very nice hotel suite!" He sent me a photo of himself in the hot tub!

So...guess I can quit worrying about him for a bit. :p

All in all, a very nice time was had by all.

ksm

Survived Mothers Day. Youngest daughter posted a picture of me on FB...a flattering one! LOL) and said appropriate words. Actually is was very good.

From youngest:

Happy mother's day grandma. I know we have our ups and downs, but you are always there wanting me to make the right choices and succeed in life. You push me because you care enough to do so, and even though you hate when I'm mad at you, you still tell me things I don't want to hear just so I might take the right path in life. You mean the world to me and I hope you have a great day. I love you

The key word is MIGHT... As in I Might Take The Right Path.

Older daughter called and wished me Happy Mothers Day...that she loved me and appreciated me.

So that was good... Hope this week goes better than the past few!

Ksm

BloodiedButUnbowed

Well, SOMEONE has to bring the rain to every parade, so I guess on this thread it will be me that starts the downpour.

Mother's Day in our house began on Saturday. The plan was for younger stepson to spend the night with us. Difficult Stepson was to join us at our place Sunday morning for breakfast.

We picked up younger stepson on Saturday midafternoon. The day went well until around 7:00 pm. My wife and I got into an argument. It was a bad argument, which triggered younger stepson. Younger stepson disappeared into our basement. We have a walkout basement and I was joking with stepson earlier about "not needing to worry about (younger stepson) sneaking out of the house to smoke." At around 10:30 pm, I was upstairs looking out of a window when I happened to notice younger stepson standing on the sidewalk in front of the house, carrying his bags. I then noticed my wife's ex-husband. I realized immediately that younger stepson had called his father to essentially 'rescue' him from my wife and me - something he has done numerous times in the past.

He snuck out - he did not tell my wife or me that he was leaving. If I hadn't spotted him on the sidewalk quite by accident, we would have gone looking for him, found him gone and absolutely lost our minds.

I went outside and asked younger stepson if he would talk to me. We talked for a bit. In the end he came back into the house, spoke to my wife briefly, hugged me goodbye and left with his father. My wife and I had a good talk and resolved our argument, but of course we were both very sad and upset that younger stepson essentially ran away from us.

The following morning, Mother's Day, Difficult Stepson did not show up as arranged and did not respond to my wife's texts. And as we had expected, there was no word from younger stepson either.

So we went out to breakfast by ourselves and spent the remainder of the day with my mother and extended family. We had a good time with them and it helped to save the weekend from being a complete disaster.

I realized as all this was happening that I remain over-involved in my wife's relationship with her kids and I need to detach myself even further. This will be a big focus of mine moving forward.

Last edited:

ksm

I am sorry that things went the way that they did...but your younger son probably did what I would have wanted to do...leave an awkward situation.

Sometimes I just have to agree to disagree with my spouse, and wait for a better time to talk it out. Hope things go better in the future.

Ksm

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Saturday planted flowers around the patio. Sunday morning my son called me from his IOP early to wish me Happy Mother's Day and ask what we were doing for the day. He was getting ready for church (YAY!!!). His girlfriend also texted me a Happy Mother's Day. My heart goes out to her, she is only 18 her mother died last year. Father died when she was 12 - both due to addiction. Incidentally they have decided to be "friends" for now so he can focus on HIMSELF and his recovery (double YAY!)

Planted more flowers on Sunday - Gosh I am so sore - and went to dinner with my middle son and his girlfriend. Husband and I got romantic and then time for bed!

It was a good weekend and I do hope someday my youngest can spend it with us without me fearing him feeding his addiction.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Belle came over Saturday so Bill could change her oil and brakes. I gave her a card from us. Friends also came over, and Belle made a BIG deal about not celebrating Mothers' Day since biomom had passed (nearly 6 years ago) - which is untrue as she has celebrated it right up to this year. It stung, but whatever.

Pat is still not speaking to us.

Sunday, Bill, Rose and I went to my parents' and planted flowers for my mom, then the guys grilled out for us. We napped... And Bill apologized for dropping the ball and not getting me a card or any gift. He does not apologize often, so he's forgiven. Rose made me a card at Pre-K, but the teacher forgot she is Tuesday-Thursday only so it will probably come home tomorrow.

What bothered me was we got home from my parents', and Bill sat outside with a cigar while I did some laundry and washed dishes... I had to ask for help making the bed, he went downstairs while I tucked Rose in and when I got downstairs he was just lying on the unmade bed waiting for me to help him. I guess I should have just asked him to do it.

Kathy813

Staff member
Best Mother's Day in years! Difficult child had taken me out the Sunday before for lunch and a movie since she couldn't be with me on Mother's Day. She treated me to the movies and took me to a movie that I had mentioned I wanted to see . . . Beauty and the Beast. It was great! Then she called me on Mother's Day to wish me a wonderful day.

Youngest daughter met my husband and me for brunch and then she and I went off shopping for the day. She gave me a mug that said, "Thanks Mom. I turned out amazing." She also bought me a dress and a pair of earrings. We had a great time finding lots of bargains.

I couldn't have asked for a better day and having difficult child in recovery was the best present of all!

~Kathy

Last edited:

Wiped Out

Staff member
My day was a nice one. difficult child bought me a gift as did easy child/difficult child. husband did as well. We went out for breakfast and later I got a 2 hr. 20 minute nap while husband took the kids to a movie. Last night we went out to Dairy Queen.

pigless in VA

culturanta,

I'm sorry that it didn't turn out great. I really don't think the two of you arguing was a good reason to bail, but that apparently was too much for him. He should have told you he was leaving. Is there any way the two of you can disagree more quietly so as to keep things on a more even keel when he is around?