Mother's Day...what will you get your mom? or How do you plan on spending it Sunday?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Terry - around here Father's Day is HUGE, because husband missed so many of them wth BM refusing to allow the kids to see their Dad.

JJJ

I hate Mother's Day. It usually just reminds me of all I don't have -- so I usually try to spend it alone in a dark room.

P-nut2004

As far as my mom goes mother's day is bittersweet; she was an alcoholic when I was growing up and has since recovered but has not really been part of my life since I was 15 & left home. We have developed a phone & online relationship slowly over the last 5yrs, she lives 3000 miles away and we maybe talk once a month, it almost never goes well. I have seen her 6 times since I left 14yrs ago (2 of those I made the effort to go see her). It is very saddening to me that she is still somewhat there but was never a mother and will never be a grandmother to my girls.....but she is a 'wonderful' grandmother to my step-sisters' kids and has been their 'second mom' for years now. This may all be too much information but it helps to vent LoL So at any rate I usually send her a card, this year my little brother (who I raised) and I sent a bouquet to her so Im sure she'll be shocked. It always takes alot out of me just to pick out a card because they all seem to say things I dont feel.....given all of this Im not really a fan of MomsDay

As far as my mothers day plans Im sure the girls will make me some cute stuff, they always do & I love it. husband has improved over the last few years, the first 5 he did nothing & of course the kids were too little so I only got what they made at school & daycare.....now he atleast makes sure to do something but it usually involves me getting a 'day off' where no one else does anything either so I have double to do the next day. Also, we have had several very bad mother's day experiences....so yeah, not a fan and not looking forward to it, that way Im not disapointed

Sorry for being such a downer, I really do hope you all have a Happy Mother's Day :flowers:

Marguerite

For those of us who find Mothers Day brings up bad memories or has unpleasant connotations, why not make your own, new Mothers Day customs? Do something good for yourself, reach out to another mother like yourself (a friend perhaps, or even a total stranger). Say something spontaneously nice to a total stranger. Make sure it's genuine. For example, if I see a woman wearing a particularly flattering colour, I will go and tell her. It makes my day, as much as anyone else's.

For those who have ongoing close, loving relationships - cherish them. Never take them for granted. Mothers Day is just one day to remember to value those around us.

Marg

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Well, SO and I had plans to fly to Pgh to visit with my mom over the weekend since she doesn't have much time left - I am left to deal with a cousin who, I don't know exactly how to describe her - wack job control freak would be just as good a word as any I suppose. Had to cancel and will try again next weekend. Would really like to say my goodby's without any conflama, but since my family has a genetic predisposition to drama don't know if that is going to be possible. SO realllllyyyy doesn't want to go, but is insistant lest I flip out over strange people groping me at the airport, on the plane (am terrified to fly) or on my cousin who made the decision to take my mom off dyalsis and put her in hospice but not tell her what she was doing and what the end result will be.

Other than that, Jamie always takes me out to eat at The Pantry downtown (his favorite restaurant), Danny always gets me a card, and SO always gets me flowers. Don't think I will hear from the eldest as I am a horrible mother (mmm mmm mmmm there is that drama gene again). Even if all I got was a hug from everyone, that would be enough of a gift for me

Marcie

Star*

call 911........call 911
ladies LADIES????????????? THIS IS WHAT I AM SAYING...........HOW MANY OF YOU WILL JOIN ME IN HAVING A CD MOM - MOTHERS DAY CELEBRATION -
BECAUSE I AM SURE I AM NOT GOING TO BE REMEMBERED BY MY CHILD
- AND THAT'S OKAY DAY?
SO I WILL TAKE $5.00
AND DO SOMETHING NICE
FOR MYSELF
AND NOT COME BACK HERE TO THIS BOARD ON MONDAY
CRYING AND WHINING
BUT COME BACK MONDAY
AND TELL YOU ALL INSTEAD
SOMETHING NICE I DID FOR MYSELF INSTEAD??????????

A NEW CD BOARD TRADITION (NOT UNLIKE THAT CHRISTMAS CARD THING WE DO FOR EACH OTHER TO STAVE OFF CERTAIN HOLIDAY BLUES?)

I am game if you are.......and $5.00 is a small price to pay to keep each other happy...........

we could even do it like - secret santa - but instead of buying the gift for someone else - you buy the gift for yourself.

whaddya say?

Marguerite

At the risk of sounding very smug, five bucks currently buys more in Australia than it does in the US... my problem will be, there's nothing I really want to buy for myself on Sunday, and less opportunity. But I do expect to have a chance after church to sit and chat with friends for a while. That is worth a lot to me.

Marg

M

ML

Mother's Day can be a land mine of emotions both with our experience as mothers and with our own. I will take mom out to dinner, not sure what I will get her as a gift. It took me so many years to become a mother and for so many years MD represented something I would never know. I've spent the last 12 years releasing unrealistic expectations of what the experience should be and focused on appreciating what it is (Holland:)) I continue to keep expectations of others at zero and sometimes I'm surprised. For example last year my stepsons did nothing and that was ok. I actually thought of them that day because their own mother was an addict and too busy marrying her 7th or 8th husband to bother with them. So last year I called them to tell them what great kids they are and how their mother really missed out. This year my older SS R called saying he wants to take me to brunch.

I absolutey love Star's idea of the $20, absolutely briliant. Can I still do that?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Marg - tithing is still on the menu! -God would like that. It's still a gift.

ML - OM you slay me! I can't afford $20 right now but I think we should make it from $5 - $20 and then everyone come back on Monday and say what you got - lol. Now if THAT starts problems them someone is getting spanked. Like 'Well ML got herself a $20 ring and I could only get myself a dilly bar, cause I only had $5.00." Seriously - don't go there. lol

witzend

As I lay in bed this morning and remembered that last year L had texted me M Day afternoon, "Happy Mother's Day". That was it. (I understand that she and her 1/2 sister took their father out for Father's Day.) I had texted back "Thank you", but I thought it was appalling.

My thought this morning was that she will do it again, and I would reply "Seriously? Two years in a row you think it's enough to text me?" Or "Would you have been ok with it if I had just sent you a text on your birthday?" I didn't get anything for my birthday, either, for FWIW.

What do you all think?

I would say, "thanks". On her birthday, only send HER a text- "Happy Birthday". It's her turn to give you a gift, at her age, if she can't be bothered, don't you either. I mean she can't even be bothered to call????

Now think about what you'll get yourself that costs between $5 and $20....I know it'll be the best gift ever!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I will text my female friends who have children - Happy Mother's Day.

But not MY MOTHER.

Of course, once again the actual day is getting moved around, so she and I will celebrate Saturday. And I like the "between $5 and $20" idea. I might - or might not - do it, but I tell ya what, I AM sleeping in on Sunday.

P-nut2004

I def think the $5-$20 idea is great, and I def think we should all come back Monday & let everyone know how our Mday went and what we got ourselves. I've been pondering what I want...unfortunately I'll probably fall prey to my usual thriftyness and buy something I really need that I could justify buying any day (like underwear LoL) but thats just me :)

P

PatriotsGirl

So funny......I just told my son, the spaceshot, that Sunday is Mother's Day and I do expect him to come to me and say Happy Mother's Day on Sunday. He giggled and said it won't be like last year because difficult child isn't here. Pretty sad that even he knows she manages to make every holiday hades. Anyhow, he asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day!!? I told him I wanted him to clean his bedroom and bathroom and I will be ecstatic :D He said okay, so let's see - I will be pleased as punch if it gets done :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
I told Dude Sunday was Mother's Day. (long pause) then he says "Oh". I let it go. Then about 20 minutes later? I got a text with a picture of HIS house - and it was cleaned outside, yard mowed, concrete blocks put in place with pine straw flower beds made - and driveway swept......a few bushes trimmed......weeds pulled. trash hauled off. It looks very nice. Under the picture it says 'I cleaned my yard." I sat there and I thought - 'MmmHmmm" Then I get a second text and it said "Just so you know I was thinking of you when I did this - now my yard looks nice so when people drive by and see my house they don't think - Oh Star's son lives there and he's a pig." Now they think "Oh thats Stars sons place and doesn't it look nice?" Happy Mothers Day.

So any of you that drive by Dudes house - Think of me okay? ROFLM weed-whackadoodle off. OMG what a gift. and here I was thinking a card would be too much. He went and cleaned his yard for "ME"

Makes me want to take a picture of my hairy arm pit now--------then shave ---------then take a picture of me in a tank top with my arms up over my head waiving at him for his birthday - and post it to my FACE BOOK (if I could figure out how to use that thing)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Guess I better take that $5.00 and get myself a lawn chair. Correction - DF said - "A RAZOR"

SEE? Even in my own family? I live with clowns.

Last edited:

Marguerite

Hey, hon - at least he was thinking of you. While he got off his derriere and did something useful.

So your contribution to his life has not been a total waste, after all.

I do not tell my kids it's Mothers Day. No reminding. If they remember for themselves - good. I figure, if I had to remind them, any greeting is not of value.

Last year ALL of them wished me a happy mother's day. No cards or gifts, because we don't do that in our family (I'm cool with that, I don't want a gift, I just want my kids to acknowledge my contribution to their lives, it's worth far more than a card or a gift).
I suspect easy child got on the phone to her siblings and nagged them. Whatever. They still bothered. The timing was interesting, though - when they get reminded, the text messages go out at the same time, so the kids tend to call right after they get the messages. A log jam of phone calls!

It will be just my luck, they'll all call during church when I'm up the front and my bag is down the back. Note to self - must remember to switch off mobile phone...

Marg